PDA

View Full Version : 358431hb & 358429

jim 44-40
01-27-2012, 09:57 AM
Should be able to use same powder charge with both bullets right? Lead will be a BHN of 8. Powder charge is 5grs Unique in 38 special,what you guys think?

MT Gianni
01-27-2012, 11:46 AM
My only experience with HB bullets is with wadcutters. I use a light powder charge and try to make sure that the skirt seals. There is a danger if used with too heavy a charge that the skirt will tear and leave a piece in the bbl for the next shot to hit bulging a barrel. I like the 429 with heavy loads and a bhn of 12-16. If I owned both molds I would work up too different charges and two different hardness levels. I would also mark the nose or brass somehow to not ever confuse them. 38's run the gamit from light imports to the 38/44. Your loads should be developed for your gun and use.

jim 44-40
01-27-2012, 02:11 PM
My only experience with HB bullets is with wadcutters. I use a light powder charge and try to make sure that the skirt seals. There is a danger if used with too heavy a charge that the skirt will tear and leave a piece in the bbl for the next shot to hit bulging a barrel. I like the 429 with heavy loads and a bhn of 12-16. If I owned both molds I would work up too different charges and two different hardness levels. I would also mark the nose or brass somehow to not ever confuse them. 38's run the gamit from light imports to the 38/44. Your loads should be developed for your gun and use.

found this site {www.castpics.com} good read on hollow base bullets.Will take your advice and work on load for my Ruger[smilie=s: