PDA

View Full Version : Who has used precision bullets?

bjeffv
01-26-2012, 03:48 PM
I am looking into giving these a try, and was wondering if anyone here has already tried them out.

Specific bullet is the 45 cal 200gr SWC from them

Questions I have: Is the accuracy good? Is there any weight variation between the bullets? They say there is no leading, but what is left behind and how hard is it to clean off?

A pic on their website leads me to believe they are not bevel base, is this true? As maybe when seen in person there may be a small bevel.

Thanks
B

remy3424
01-27-2012, 09:24 PM
Are you talking about Delta Precision Bullets? If so, haven't used their cast product but shot-up 1K of their jacketed 9mms and another 1K waiting to go...cheapest j-words I could find for my glock...now shooting a springfield xdm, casting for that will be in my future.

uscra112
01-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Delta Precision: As far as I know they sell only swaged boolits, lubed with LLA or equivalent. I bought a big lot of them a while ago, wanting many more HBWC boolits for my .38 Spl. Colt O.M. than I have time to cast. Poor accuracy from my Colt O.M. 38 Special. Their SWC are no better in my .357, no matter how I load them. OK I guess for guys who shoot a lot of ammo that doesn't require bullseye accuracy, but they disappointed me. I'll use these up in practice and plinking.

If you mean Precision Bullets down in Texas, I don't know nothin'. But their web site implies that they may be polymer-coatiing their boolits.

There's a thread on those somewhere in the "Bullet Lube" forum....

joeatact
01-27-2012, 11:51 PM
I have used their 45acp and they run fine

pistolman44
01-28-2012, 02:01 AM
I also used them in my 45's with no leading. They lead bad in by new S&W 625.

bjeffv
02-01-2012, 12:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. Its the "black bullet" from the company in Texas. A couple ppl here seem to like them. I might get a small batch and test accuracy out of the same guns, so there can be a specific review.

uscra112
02-01-2012, 02:29 AM
Give us a URL and/or a link?

Valley-Shooter
02-01-2012, 03:15 AM
http://www.precisionbullets.com/

I shot about 5k of these bullets from my 45 acp back when I shot IPSC.

They worked great. No leading.

They were a pain to get. At the time the were making them in California and Texas. I lived north of Seattle. So shipping was expensive.

If I had a local distributor, I would buy them again.

jlm223
02-01-2012, 06:20 PM
I have loaded and shot these black bullets in my Taurus 1911 with good results, they have some kind of special coating on them.

Jammer Six
02-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I've used them.

No, they are not bevel base, the base is concave.

They do not leave significant residue at higher speeds, at low speeds they leave an oily, plastic like residue.

I did not weigh them.

They recommend against Titegroup, and my range outlawed them, which is why I have a three or four thousand of them.

bjeffv
02-07-2012, 03:57 PM
My plan would be to load them with ramshot silhoutte, and alliant Bullseye.

To jammer: did they ban them because they were messing up their "berm mining operations" or some other reason?

I did some reading and the consensus on the bevel base design seems to be that the bullets pop out of the mold better in automated casting situations.

Jammer Six
02-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I don't think so. They banned all lead bullets except .22 LR, and they didn't want to quibble about the Precision bullets when I asked.

That's my interpretation.

So I just started working up a .45 caliber, 230 grain FMJ with Hornady.

Jammer Six
02-07-2012, 08:41 PM
I know they don't actually mine the berm, they just clean it out and sell all the metal for scrap to one dealer, who provides all the equipment for the operation.

Watching, it looks like a pain. The use a Bobcat, and this big, custom "shaker" thing that shakes a screen and generates a pile of cleaned rubber. Then the rubber goes back into the berm, and the metal goes out the door in five gallon buckets.

I can think of at least one improvement I'd have made to the operation, but strangely, no one has asked me to take charge.

bjeffv
02-07-2012, 09:16 PM
My indoor gun range is a non-profit run by volunteers version. Same kind of rubber tire back stop but we haven't mined it out yet. A committee meets so all range members can give ideas on how things could improve. I kinda like the set up.

The precision are coated in such a way that a hole needs to be put in the coating to drain the lead (at least that's what it looks like on the website)

Bummer that they banned lead bullets.

bjeffv
04-17-2012, 02:55 PM
After all the input I went ahead and ordered 2250 of the 200 gr. SWC .45 bullets. I will test them out, and write up a review after I have put 500 of them down the barrel.

I am hoping to test them with three powders: Viht N320, bullseye, and silhouete. Probably do a run of 500 each powder.

Jammer Six
04-17-2012, 07:48 PM
I've run them with Bullseye and N320. With the Precision bullets, the Bullseye stinks. Bad. And it leaves a plume of smoke that will gag a maggot.

That's the biggest comment I have about them, other than not being impressed with accuracy.

The other thing in my notes is that I had squibs at the lower ends of the range with all Precision bullets.

bjeffv
08-13-2012, 10:58 AM
Haven't had much time to do a ton of shooting. But I have managed to get out and shoot 1500 rounds of the precision bullets. 200 gr SWC .452 diameter.

I had no major change in accuracy compared to lead bullets for the powders I used. (only bullseye and silhouette) They were as accurate. But I only shoot my handgun offhand. There is a chance for variation that I just didn't notice. (I do notice a change and lack of accuracy if i shoot some Winchester White box as opposed to my reloads)

I did notice that they do generate a plume of smoke, but its no different than the plume of smoke generated shooting lead bullets. I would like to assume that the plume of smoke is less toxic then that generated by lead bullets, and I think it is.

Shooting these indoors I no longer get the warm ears and redness in the face I got when shooting lead bullets. That's a major plus side for these bullets. That and the fact that handling them is easier since I don't need to use latex gloves while reloading.

The only downside of these bullets is the residue left behind from the coating. With proper cleaning I can remove all traces of lead or copper in a barrel. The residue from these doesn't fully come out no matter how well I clean the barrel. It is removed if I shoot a session of lead bullets only.

I will probably continue to use these for my indoor shooting sessions, while still using lead bullets for outdoor shooting. (much better air movement outside I guess, and I have a pile to use up still) For myself no change in die set up is needed between the two types of bullets.

bamacisa
08-22-2012, 10:05 PM
I have used their hbwc and their swc bullets. They are not very hard and will lead your barrel if you try to shoot them at velocities higher than about 700 fps, I can cast a bullet that won"t lead up the barrel like Delta Precision bullet do. For plinking at low velocities, they are okey. I like their hbwc bullet better than their swc. I have not shot any of their jacketed bullets, but I do hear good things about them.

DubiousDan
08-24-2012, 08:30 PM
The only downside of these bullets is the residue left behind from the coating. With proper cleaning I can remove all traces of lead or copper in a barrel. The residue from these doesn't fully come out no matter how well I clean the barrel. It is removed if I shoot a session of lead bullets only.

Kroil is supposed to do a good job of removing the residue left by the moly coating.

DubiousDan
08-24-2012, 09:22 PM
I've used moly coated bullets from "Precision Bullets" of Texas and "Bear Creek Supply" of California. The Bear Creek cost a little less but I haven't been able to find a site to order them directly anymore.

I've used them for hot loads in .357 and .41 Mag with no signs of leading.

I stopped buying them when I got back into casting a year or so ago.

bjeffv
08-28-2012, 12:35 PM
I could hardly believe all the moly coating I was pushing out of the barrel while cleaning it the other day.

I just soaked the barrel in homemade Ed's red and used a jag. It took several soaks, jag, and brush passes to get it clean.

I will pick up some kroil to see if that speeds up the process.