PDA

View Full Version : Blue Book of Guns Question

carpetman
03-10-2007, 10:36 PM
I received a circular for the upcoming Blue Book. I have not a Blue Book in a bunch of years. Reason I quit buying them was I have A Win Mod 70 Westerner that was not listed. I know they cannot list every gun made,but a variation of the model 70???????? Now this is not the old Magnum model that was made a whole bunch of years ago in .364 or some such,this is the model made probably early 80's(Maven has one too in .243 I think---mines .223). I talked to Blue Book about this ommission to include talking to Steve Fjestad himself and I was assured it would be in the next year book. Not only did I talk to Mr Fjestdad,but one of his workers called me and said he was on the project and would be in next book. I bought next book and it wasn't there. So my question is does anybody have a more recent Blue Book that can let me know if this gun now listed? If so,give me the dirt--what does it say--will save me the $35. Thanks. BTW anybody wants to hijack this thread jack away.

wills
03-10-2007, 10:39 PM
https://www.lebowskifest.com/images/bumper_jack.jpg

XBT
03-10-2007, 11:05 PM
I can’t find it in the twenty-second edition.

carpetman
03-11-2007, 12:00 AM
XBT--Thanks,I have the 22nd edition--think thats the one I got suckered into buying thinking it would have the data as I had been told.

carpetman
03-11-2007, 12:01 AM
Waa Waa Waa somebody(Wills) hijacked my thread.

waksupi
03-11-2007, 12:21 AM
Waa Waa Waa somebody(Wills) hijacked my thread.

Since we now have the whine, should we converge this, and the cheese threads?

Phil
03-11-2007, 12:37 AM
I have a 21st issue of Machinery's Handbook (revised) if that would help. Nothing in it about a Winchester though. Matter of fact, I can't find anything in it about gun values. What the $@!^^%$%&&*())(( kind of a gun book is this? Outrage, outrage, oh the humanity! I wuz robbed!

Oh well,

Phil

(:>)

fatnhappy
03-11-2007, 12:56 AM
I have a 1953 edition of "important supreme court decisions."

I couldn't find Miranda, Brown or Roe vs. Wade in there. They did have Plessy. Who should I sue?

Phil
03-11-2007, 01:02 AM
Uh-oh, I smell a group suit coming on! Who's gonna honcho it? I suggest fatnhappy, he brought it up. And, since I can't find any gun values in Machinery's Handbook, can we sue them too? Lets sue everybody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thats the ticket, sue 'em all!

Cheers,

Phil

castalott
03-11-2007, 08:17 AM
I've heard of a boy named Sue...But what could he do?

A lot of lawyers have that for a middle name......

XBT
03-11-2007, 10:57 AM
Carpetman, ya see what happens when you invite someone to hijack the thread?

carpetman
03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
XBT---See what happens when you invite someone to hijack your thread---It's worse if you don't and my question wasn't answered-waa waa waa.

Buckshot
03-12-2007, 05:03 AM
.................I STILL believe deep in my heart that it's "6".

..................Buckshot

9.3X62AL
03-12-2007, 09:02 AM
That would peeve me more than a little about that M-70. ESPECIALLY when you consider all of those ridiculous commemorative 1894 things they were hawking from the late 70's through the early 90's, like the well-known Jefferson Parish Trash Truck Centennial Commemorative from 1982 or thereabouts. The John Wayne in 32-40 made sense, but the rest of them I don't know about. We had a similar discussion last week over lunch at the Burrito Shoot, and that JPTTCC/82 variant slipped my mind at the time.

woody1
03-12-2007, 12:15 PM
Ray, clearly we have a problem here. Mr. Fjestad’s book, the Blue Book of Gun Values, “the bible” is the true word when it comes to guns and their values. The values are primarily based on sales and the rarity of the gun. Because the rifle you’ve described is not listed in “the bible”, it obviously was never made. Since it was never made, it is supremely rare as it cannot possibly exist. Since the rifle was never made and is supremely rare, the publishers of “the bible” have not been able to obtain a specimen to view or to find any examples of sales of this rare rifle, thus it is not listed. If you should ever sell your specimen of this extremely rare, never made rifle, you should contact the publishers of “the bible” and inform them so that they can then include it in their “bible.” Once it is included in “the bible” the publishers of “the bible” will then inform Winchester (actually USRA) that the rifle can be made and listed in their inventory. Once that is completed, you may then purchase one of these extremely rare, heretofore never manufactured specimens and the cycle will be completed. Perhaps what we have here is a case of immaculate deception.

In order to check on the accuracy of “the bible”, I checked in my 1980 Dixie Gunworks Catalog and I didn’t find your rifle listed in there either. While I was thumbing thru the Dixie catalog, I did find some pretty cool looking knives though. Some of ‘em looked like they might be pretty good for cutting cheese. Say, Ray, did you ever try Tillamook Cheese? Made right here in Oregon, over on the coast and it’s pretty good stuff. Regards, Woody

Scrounger
03-12-2007, 12:38 PM
Right or wrong, I decided Blue Books were useless half a lifetime ago. There is so much difference in prices from one part of the country to another that you would need a dozen different regional editions. The other factor is the huge time frame from when the data is composed to when the book reaches circulation and usage that it's prices are no longer relevant. Typically this time frame is one to two years. I suppose some shooters do buy them and believe in them but what I've seen mostly is dealers, especially the gun show variety, use them to lowball prices on a gun someone is trying to sell them.

KCSO
03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Carpetman
I think on those you need Dr. Ben's Blue Ointment.

Ricochet
03-12-2007, 06:29 PM
I don't have any knives from Dixie, but I sure can cut the cheese.

Buckshot
03-12-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't have any knives from Dixie, but I sure can cut the cheese.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!

.............Buckshot

Nueces
03-13-2007, 05:38 PM
A rumblin' phart
Makes a cheerful heart!
:drinks:

Mark

Navahojoe
03-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Shoot Low, Boys! :Fire: They are riding Shetland Ponies!

NavahoJoe

carpetman
04-10-2007, 12:33 AM
Well my question never really got answered here,but I have a partial answer. I called Steve Fjestad,Blue Books owner. He was out to a gun show but did return my call and I was out and he left a message. Very obviously he is not aware of the 1980 ish Win Model 70 Westerner. His message said it would not have Westerner stamped on it---wrong---that they were only referred to that way. He also spoke of the older pre 64 Winchester Westerner which was .364 mag or some such. 6 years or so ago one of his workers said he was collecting the info and it would be in the 22nd edition--wasn't and still isn't. I have been unable to contact Steve Fjestad since he left the message.

padrez
04-12-2007, 07:42 PM
I'm new to the forum- found it when I was looking for info on Winchester Westerners. Mine is .223, marked "Westerner" on barrel. I bought it used (in new condition) but no papers or box with it. Winchester's web site shows a Westerner in production in 1982. And that's all I know other than it's a gorgeous walnut stocked rifle!

crazy mark
04-21-2007, 12:22 AM
C-man,
It's not in the 2007 book either. This is the latest one....Are ewe sure your sheep counting hasn't gone wrong and you are just dreaming about this rifle. If so dream about your sheep and not rifles. Mark

carpetman
04-21-2007, 12:26 AM
Crazy Mark---Further conversation with Steve Fjestad revealed he was unaware of the gun,despite it being a cataloged item. He had forgotten our discussion 6 years ago and said he should have it in the book next year.