PDA

View Full Version : Ballisti-Cast MarkVI?????

klcarroll
01-25-2012, 08:12 PM
I see that BALLISTI-CAST now has a space right next to LEE, ROTOMETALS, RANCH DOG, and GRAFS.

I have been considering “stepping up” to a faster Lube/Sizer, and prior to looking at Ballisti-Cast’s site, I thought that the obvious choice was the STAR: ……..But now I see that Ballisti-Cast has reduced the price of their Mark VI to only $340!!! At that price, the STAR doesn’t look as good as it once did.

The Mark VI looks like a modern, well designed machine; ……And it’s produced by a company that is supporting this site: ………And I try to support those vendors that support us.

Does anyone here own a Mark VI???? ………Is it really as good as it appears to be? …..Is there any reason that I would later say “I wish I had bought the STAR”??

Kent

Casting Timmy
01-25-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't have experience with that machine, but it looks good and I like the rotary feeding that keeps your fingers out of the way.

I would look at the total system cost between Star and Balisticast, find out how much it will take to do the calibers you have on hand. You might want to contact lathesmith here on the site to see if he sells dies for both. It might help to reduce costs on a new system.

Lloyd Smale
01-26-2012, 06:08 AM
I know two guys that run them and ive ran theres and i dont know if its better then a star but its every bit as good and seemed to me to be a little stouter constructed.

Toobroke
01-26-2012, 06:58 PM
I have one with all the bells and whistles minus the collator ($340 is a LOT less than I payed for mine a few years ago). My experience with lube-sizers was limited to a Lyman 4500 prior to acquiring the Mark VI. I have never used a Star but this is definitely one quality machine. Have only used it for 45 ACP but now have moulds for 40 S&W and 9mm and will get sizer dies for them as well. I have never timed it but the tube empties fast--and I mean fast. Even with one of my kids filling the tube I often have to wait for them to catch up. When I was thinking about getting mine I was PMing Maj Tom who has had one for a lot longer than I (he had over 100,000 boolits thru his at that time.) I know he doesn't post much but he might still be lurking around the site.

ballisti-cast
01-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Lathesmith's size dies do fit our machines and he makes good ones! We are ordering from him when we run out as making our own is towards the bottom of the priority list at the moment. The fully loaded the Mark VI is priced under the star's fully loaded version. The bare bones version is more then the star due mainly to the fact that it has a one piece aluminum base that requires a substantial amount of machining and is completely upgradable to the fully loaded version. We cover it with a full one year warranty, however it is the only machine we make that I've never sold a replacement part for.

6bg6ga
03-20-2012, 08:10 PM
Ordered my Ballisti-Cast MarkVI today.

I found Mike Sand to be extremely helpful, friendly, and courteous to deal with. I ordered the feed wheel and tube assy to go with the base machine. I already have a custom heated base assy with PID control and bottom die from Lathesmith waiting for the machine. If I didn't already have the parts on hand I would have purchased a fully loaded machine because the price cannot be beat.

I currently own a Magma with the bullet feeder assy, air feed assy, and PID controlled heated base.

It was a hard decision to make when I went from a machine I am familiar with to one I have watched run on You Tube. When making this decision my years of machine experience sent me to the Mark VI. I've seen too many busted bases and broken springs on the Stars and its starting to make me wonder if its stout enough for the intended usage.

429421Cowboy
03-20-2012, 08:17 PM
I read a write-up on one awhile back in Hangunner, i believe. Phil Johnston made that baby sound like the cats meow and i have wanted one ever since! Great to hear such nice things about a companythat supports us, and to know that they really are top shelf!

6bg6ga
03-20-2012, 08:24 PM
I know it will be a slight wait before it arrives at my door. I'm patient when it comes to getting exactly what I want. I will fit this machine out the same way I have the Magma that I own. I believe it will have an edge over the Magma/Star in both speed, reliabliity, and ease of setup. The MAgma is a nightmare when it comes to getting the correct bullet depth when using the bullet feeder assy. The punch retaining nut also holds part of the linkage necessary to work the bullet feed assy. The feed assy on the MArk VI is designed to be simple, reliable, and easy to operate.

M-Tecs
03-20-2012, 09:49 PM
Couldn't help myself. Just sent Mike an e-mail to order a Mark VI Luber Sizer (fully loaded with all options below) at the New Price: $615.00

Options (all included at the $615.00) price

Digital Thermostat Upgrade........................................... ................$100.00
Air Pressure Regulator......................................... .............................$40.00
Thermostatic Controlled Base Heater (includes digital thermostat).$135.00
Rotary Feed Wheel (Calibers: 25, 38, 45 or 50)...............................$25.00
Feed Tube Holder............................................ ..................................$32.00
Feed Tube, 18 inch (Calibers: 25, 38, 45 or 50).................................$18.00
Sizing Die ( Actual bore size 0.0005 inch smaller than requested
and labelled size to compensate for lead springback )..$44.00
Punch (standard flat nose)............................................. .................. $22.00
Secondary Lube Tube Heater............................................ ................$56.00
Speed Handle............................................ ........................................$20.00

finishman2000
03-20-2012, 10:30 PM
the digital upgrade is the best. no more guessing and trying to fine tune for a different lube. just write it down your temp so the next time you can duplicate your results. worth every penny.

6bg6ga
03-21-2012, 07:14 AM
I realize that I don't have my Mark VI yet but I am really convinced that its a superior machine. Like I pointed out it was hell to get the depth dialed in correctly with the Magma bullet feeder. I'm at the point of almost running out of threads on the punch. you would think it would be easy when one has taken a depth reading with a vernier caliper before setting up the feeder. In short the assembly that hold the punch needs to be machined down the thickness of the piece that works the feeder mechanism. One would think that Magma would have discovered this flaw and acted upon it. Sure, I was a machinest but even a common person should be able to understand that the product doesn't have the bugs out of it.

I originally purchased two dies from Lathesmith. One die was machined with a single row of lube holes. The second die was machined with two rows of lube holes. This way I didn't have to pull a die out and plug holes when I changed to a different bullet. The Magma is setup for the 230gr 45acp with a single lube groove in it. The MarkVI will be setup with the die with two rows of lube holes for the 200gr 45acp.

Sure it costs more to do it this way but one has to consider what their time is worth. My spare time is usually spent repairing electronics from the customers of my employer. When I get an hour or two of free time I need to act upon it and get her done.

The support is there with the Ballisti-Cast people and they support this forum so why not support them and receive the best product that money will buy.

Rockchucker
03-21-2012, 08:28 AM
If we compare the two basic machines I see the speed as being the same. Adding the boolit feed still requires handling the boolits one time on either machine. Seems there is two steps required with the Mark Vl with turning the collator with your left hand and pulling the handle. I realize this post isn't about comparing the two machines however both seem to be quality built.

Adam10mm
03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Feeding boolits into the feed tube or placing them directly in the sizer die (on the Star) seems to be the biggest difference as far as production goes. With the BC, you have to stop to feed the tube. With the Star you just keep going until you run out of lube. I've used the shovel handle after this video instead of the stick handle and economy of motion for placing boolits in the sizer. This is from 4 years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCtLi8i7tMg

I think either sizer will serve you well and don't think there will be buyer's remorse whether you buy a BC or a Star sizer.

NoZombies
03-21-2012, 02:21 PM
I have the Mk VI and it was an immediate upgrade from a Star (I sold the star to help pay for the MK VI)

The Ballisticast unit replaced the star on my bench mainly because I have a shooting buddy who suffers from a mild case of parkinsons, and while he can't help with most of the processes in reloading, with the feed wheel on the ballisticast, he can size bullets without fear of loosing a fingertip. (He can still shoot from a bench with some accuracy, and often outshoots me when he's got a solid rest!)

In direct comparison, there are a few pluses and minuses to each machine. Rather than discussing things that are similar on both machines, like their high quality of craftsmanship and nose-first sizing, etc. I'll only discuss the things that, in my mind, set them apart.

Ballisticast Pro's:
*Very robust construction
*Feed wheel keeps fingers away from the punch/die interface
*Built in heater
*Built in air lube feed

Magma/Star Pro's:
*Basic machine cost is lower
*Basic machine doesn't require an air source
*Bullet feeder (on upgraded unit) doesn't use a wheel
*Easier base punch adjustment

Ballisitcast Con's:
*Base punch arrangement
*Feed wheel can catch with short bullets
*Overall high cost of unit when fully loaded

Magma/Star Con's:
*Less robust construction (I have seen a number of broken stars)
*Bloody fingers if you miss the timing on the sizing handle
*Basic unit supplied without heat, hard lubes without heat can cause more stress and result in breakage / accelerated wear
*Costs even more than the Ballisticast when fully loaded

Overall, I have found the Ballisticast to be a very good machine. In-spite of the cons listed above, the only thing that really bothers me, is the base punch arrangement. I have solved that for myself, but I think Ballisticast really should look into an easier system.

For the base punch problem on the Ballisticast, the main problem is the trial and error needed to find the proper base punch length. And the disassembly needed to make those adjustments. Once you find the right adjustment for a bullet or set of bullets, keep a chart, telling you the punch length needed for each bullet. You can also extrapolate approximate values, measuring the differences between base band thicknesses etc. Once you have a few adjustments recorded, further extrapolation becomes much easier, but the initial set-up can be a PITA.

C.F.Plinker
03-21-2012, 04:31 PM
I really like the detailed comments about these sizers and would like to see this thread made a sticky.

6bg6ga
03-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Quote:
If we compare the two basic machines I see the speed as being the same. Adding the boolit feed still requires handling the boolits one time on either machine. Seems there is two steps required with the Mark Vl with turning the collator with your left hand and pulling the handle. I realize this post isn't about comparing the two machines however both seem to be quality built.

Just wondering if you happen to own either of the two machines.

6bg6ga
03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
Just wondering how you see the punch arrangement on the Mark VI any different than the Magma? Both require some ability to adjust the top punch in order to align the bullet correctly to receive lube. Once set the depth is recorded for future reference. All a person needs is a cheap vernier caliper in order to obtain a depth reading. If you happen to watch the video on obtaining the correct bullet depth its pretty simple to do it. The person in the video used a C-clamp and a punch to push the bullet into the die. If one inserts a pin into the lube groove when compressing the c- clamp its child's play to find the lube groove. They both take some ability to obtain a correct depth but anyone with any setup knowledge can do it in less than a minute.

There are a number of ways of setting things up to make it easy and fool proof to obtain the correct depth. One would be to make a pin gauge of the correct length that is inserted after the bullet. One would then use the C-clamp and simply compress the gauge in the die until it wouldn't go any further. Once set the bottom die is inserted into the machine and the machine punch height is set. This would give you a perfect setup the first time around.

Rockchucker
03-21-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes, I own the Magma star with the factory air feed and the factory heater, I see no need in buying the boolit feeder! But then that's just my opinion.

finishman2000
03-21-2012, 08:03 PM
i have found that i measure where i want the grove to line up with the holes then tap the boolit in to that depth. i then istall the die and just run down the bolt till it hits the head. tighten and done.

6bg6ga
03-21-2012, 08:10 PM
Quote:
Yes, I own the Magma star with the factory air feed and the factory heater, I see no need in buying the boolit feeder! But then that's just my opinion.

You might change your opinion if you tried a machine with a bullet feeder. I did:-D

Believe me its a lot easier filling up a tube than it is trying to put the bullet in the die each time. But then thats my opinion:grin:

NoZombies
03-21-2012, 11:06 PM
As I said, I went directly from one to the other, and have hands on, user experience with both.

With the star, the bullet can be pressed into the die to the correct depth, and the punch adjusted until it makes contact with the ram down, then the nut tightened.

With the Ballisticast, the punch length must be adjusted with the punch out of the machine. Taking the punch out of the machine isn't just unscrewing it, as it is in the star. You must remove the feed wheel, and if the punch is over a certain length, the ram has to be undone to give clearance to get it in and out. Even if you have the punch set to the right length, just getting it into the machine can be a PITA.

Rockchucker
03-21-2012, 11:13 PM
i have found that i measure where i want the grove to line up with the holes then tap the boolit in to that depth. i then istall the die and just run down the bolt till it hits the head. tighten and done.

That's exactly the way I set mine up also, seems to be the easiest way for me, an once I've done that set up I install one of Lathesmith lock rings on the punch and and it's set up for the next time.

Rockchucker
03-21-2012, 11:21 PM
Quote:

You might change your opinion if you tried a machine with a bullet feeder. I did:-D

Believe me its a lot easier filling up a tube than it is trying to put the bullet in the die each time. But then thats my opinion:grin:

My problem is I don't know anyone here locally that has one to try, however I do watch the video's online and they do seem to work quite well, maybe one day I'll purchase one. I was doing pretty good at not having one till you made your post. This really is an addiction.

Moonie
03-22-2012, 12:06 AM
I was going to purchase a Star at the beginning of this month however I had to put the purchase on hold. Now I hear the Star price has been increased yet again and is just under $300, for just a little more I can get the VI...

6bg6ga
03-22-2012, 06:59 AM
My point is this... once the depth is determined a piece of say .450 dia rod can be turned to both the diameter so it will slide thru the die and the correct length so it flushes with the dia top. Once the piece is flush it is taken out and the punch is run down to meet the bullet and locked down. I don't have my machine yet but I simply cannot invision that it is so much harder than the Magma/Star. With the Magma/Star with the bullet feeder there is a problem on running out of threads on the punch. I have three punches that I have tried. The problem is that the assembly that holds the punch should have been machined and the thickness of the arm that activates the feeder assembly removed and then it would be easy to obtain an easy punch adjustment.

6bg6ga
03-22-2012, 07:18 AM
Quote:
As I said, I went directly from one to the other, and have hands on, user experience with both.

With the star, the bullet can be pressed into the die to the correct depth, and the punch adjusted until it makes contact with the ram down, then the nut tightened.

With the Ballisticast, the punch length must be adjusted with the punch out of the machine. Taking the punch out of the machine isn't just unscrewing it, as it is in the star. You must remove the feed wheel, and if the punch is over a certain length, the ram has to be undone to give clearance to get it in and out. Even if you have the punch set to the right length, just getting it into the machine can be a PITA.

You must not have experience with the Star/Magma with a bullet feeder assy on it otherwise you would cuss it like I do. Read my post and I'm sure you will see what a person is up against when the feeder is installed. It not a simple run the punch down operation once the feeder is in place. You make it sound like its a time consuming thing to remove the feeder wheel and assy on the Mark VI. Is it that bad? How many fasteners to take out...2? Why do you have to adjust the punch length with the punch out of the machine? Can't you get the bullet into the die the correct amount and then re-insert the die back into the machine and set the punch? Sorry for the questions and I guess questioning you but I do not have the machine in front of me to look at it yet.

Being that I used to be both a set up man and a machinist figuring out a easier way to do something usually comes easy to me. If there is an easier way to do it I will gladly share with others here. Sometimes a slight modification is all that is needed in order to make things come together faster.

Owning the Magma/Star unit with all the goodies has made reloading a fun thing again. I used to hate sizing and lubing bullets and putting them in one at a time going thru the cycle and then removing the sized lubed bullet.

Even if the Mark VI has some cons I an confident that it is a step ahead of the Magma. The fact that I have never seen or heard of a broken Mark VI has to be a plus. Its made better in my opinion.

6bg6ga
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
quote:
I was doing pretty good at not having one till you made your post. This really is an addiction.

Having had a heart attack a few years back it made me start thinking about life. You work your whole life and you should be able to enjoy a few of life's pleasures. For me the bullet sizer is one of them and I'm making them to be the best that I can with the money I have put a side to do so. Your talking around $150 or so for one feeder and less than that for the Mark VI. In terms of soda pop or beer it isn't that much of a sacrifice to come up with the money.

The collator is the next item on my list. I guess its an addiction.

Rockchucker
03-22-2012, 07:58 AM
Wanna sell your Star?

6bg6ga
03-22-2012, 08:03 AM
Let me think on that.... When I get the Mark VI I may let the Magma go and purchase a second Mark VI. If I do let it go it will be fully loaded with 300 watt heated base, PID control, Air feed, bullet feed, and turret assy. Shoot me an offer by email and I will keep you in mind. By the way it has Lathesmith die in it.

ballisti-cast
03-22-2012, 09:54 AM

You shouldn't have to take the punch out to adjust it. All that is necessary is to loosen up the nut locking it in place and screw the punch up or down. If the threads are tight on the punch spray some WD40 on it and screw it in and out of the ram a few times and they will loosen up enough so you can adjust it with your fingers. To remove the punch, you do have to remove the feed wheel which is one bolt you can take out with your fingers. There is enough clearance to remove the punch without touching the ram by just dropping the punch (with the ram all the way up) down into the size die and then pulling the punch out to the side at an angle.

As far as adjusting the punch I think it's fastest to do it by trial and error once you get the hang of it. I know I showed a different way in the video. Start with the punch all the way screwed up into the ram, run a bullet through it, move the punch down if necessary, and repeat. I can get it in 3 or 4 tries and less then two minutes by the time the machine is set up and running bullets. It's easiest to do this without the feed wheel on it as the feed wheel is in the way otherwise and is easily attached afterward.

Another idea for saving the punch height would be to give it a shot of blueing or spray paint. That will give you a perfect line of where the punch was set at. Obviously cover everything up you don't want to get paint on. I haven't actually done that yet, but just an idea. I set a lot of measurements when making parts on the manual lathe using a similar technique.

Hopefully the above ideas save you some time and headaches on set up. Also if you ever have any trouble with one of these machines GIVE ME A CALL! I've had a few customers pull their hair out trying to figure them out for the first time and once they finally broke down and called me I gave them a couple little pointers on what they were doing wrong and they never had a problem again.

NoZombies
03-22-2012, 03:44 PM
I'll have to look at the newer machine in the videos, from reading your replies, I suspect that my older (maybe a few years?) machine has a different ram/punch assembly.

If that is the case, I retract my previous comments.

On my machine, the punch length is adjusted by loosening the lock nut (not accessible unless the punch is at least dropped) and screwing in/out the set screw. On my punches, I need to remove them to get an allen wrench into the head, as the threads are all so tight (even oiled) that I can't begin to make the set screw turn without the allen wrench in the head.

6bg6ga
03-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Maybe I should have ordered the speed handle:(

M-Tecs
03-22-2012, 10:04 PM
I have a Star and a Magma star. The primary reason I ordered the Ballisti-Cast Mark VI is for the increased leverage. I have some older 45 molds the cast at .455 to 456. If I use them in a modern gun I size them to .452. Same deal will some of my mold for the Trapdoors. They drop at .463. In the modern guns I size them to .459.

Sizing .004 on a Star is pushing it IMHO. Ballisti-Cast states sizing .005 isn’t a problem.

Before anyone jumps on me that I am sizing them too much and hurting accuracy I will state that they perform to the level that I need them to.

ballisti-cast
03-23-2012, 12:13 AM
I'll have to look at the newer machine in the videos, from reading your replies, I suspect that my older (maybe a few years?) machine has a different ram/punch assembly.

If that is the case, I retract my previous comments.

On my machine, the punch length is adjusted by loosening the lock nut (not accessible unless the punch is at least dropped) and screwing in/out the set screw. On my punches, I need to remove them to get an allen wrench into the head, as the threads are all so tight (even oiled) that I can't begin to make the set screw turn without the allen wrench in the head.

The punch/ram has been changed on the newer machines. I'm unfortunately not real familiar with how the old ones are set up. Best case you can just get new punches and worst case you have to get a new ram too. I would recommend making the upgrade though as it sounds like the old punches are a headache to try and set.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-23-2012, 01:29 PM
Come on guys, you're torturing me. Just when I got all the parts and have dies ordered from Lathesmith for the used Star I picked up, I'm reading this thread and getting the urge to order a Ballisti-cast and do the side by side comparison I did a couple years back with an RCBS Rock Chucker and a Lee Classic Cast single stage. Now I'm thinking thoughts like I've got a bit in taxes coming back, just sold off some of the stuff I had leftover from selling the Hornady LnL, worked extra days this month and my mind is starting to justify needing a second luber sizer on the bench and thinking I could get rid of my RCBS Lube A Matic, as Ballisti-cast and Star will place gas checks....

Gotta control the urge, must suppress the urge....

Why do I read this type postings? It must be some mad obsession. What if my wife finds out?:dung_hits_fan:

lathesmith
03-23-2012, 10:43 PM
No need to control that urge Dave, just give in...you know you want to...:mrgreen:

in fact, you feel compelled...you have to...

Actually, I'm going to try one of these MK VI's myself, I've got to have one just so I can make stuff for it!

BTW, I have your stuff almost finished, it will ship by Monday. And don't worry, the dies will work fine in your MK VI also!

lathesmith

starreloader
03-23-2012, 11:09 PM
I've got a fully loaded Mark VI on order, waiting for Mike Sand to let me know when it is shipped... Owned nothing but Star Sizers in the 38 years I've been in this game.. Thought it was time for something new.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-24-2012, 02:17 AM
No need to control that urge Dave, just give in...you know you want to...:mrgreen:

in fact, you feel compelled...you have to...

Actually, I'm going to try one of these MK VI's myself, I've got to have one just so I can make stuff for it!

BTW, I have your stuff almost finished, it will ship by Monday. And don't worry, the dies will work fine in your MK VI also!

lathesmith

Oh no, not I gotta bust my hump to get my stand setup for the Star sizer so everything will be ready by the time those dies get there. :groner::guntootsmiley:

6bg6ga
03-24-2012, 07:13 AM
One of the things that really sold me on the MArk VI is the fact that they will size bullets that will break the Star/Magma.

The simplicity of the unit with the bullet feeder assy.

Last but not least the willingness of Mike Sand to take customer service and satisfaction to a new level.

Its nice to be greated with the attitude that if you have a problem give me a call instead of the usual attitute of you bought it and its your problem now or the I don't have time for you unless you plan on spending more money.

Dave In Georgia

Just go to the Paypal site log in and insert the $615 into the amount box and hit send. It only hurts for a split second.

NoZombies
03-24-2012, 02:00 PM
Mike,

I'm glad to hear the punch/ram assembly has been updated. I'll have to give you a call, and see what might be needed for the upgrade.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-24-2012, 07:35 PM
Dave In Georgia

Just go to the Paypal site log in and insert the $615 into the amount box and hit send. It only hurts for a split second.

You guys are not helping me here. I'm bad enough on my own without encouragement. It's like a drunk buddy encouraging you to take another drink when you're already plastered.:2 drunk buddies:

Rockchucker
03-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Do it Dave, you know you want to.:violin: :)

6bg6ga
03-25-2012, 03:35 AM
Just do it Dave! Paypal the amount of $615 and hit send. You'll be glad you did you know you will. Give into it do it do it do it!:-)

kcinnick
03-25-2012, 07:17 AM
I was about to send a Check for a Star, but then I saw the price was in outer space. Then I found the ballicast. What would be the least expensive way to get set up for 9mm(.357) and .45 (.452) sizing. I can add gadgets later.

6bg6ga
03-25-2012, 07:38 AM
The least expensive way would be to purchase a base machine with dies for both
.452 and .357 with the correct top punches. Purchase your bottom dies from Lathesmith.

The best way would be to purchase the base machine plus the bullet feed assy. Plus the dies and punches needed.

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I was about to send a Check for a Star, but then I saw the price was in outer space. Then I found the ballicast. What would be the least expensive way to get set up for 9mm(.357) and .45 (.452) sizing. I can add gadgets later.

least expensive way: Order base unit from Ballisti cast and order dies from lathesmith on this forum.

Least expensive way long term: Order loaded unit from Ballisti cast and order dies and punches from lathesmith on this forum.

Notes: If you have access to machining, tools, etc., you can make your own lube heating unit (or use a clothes iron, read the forum past posts to learn about all this) and you can make your own air lube feed unit (again, see the forum), so that gets you past those cost elements from the manufacturer and you may save a good bit of money

But you will have to be careful, because you can easily add to both your time until ready, total real cost and aggravation depending on how you go about adding these items. You can easily spend more money than you save spending money on gas running around gathering things up locally. But if you do the research on this forum carefully, take good notes and order online, you will save some money making these things yourself over buying them from the manufacturer.

You can also buy a less expensive Lyman lube heater and use that. And add a light dimmer or router controller from harbor freight to control the heat. But is that less expensive than buying the unit from the manufacturer ready to go?

Choices you have to make, based on what kinda cash you have on hand. But to me, a temperature controlled lube heater is a gotta have and air lube feed is a want, but much preferable for consistency. I got very tired of plugging/unplugging my Lyman heater on my Lyman 450 and very tired of cranking on the ratchet to feed lube.

But I should qualify my commentary with I'm an auto advance progressive kind of guy. I cannot live with a Dillon 550. I would have to have the 650 or a Hornady LnL or a RCBS Pro 2000, preferably with bullet feed.

kcinnick
03-25-2012, 11:04 AM
Well, I don't have $600+ to dedicate to a sizer. I need to get a caliber conversion set up to .45 for my dillon, and some LPP, and I think I am going with WST powder. I am also looking for a .45 h&g 68 clone also.

I know all about high quality tools, I have a small fortune in my leather shop and another in my reloading room (650xl)

Rockchucker
03-25-2012, 11:19 AM
Dave you just got your Star set up the way you like it, and it functions perfectly. Why not just keep it and use it the way you have it and save a ton of money.

1bluehorse
03-25-2012, 12:59 PM
If I were looking to buy one or the other, I think the Ballisti-cast would probably be my first choice. ( I say that not having seen one in person, just the videos) Really nice looking machine. But....I already have a Star and I'm not going to sell it just to buy one. The Star is also a fine machine..

kcinnick
03-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I was hoping someone from ballicast would jump in and offer "necessities package"

ballisti-cast
03-26-2012, 10:55 AM
The fully loaded machine is the way to go if you can afford to drop the money on it. It's a savings of about $75 from adding the components individually later, plus you don't have to do any wiring or assembly. If your just looking for a bare bones machine that you can add to later, go with the base model with the digital heat controller. I won't say you can't save money getting the base model and adding the heated base etc. yourself but you won't save too much as we have put a ton of time into finding the best places and ways to buy the components.

ballisti-cast
03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Starting a group buy for them. It'll save you a decent amount of money if your interested in one.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=148697

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-27-2012, 09:46 AM
For those sitting the fence, that's a fantastic deal in that group buy, for either unit one buys.

kcinnick,

If I were you, I'd be all over this group buy. Can't get a better deal I'm thinking.

birdadly
03-27-2012, 01:53 PM
Ack! I believe the only thing keeping me from this nice piece of equipment is the fact that I just started reloading and casting last year... and if I buy all the nice stuff too soon, I won't have anything to look forward to in the future!!! Decisions... decisions... -Brad

DaveInFloweryBranchGA
03-27-2012, 05:36 PM
Brad,

I wish I had bought a decent lube sizer six years or so ago when I started casting. I would have been out less money to start with and been much happier with my lube sizing.

lathesmith
03-27-2012, 06:29 PM
"Get what you want the first time, or you'll end up payiing for it twice"(or three, or four times, in my experience). A famous quote, supposedly Scottish, that pretty much says it all about this topic.

lathesmith