PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Can't upload pdf attachment

gbrown
01-25-2012, 06:36 PM
Hey! I have a couple of old Texan owner manuals in PDF I wanted to upload for public access. There may be some people out there that could use these. I read the instructions and followed them. Each time I upload the files, a box comes up that the upload failed because of some security key. Can't seem to get around it. Anybody know whats happening? I don't know if it is something on the site or on my computer. Thanks.

Matt_G
01-25-2012, 07:00 PM
Is the file bigger than 100 KB?
If so, that's the reason. 100KB is the limit on an attachment.

OBIII
01-25-2012, 07:13 PM
Where are you trying to upload the pdf to? You can host images, but if you want to insert a link into a post, you have to have an upload site. You can PM Gunload Master (Willy) and ask him if he wants to host them for you on his server. I don't think that CB has a facility for users to upload PDF's, bandwidth, disc storage, and all that sort of stuff. Let us know if you need more help or info.
Welcome to the Forum!
OB

OBIII
01-25-2012, 07:22 PM
gbrown,
This website is free, and allows you to upload to it. You can then upload to the Dropbox website and link to the pdf's in posts. https://www.dropbox.com/referrals/NTQ0MzUzODI5?src=referrals_twitter9
Recommended by some other members.
OB

gbrown
01-25-2012, 08:36 PM
Matt: Files are 15,000 and 14,000 KB. Nothing big. OBIII according to the website, I should be able to attach these to a new post. Ain't Happening!!

OBIII
01-25-2012, 09:02 PM
You cannot directly attach the pdf's to the post, you have to have a hosting site somewhere. Like I said, dropbox is free for up to 2gb of stuff, or pm Gunload Master and ask him if he would be interested in hosting them for you.

Matt_G
01-25-2012, 09:37 PM
You cannot directly attach the pdf's to the post, you have to have a hosting site somewhere. Like I said, dropbox is free for up to 2gb of stuff, or pm Gunload Master and ask him if he would be interested in hosting them for you.

Sure you can. Proof below.
Not sure why it isn't working for you Gbrown...

Calamity Jake
01-26-2012, 09:26 AM
You need ADOBE reader minimum to download PDF files.

Adobe Reader is a free download.

gbrown
01-26-2012, 10:02 AM
Thanks people. I've tried everything suggested on the thread and still no go. I appreciate the help. Sent a message to the administrator, hopefully can solve and upload for anyone who needs these. Glenn

scrapcan
01-26-2012, 10:44 AM
gbrown,

if all else fails you can register on the Antique reloading tool collectors forum and upload over there and put a link over here.

Wayne Smith
01-26-2012, 10:48 AM
Sounds like it belongs over on Castpics anyway. That type of thing tends to get lost here if it isn't in a sticky.

OBIII
01-26-2012, 11:27 AM
One final question? You say the files are 14,000 KB and 15,000 KB? Do you mean 14MB and 15MB? If so, there's your answer. Max size 100k. Good luck.
OB

gbrown
01-27-2012, 10:49 AM
Yeah, it was 10 MB & 14 MB. I think it is going to be fixed courtesy of the Webmaster. Thanks for all the help and suggestions, probably the biggest problem is me! Headspace malfunction and operator error!!

lbaize3
01-27-2012, 11:02 AM
Yeah, but you are better than gold when a friend needs help....
Leonard

gbrown
01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks Bud

montana_charlie
01-27-2012, 01:35 PM
the upload failed because of some security key
My wife frequently has problems somewhat similar to this. She comes to me and says her computer won't do this or that, even though it has in the past.

I ask how she knows it won't do 'whatever' and she says she knows because she gets a 'little window' that says it can't.

I ask her what it says in the window and she says she doesn't remember.

If you try to make a computer do something which it can't do, it will usually give you an error message. In order to solve your problem, you MUST read that message.

If you come to others to ask for advice, you must be able to tell them what that message said.
"Failed because of some security key" just doesn't cut it.

There may be somebody here who can cure your trouble, but unless you explain what the problem actually is, all you will get is guys describing cures to problems THEY have had in the past. That's why none of them have addressed YOUR problem ... you haven't told them what it is.

CM

gabe123
01-27-2012, 02:45 PM
Thank you for that PDF Matt G, I had not seen that before. I like to accumulate anything I can for reference material. This place is awesome for that reason, plus many others!

Matt_G
01-27-2012, 06:48 PM
Your welcome Gabe123.
Be sure and check out the link in my sig as well, if you haven't already...

gbrown
01-27-2012, 08:19 PM
TO: Montana Charlie Thanks, but no thanks for the input. As you can see, the other posts to this thread were positive, helpful suggestions. Lectures, sermons, etc. are best left in churches and classrooms. Sorry you have frustrations with others you are close to. Sincerely, Glenn Brown