PDA

View Full Version : Video Revised!

jabilli
01-25-2012, 06:03 PM
Added some more tips and information, made it easier to read. :-)

http://youtu.be/y6IiOJZXP1M

Chihuahua Floyd
01-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Most of us would say you only have half of the required safty equipment.
I alway wear gloves, not necessarily welders gloves but I do wear leather gloves. And a hat, and boots, good leather work boots, usually a demin jacket as I do most of my casting in cold weather, outside.
CF

jabilli
01-26-2012, 03:00 AM
Yes, thank you. All very good ideas. :-)

prs
01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
ATGATT is an acronym for "all the gear, all the time" and chiefly in reference to motorcycle riders. You know, the fancy brightly colored body suits, matching boots up over mid calf, full helmets almost like what NASA used, gloves with heavy extensions up the arm, and thick padding on every body pertuberance. Some swear by it, others swear at it; some preach as if you are H377 bound if you don't use it, others pronounce naysayers as idiots. I ride in comfort and assume the risk. Sometimes with pretty good protection and at others with just light jeans, T shirt and running shoes. My hide, my call.

Maybe we have ATGATT for casting too. Full face shield like chain saw users can get. Heat resistant gloves ( there are some awesome heat resistant gloves now). Safety boots. Heavy leather aprons. Me, I wear what ever I happen to be wearing. Then again, I don't wear shorts and I always have glasses on. Never gloves or aprons or steel toe boots. So I am not ATGATT. But in producing a demo video, ATGATT is the best choice.

prs

44man
01-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Now would you like to see how to cast with a "T" shirt, no gloves, no special clothes, no mess, no burns and perfect boolits for over 62 years works?
I need to make my own video but I don't know how.
I see no flux was used before skimming dross.

dragonrider
01-26-2012, 06:19 PM
Are you going to make a video when you are jumping around and peeling hot lead off your skin??? Keep adding cold ingots to your pot and that's exactly what will happen. The one thing you are doing right is showing others how to do it wrong. Please stop before you hurt yourself. Spend some time reading the stickies in the casting sections of this forum. Ask questions!!! that's why we are here. True casting is not rocket science but it is science and it takes a certain amount of caution to do it right and safe.

Hickory
01-26-2012, 07:45 PM
I wear gloves and long sleeves, and I still
get burned at least once every 6 months or so.
Yes, you are a very brave man, good luck!!:drinks:

waksupi
01-26-2012, 07:57 PM
If I turned on a casting video with a guy dressed up in heavy gloves, face shield, and apron, I would click off of it immediately, as I would think the guy doesn't have a clue of what he is doing.

BossHoss
01-26-2012, 10:30 PM
I like John Lee Hooker, I play that tune around the fire on an acoustic, and it would make a great cadence for casting. I hung out with John in Chicago at a local watering hole years ago, when he played .

However, the bullet casting video, is not educational, and I agree ,,,,shows bad habits, and certainly should not be used by anyone as a guide to proper safe casting.

What it DOES PROVE is that you can get away with a lot, and still do it well enough to make shootable bullets.

Jabilli , you have demonstrated you can cast, keep on keepin on.. It gets better as you gain experience.

Wear the PPE, or you will be tellin' us about an oops , injury , or incident in another thread.

If you meet the tinsel fairy, you only have fun if you are wearing the right clothes. Otherwise it's a bad trip.

MikeS
01-27-2012, 01:38 AM
Another nice reason to wear gloves is you can get rid of the mallet for opening the mould. I open almost all my moulds by hand, by waiting till the lead is firm, but not totally solid. If you stick around here you will also learn the proper ways to flux your pot, and what a good flux IS. While I'm not going to comment on water dropping your boolits (some do, some don't, I don't), there's absolutely no reason to water drop the sprues! In fact if you open the mould like I said using a gloved hand before the sprue is 100% hard, you can just drop them back into the pot, which will make your lead pot last quite a bit longer considering that you're using a small 10lb pot.

I still don't understand why folks make videos of things they don't fully understand, only to pass missinformation along?

jabilli
01-27-2012, 01:47 AM
I gather there seems to be a divide on the attitudes on PPE. When I first began, yes I did wear gloves and a denim jacket. On occasion I will get a blister or the like, but personally I choose to not use gloves as I find them to be cumbersome in a task that requires a degree of dexterity. Should people wear them? Absolutely. Have I met the tinsel fairy? Sure, we're good buddies- And maybe by miracle I've not had to peel/squeegie any amount of scalding lead/skin/pus stuck to it. Seeing that there may be some absolute newbies watching this video I will include in the video information that I'm not protecting myself and am being a poor example.

@Boss Right on, how cool! What was he like?

@44man -I've tried beeswax, paraffin, and crayons. As I've not really noticed any significant difference in this step, I usually omit. Maybe I'm wrong in doing so. ? .

@Mike - "Some do some don't." I also eat a high carb diet the night before, stretch, and do the bullet dance before casting.

frkelly74
01-27-2012, 07:17 AM
My wife got me some Ove-Gloves. I have yet to see how they work.

milprileb
01-27-2012, 08:08 AM
The Gene Pool is shallow on safety as so illustrated by some of you.

Life is Tough but its Tougher If You Are Stupid... John Wayne.

I hope I have insulted those who flaunt safety and justify it on the board / internet.

I also hope your luck holds and NONE OF YOUR GET INJURED: I REALLY DO.

BossHoss
01-27-2012, 08:14 AM
Jabilli,

John was as cool a cat as I have ever met. Had a mojo that took control over all the women that talked to him.

In reference to the vid, you said it best yourself, think of the total idiot newbie watching that...there are actually some people who try to educate themselves with Youtube videos. And those people then claim that what they saw is gospel, because they saw a video for it.

Some unscrupulous denizens, actually use this idiom, and produce deliberately mis-informed videos to trick people into doing something wrong...whatever it is.

Good luck on the next one, and if you post it here, I suspect, you will get plenty of feedback and critique.

I have a dear friend , a professor, who exclaims all mis-information he finds on reloading and shooting on Youtube as gospel. It is bassackwards from his normal personality. I can;t explain it.

But, his reloading mistakes have been severe, "But , I saw a Youtube on this", he exclaims.

Laughable, and sad , all at the same time. Youtube is not where to get educated with facts,...just like Wikipedia...it is flawed.

Echo
01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Jbilli, I have started using sawdust as flux, due to the suggestion found here on this forum, and will use nothing else, from now on. It does everything we need, and is FREE!

And I wear gloves in casting, but not welder's gloves - just cheap leather gloves bought 3 pair at a time @ Costco. They are thin enough so your sensitivity isn't compromised too much, but thick enough to allow me to pick up the sprues for recycling back into the pot.

I'm not as anal some some on this forum, so I don't mind the occasional bittty bittty drop on my bare knee (wear shorts ALL the time!). I DO usually wear a long-sleeved shirt for casting, and ALWAYS wear glasses (have since the second grade - wrote on papyrus, or a wax tablet). Can't see the need for a full face shield.

Hardcast416taylor
01-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Admitedly, you don`t need to be suited up as if you are entering a radioactive area just to cast lead. But you should be taking into consideration that you are dealing with a molten metal of at least 600+ degrees temp! I don`t believe there is a single reader on this site that casts bullets that hasn`t had a minor burn of some nature on a unprotected body area. I admit I don`t always wear "armour" where I should when casting - nobody can always remember everything they should be doing. I guess the single thing you should remember, if not posted over your melt pot, "Wear protective garments when lead is molten"! Just to prove to yourself what molten lead can do, pour a small amount of molten lead on a piece of T-shirt that is on a halved piece of hot dog. The lead penatrated the fabric and sears the meat as the lead returns to a solid state. Remember the "Tinsel Fairy" doesn`t say "LOOK OUT STUPID I`M GONNA BURN YOU"!Robert

jabilli
01-27-2012, 10:46 PM
@Boss- Thanks! I made, oh, 300ish 9mms last night, when I decide I've made enough I'll make one for specifically reloading. ^^

@Frkelly - Hah! nice. That would be a trick huh.

@milpreb- Without any form of malice: I can't understand anything you're saying? Rephrase maybe?

MikeS
01-28-2012, 02:18 AM
My wife got me some Ove-Gloves. I have yet to see how they work.

They work great, that's what I use! Mine are the old original ones without the silicone dots on the fingers for grip. The only thing to watch out for is when casting HP boolits. I was casting some, and when I was dropping the sprue back into the pot one of the shafts (it was a cramer style HP) went between the relatively loose weave, and I got a small burn on the base of my thumb. After that I watched out for it, and had no further problem.

MikeS
01-28-2012, 02:33 AM
jabilli: nobody here knows you, so none of the comments made are personal. Having said that, stop making yourself sound like a fool, and start doing some reading. If you read the stickies on this forum, and some of the online books (free) recommended in some of the stickies, and maybe just learn a thing or two about boolit casting. Your statement that you don't see a need to flux shows just how much you need to learn!

I'm not saying that I'm perfect, I'm far from it, but it just seems that for somebody with only 20 posts on this board that your attitude doesn't seem to be one of wanting to learn, but rather one of not wanting to learn, and not taking this seriously. Anytime you're working with a quantity of liquid that's between 600 - 700 or more degrees, it's serious! While it's supposed to be fun, before you go making all sorts of videos so others might think what you're doing is the right way to do things, maybe put down the camera, and put on some reading glasses.

Of course you don't need to do this, but there might be a darwin award waiting for you!

waksupi
01-28-2012, 02:52 AM
jabilli: nobody here knows you, so none of the comments made are personal. Having said that, stop making yourself sound like a fool, and start doing some reading. If you read the stickies on this forum, and some of the online books (free) recommended in some of the stickies, and maybe just learn a thing or two about boolit casting. Your statement that you don't see a need to flux shows just how much you need to learn!

I'm not saying that I'm perfect, I'm far from it, but it just seems that for somebody with only 20 posts on this board that your attitude doesn't seem to be one of wanting to learn, but rather one of not wanting to learn, and not taking this seriously. Anytime you're working with a quantity of liquid that's between 600 - 700 or more degrees, it's serious! While it's supposed to be fun, before you go making all sorts of videos so others might think what you're doing is the right way to do things, maybe put down the camera, and put on some reading glasses.

Of course you don't need to do this, but there might be a darwin award waiting for you!

There are maybe 20 people I can think of right off hand on this board I would pay attention to a casting video from. Most of those are from people who have been with the forum over ten years in our various locations.

Recluse
01-28-2012, 02:59 AM
Sorry, but I couldn't even make it past the first sixty seconds--and I cringed when I saw the cold ingot going in the hot alloy and the bubbling as bad as it was.

The distracting callouts and the music made it all look amateurish and self-aggrandizing rather than educational, especially to THIS crowd at this forum.

In short, just the first little bit I watched look like an accident waiting to happen and it struck me more as a "Hey look how cool melting ingots and making boolits is" rather than a "Here's how you do it and what you need to know."

*Shrug* Just my dos centavos.

:coffee:

geargnasher
01-28-2012, 03:57 AM
As a side note, I got distracted and watched a few other casting videos put up by several others, and while some were fairly well made for amatuers working the camera by themselves while casting, none were particularly educational at any level. Too much of the "I did this twice now and I'm an expert", like most Draintube "educational" videos seem to be.

Gear

ku4hx
01-28-2012, 09:15 AM

After the "boiling" alloy and the irksome comment bubbles, I hit the stop button; there are just some things not worth my time. Then I decided that was unfair so watched it all. I'll just stick with my old Lyman cast bullet manual. That and almost 40 years of copious notes all long since converted to computer files. I have a file drawer full of photos I need to scan some day.

Having taught Chemistry, Physics, math and Biology (and some English) for a number of years I know a wee bit about creating instructional material. This video just doesn't fill the bill for me. But in all fairness, few (if any) youtube videos do. Some I've seen are pretty nice, but mostly I view them as chest thumping.

smoked turkey
01-28-2012, 10:58 AM
This thread reminds me of my college roommate Tom. I was a just barely passing sophmore while he was a graduating on the honor roll senior who still studied all the time. Some of the newer crowd that played around a lot made fun of his study habits. One day one of the crowd said "some of us study and some of us don't".. to that Tom said "Some of us graduate and some of us don't". Someone new who won't take instruction from someone who has been there and done that probably won't graduate.

midnight
01-28-2012, 11:48 AM
I never used to wear gloves but as I aquired more and better (expensive) molds I realized whacking the sprue plate with a hammer handle was not doing my molds any good. I tried cotton gloves (no real protection) and leather gloves ( too clumsy). I then paid wayyyyy to much money for Nomex racing gloves. Now I turn the mold upside down, swing the sprue plate with my hand. The sprue drops in my hand and I place it back in the pot. They extend halfway up your arm and you can pick up things as if you had no gloves on at all.

Bob

BossHoss
01-28-2012, 05:58 PM
+ 1 on the Nomex gloves....I wouldn't have even mentioned it to this crowd, seems a bit too fancy. I have mine and they work great.

I still break sprue with a maple hatchet handle. It also serves as a tapper if the boolits dont leap from the mold. My sprue drops into lyman ignot molds , then it goes under the mold quide to catch pre-cast spout clears, after it is all melted together in art form, those get put in the melt.

Jabilli, nice try, A+ for the thought and well meaning attempt. But, get it together first, and watch other intstruction videos.....

Of course if the video was presented as " hey, this me having a good time casting, check it out"....the critique would have been softer.

Now put on Boogie Chillun , and cast to the groove.....uh huh huh huh....