PDA

View Full Version : Gas checks in polygonal handgun barrels

Alley Cat
01-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Does anyone have any experience using gas checked boolits in polygonal handgun barrels?

I've read the long post regarding the (needless?) worry about shooting lead in Glock barrels and I'm curious if gas checks might be the answer to some of the concerns.

I'm not trying to restart old debates, simply trying to see if anyone has any experience before I try an experiment that has already been done.

Grandpas50AE
01-25-2012, 09:45 AM
Not sure which firearm you are talking about, but part of the confusion about polygonally rifled barrels comes from the Desert Eagle pistols that are gas-operated systems. Non-jacketed are not good in these pistols, but for recoil-operated pistols I would not be concerned with feeling a need for gas checks in the .45ACP pressure ranges. Boolit fit, proper alloy to the load map, and proper lube are most important to prevent leading, and if those are properly addressed you likely will not have any problems.

Since I have both types (gas-operated and recoil-operated) I have stayed away from non-jacketed in polygonal barrels, but have seen posts on several websites where the lower-pressure cartidges like .45ACP do o.k., but the 9mm and .40's do not do o.k. with cast and quickly develop problems. This may be due to the experience difference in the shooters, I can't say, but that is what I have seen folks post. Like I said, I have stayed away from cast in polygonal rifled barrels since mine are gas-operated (.50AE) or high-pressure (9mm).

Gundawg
01-25-2012, 09:46 AM
Good question. I would like to know myself.....

Wayne Smith
01-25-2012, 11:46 AM
Glock is probably responsible for the current iteration of this old wives tale. GC's aren't the answer, fit is. Remember that the beginning of our current understanding of rifle accuracy can be dated to Witworth's experiments and he ended up with a lead boolit in a polygonal barrel. This vastly improved accuracy in it's day. That truth is still valid, a lead boolit can be very accurate in a polygonal barrel without leading if it fits, just like any other barrel.

Freightman
01-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Glock is probably responsible for the current iteration of this old wives tale. GC's aren't the answer, fit is. Remember that the beginning of our current understanding of rifle accuracy can be dated to Witworth's experiments and he ended up with a lead boolit in a polygonal barrel. This vastly improved accuracy in it's day. That truth is still valid, a lead boolit can be very accurate in a polygonal barrel without leading if it fits, just like any other barrel.
Absolutely right!

OuchHot!
01-25-2012, 05:45 PM
I have to agree with Wayne. My glock works very well with a tight fit and bhn16+. I have not tried gas checks as there was no need. I would not use a cast bullet with or without gas checks in my desert eagle because the gas port/transfer is unavailable to normal cleaning methods.

Sasquatch-1
01-25-2012, 07:14 PM
I have a Desert Eagle in 44mag. I have fired gas checked cast bullets through it and had no function problem. The gun is extremely dirty afterwards and need a good thorough cleaning. The problem I have is the the polygonal rifling does not grip the bullet and it tumbles after leaving the barrel. I have had cases where more then half of the bullets have hit the target sideways.

HangFireW8
01-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Gas checks might be one solution, but to me, handgun shooting/loading/casting is all about volume. The added time and expense of gas checks isn't a good solution for me if I'm doing 500 or more at a time.