PDA

View Full Version : crimped primer brass issues???

sisiphunter
01-24-2012, 03:09 PM
Hello all again.

I know this isnt the place for brass questions. Wasnt sure where to ask it. So if u need to move the thread feel free admin.

I have alot of fc headstamp 223 brass i want to reload. They all are boxer primed but have a crimped primer....removing primer was easy. Then used the lyman primer reamer but they still will not accept a primer. The primer wont go in and if it does it goes in crooked and crushed at an angle. Am i missing something??? I want to use these in my dillon 650 and it really doesnt like them. My lee hand primer does ok. But then im back to single stage loading. Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Matt

beagle
01-24-2012, 03:34 PM
Pich up a RCBS primer pocket swager. They're usually available off E-bone at a pretty reasonable price and last forever. They come with both large and small pocket swagers.

Using this swages the pocket and also swages a small beveled rim and allows for easy seating.

There are other pocket swagers around but this happens to be the one that I have and it works well.

I use them on .223s and also on military 9mm cases when I get them in my range pickups./beagle

Reload3006
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
+1 RCBS or Dillon Primer pocket Swage. Sometimes you can find a Lacmuller or Herters on Evilbay.

sisiphunter
01-24-2012, 03:52 PM
Ok. Thanks fellas. So i guess the little handtool lyman primer pocket reamer is a paperweight now. Hahah

tomme boy
01-24-2012, 04:28 PM
I have always used the Lyman VLD type inside chamfer tool to remove the crimp on 5.56 brass. I chuck it in a cordless drill and will do a couple thousand at a time. Now I just get rid of the crimped brass as I have so much Remington that it is not worth my time anymore.

sisiphunter
01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Ya i tried the little tip from the hand tool in a drill...worked alot better bit the primers still wont go. I have part of a swager combo from rcbs...got it in a lot deal. Doesnt have the rods so i called rcbs to order the rods and they r sending them for FREE under their warranty.....friggin awesome. Thanks again guys. And thanks to awesome customer service from rcbs!!!!

leadman
01-24-2012, 04:49 PM
Even after you swage the pockets you will probably still have to bevel the edge of the primer hole.

garym1a2
01-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I thought Dillon had a primer swage option on the 650? Its kind of a waste to setup a 650 if you have to size and prime before hand. Consideing .223 brass is almost like dirt at many of the matches around here I think its better to sort out the crimped brass and scrap them. than run the 650 in fast mode.

alfloyd
01-24-2012, 05:04 PM
Dillon only has a primer pocket swager on the 1050, not the 550 or 650.

Lafaun

sisiphunter
01-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Ya i agree on not using crimped brass but up north here in Canada we dont have as much 223 at least in my area. Heck an ar is a restricted licence and u can barely take them anywhere but a range. So there arent taht many people shooting them. I get my brass through a scrap bin from work but all our stuff is crimped usually. So i will make due. Just dont want to buy new and shipping is brutal on buying used elsewhere so isnt worth it. Ill just wait for my parts. Swage them out and should be in business.

midnight
01-24-2012, 05:46 PM
My first effort at removing the primer crimp was with the BMG. Thats a big crimp that requires lots of removing. After an abortive effort with an RCBS reamer, I got the Sinclair BMG trimmer & primer pocket reamer. Best tool I ever used. I also got the small & large reamers for normal cartridges. They require the standard size trimmer but I had one of those. I use the Sinclairs now for all crimp removal and have never regretted it. Somehow pushing all that brass around by swaging doesn't appeal to me.

Bob

Lizard333
01-24-2012, 06:01 PM
I use the Dillon swage tool. Works awesome. Removes the rim makes for easy install of the primers. The setup is about 100$ but is well worth the coin, especially of you have a lot of brass to do. I can do about 400 an hour. Very cool setup.

tomme boy
01-24-2012, 08:13 PM
If you do have the Lyman inside vld chamfer tool, Run it in until it bottoms out. The primer will fit fine after that.

HangFireW8
01-24-2012, 09:50 PM
There's more than one way to skin a cat, but once you get the parts you'll find the RCBS works fine.

For 223 I've had good luck using the RCBS Primer Swager, then hit it with a quick turn of the RCBS (really Wilson) 45 degree chamfer tool. The seating feel is different than commercial brass. Primers go in with a bit of a resistance and then give suddenly until seated, but it works fine and they don't blow out or fall out or anything, even with stiff loads.

OK, so after that I reform and trim them to .222 Rem, but that's another topic. :)