PDA

View Full Version : coffee bean prices

starnbar
01-24-2012, 11:13 AM
I know some of you grind your own coffee beans and so do I. Recently the company i bought from raised their prices to 25.00 dollars for 12 ounces of beans roasted so i am looking for another company the roast i like is mild and the beans are from brazil. Anybody have a number for a company that can do better on the price? thank you for your time.

Suo Gan
01-24-2012, 11:36 AM
Never used them before, but with the prices here locally, I am probably going to. Free shipping over $50. They are right at $7 for 12 ounces for most of their stuff.
http://www.communitycoffee.com/category/Our-Traditional-Coffee/Whole-Bean-Coffee

OBIII
01-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Learn to roast your own, easy to do. This is one of several websites that I use to get 1 pound of green beans for 7.00 or less: http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

starnbar
01-24-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the info these places are more in line with what i wanted to spend thanks for the info.

winelover
01-24-2012, 02:48 PM
www.CoffeeAM.com is who I buy beans from. Prices are better if you buy by the 5# bags. If you sign up for e-mailings, every so often they have promotions for free 1/2 # 's if you spend $25 If IRC. This is a good way to try different coffee.

Winelover

jcwit
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
WOW!

We have a surplus/discount grocery here and a few monthe ago they had whole bean roasted Jamacian Vanilla coffee in vacuum sealed 5 lb bags for $4.99. Yup a dollar a pound. It was from a company on the west coast don't remember the name. I bought 10 5 lb. bags and have them in the freezer.

At $25.00 for 12 oz. I'd go back to whiskey.

mooman76
01-24-2012, 09:26 PM
Learn to roast your own, easy to do. This is one of several websites that I use to get 1 pound of green beans for 7.00 or less: http://www.sweetmarias.com/index.php

I get green beans for $.59 a can. :bigsmyl2:

Geraldo
01-24-2012, 09:37 PM
I've been buying coffee from serrv.org. Prices run $8-10/12oz. I had some African stuff that made Kona seem like Kool-Aid, but I've been drinking the Mexican lately.

mtnman31
01-24-2012, 09:54 PM
Switch to tea. People mistakenly think I'm sophisticated when they see me drinking tea.

Az Rick
01-24-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm with OBIII. Learn to roast your own. Look for links at Sweet Maria's for Hot air popcorn poppers and modifications to make them roast coffee. It's easy. I have a coffee roaster handed down from my brother in law but still prefer a popcorn machine.
Roasted coffee is at it's best if you drink it at a maximum of seven days after roasting. After that, it's not fresh. You can't preserve coffee, the flavor just goes away. Don't freeze it or refrigerate it, drink it fresh and roast some more.
Try Marltoncoffee.com. in New Jersey, you can get a sampler or order 3lbs of coffee you choose and can choose 5 different ones and have 15lbs of green beans delivered in a USPS box fairly cheap. Green coffee beans will be good for up to a year if stored correctly.
You'ld probably like Honduran and Mexican coffees, lighter but have flavor.

Best, Rick

cheese1566
01-24-2012, 10:53 PM

Double on the sweetmarias!

Plus, if you have an "older" air popcorn popper, you can roast your own.
http://www.sweetmarias.com/airpop/airpopmethod.php

lylejb
01-25-2012, 12:48 AM
another +1 on sweetmarias.com

i've been roasting my own from them for years now, with a modified hot air popcorn popper.

it does require some learning curve (what doesn't) but once you get the hang of it, you won't want to go back to anything else.

it's the best.

beagle
01-25-2012, 01:04 AM
Coffee beans are kinda like sausage, it's good but you don't want to know what's in it.

I saw coffee beans being grown, harvested and processed in Honduras back in the 80s. First, they pick them and pour out on huge concrete slabs along with the bugs and worms. The chickens then get in on the harvest and there's a little chicken poop mixed in. After a while, the beans are hulled, washed many times and then dried. They're then sold for further processing. They can be roasted in an oven and ground and make pretty good coffee like that and I've had that down there.

I love coffee but it's better when I don't think about Honduras./beagle

troy_mclure
01-25-2012, 01:10 AM
im not a fan of community.

dunkin is mo way better! https://shop.dunkindonuts.com/shoponline/Product.aspx?CategoryId=COFF&GroupId=OB

Rick N Bama
01-25-2012, 07:57 PM
$25.00 for 12oz! Man I thought that had to be a typo & that it was $25.00 for 12lb......that price sure makes my Folgers taste a bit better!

Rick

troy_mclure
01-25-2012, 10:09 PM
$25.00 for 12oz! Man I thought that had to be a typo & that it was $25.00 for 12lb......that price sure makes my Folgers taste a bit better!

Rick

no kidding, you can get kona or blue mountain for that price!

Az Rick
01-25-2012, 11:45 PM
You have to shop for green bean prices, it's like gasoline. The web is great.

Beagle, there's a little chicken shxt in everything, just adds to the flavor! That can of Folgers or Maxwell House comes from the same place.

Best,

On edit, chickens can be about the grosses animals on the planet!

I don't eat much chicken, only under duress.

Moonie
01-27-2012, 02:37 PM
I roast my own, Kona is generally just under $20/lb green (roasts up to about 14 oz) and JBM (the real certified JBM) is about $30/lb. We get Kona for special occasions as we don't think the JBM tastes any better, and certainly not $10/lb better.

And about the "makes Kona taste like Kool-aid" well yea, Kona is a very smooth and floral cofffee, African and Mexican coffee's are not that smooth. I like coffee's from all over the world as tasting the region is so much better than crappy flavored coffee's. One of my favorites is from Timor, the exact opposite of Kona, where Kona is smooth and easy to drink, Timor almost requires a whip and chair to drink.

starnbar
01-27-2012, 03:43 PM
Hey i appreciate all the input and yesterday i went up in the attic and found the popcorn popper its been up there for about 20 years since all the kids grew up and moved out. I found the cotton candy machine too thought that was long gone and i also found a box of boolit molds that havent been seen since we moved 35 years ago///////////////////////////// they are in good shape too so i guess its time to try casting some of my favorites again while i wait for my beans to show up. Thanks again for all the input and i sure ended up with a lot better price for beans too.

Longwood
01-27-2012, 03:55 PM
You have to shop for green bean prices, it's like gasoline. The web is great.

Beagle, there's a little chicken shxt in everything, just adds to the flavor! That can of Folgers or Maxwell House comes from the same place.

Best,

On edit, chickens can be about the grosses animals on the planet!

I don't eat much chicken, only under duress.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I bet them cows would have something to say about that if they could!

gew98
01-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Switch to tea. People mistakenly think I'm sophisticated when they see me drinking tea.

I second that !. I strongly dislike coffee...never drank more than a sip my whole life. Even uncle same could'nt get me too drink that bilge water !.
I get Brooke Bond tea grounds by the box for like 2lbs delivered for about $15 and it makes gobs of Iced tea and or hot tea (with honey ). Tastes awesome !. And if you crave caffine it packs more than coffee without the dog$#it flavor and smell !.

bdutro
01-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Sweet Marias is the business.

I ran the air popper for a while and my lovely wife and family surprised me with a Behmor 1600 so I can roast up to a full pound now.

Hawaiian coffee is some of the most overrated junk in the world. They don't do anything that you can't get better and cheaper from Guatemala, Columbia, Brazil or Costa Rica. That's if you like soft-bean low grown mild stuff.

Once you've had freshly roasted and brewed Ethiopian, Kenyan or Indonesian stuff, you'll never drink dog-food coffee again.

Coffee prices, along with almost all other commodities have spiked hard in the last couple years. Pi$$-poor monetary policies are robbing every last one of us by devaluing our money. The hand wringing about tax rates is a sham, we're all getting fleeced hard by . Gold, guns, grog and coffee!

Adam10mm
01-28-2012, 02:17 AM
I buy all my beans from www.morecoffee.com. They are my go to place for homebrewing beer, wine, and coffee roasting.