PDA

View Full Version : 458 Socom 500 Grain cast Boolits Load Data Needed

ieddoctor
01-24-2012, 06:47 AM
I have a Rock River Upper and a Rem 700 in 458 Socom and a SBR Can for both.
Looking for 500 Grain cast boolits load data mainly for the bolt gun for urban deer control. I have purchased a LEE 500 RN Mold and looking for some loads

rockrat
01-24-2012, 08:41 AM
Check out beyond556.com, they might have just what you are looking for

x101airborne
01-24-2012, 09:05 AM
I have a Rock River Upper and a Rem 700 in 458 Socom and a SBR Can for both.
Looking for 500 Grain cast boolits load data mainly for the bolt gun for urban deer control. I have purchased a LEE 500 RN Mold and looking for some loads

Well, I have not used em on deer, but using a 45/70 round nose at sub sonic velocities, I would THINK that your permenant wound channel in flesh would be rather small. I know a very minimally loaded trapdoor with a 500 grain pointed round nose did not do very well for me on hogs. Unless major bones were hit, even on a partial shoulder hit, hogs ran VERY far before dying. Now a full profile round nose will work better, but I dont know about them at sub sonic velocities.

If I may suggest, see if anyone on this board makes a 400 grain WFN / LFN style boolit and trade or buy some for testing. You will be shocked on the water jug test. I would just hate to have some of your control deer wind up in someones yard and all that.

For the bolt action, it may sound redundant, but I would try the trail boss load and just see what happens. My GUESS would be that it would be just about right.

ieddoctor
01-25-2012, 06:14 AM
Any thoughts on a Trail Boss load? for 405 or 500 grain bullet

huntinmo
01-27-2012, 05:12 PM
Any thoughts on a Trail Boss load? for 405 or 500 grain bullet

Only thoughts, no practical experience! There is load data for 45-70 with Trail Boss, so I guess it is possible to adapt it to 458S, but no published data and probably very few have experimented with it. So if you try it let us know what you think and remember to check your barrel after each shot to be sure that the bullet left the barrel before firing another.
The only experience I have with the heavier boolit is with the Lyman 500gr RNGC in my AR, and only with H4198 powder. I started with 26 grains and was just under 1,100 fps with that load. Function in the AR was just fine, but it left a lot of soot on the cases. I guess it could be adjusted down a bit if you want subsonic performance, but I have to agree that a round nose bullet at subsonic speeds will not produce much of a wound channel so unless you hit the spine or other critical target you will not get a clean kill and most likely at any speed the bullet will just keep on traveling after leaving the target until it hits something very solid. Also probably not a real good prospect in an urban area, so do be very careful with any loads that you decide to use.