PDA

View Full Version : joy soap

lead chucker
01-24-2012, 04:26 AM
Thought I would share this if you like to heat treat bullets. I put some joy soap on a sponge roll my freshly cast bullets on it put gas check on, size and seat gas check with lee push through sizer. Put in a plastic strainer spray bullets in sink till soap is washed off dry on a towel then heat treat. Lube and load when the bullets have hardened. what do you guys think. Seems to work for me. I don't like to work the driving bands after the bullets have hardened.

parson48
01-24-2012, 10:23 AM
I'd try it, but I've got my wife believing that I'm allergic to dish soap.

May try it anyway when she's not at home.

ku4hx
01-24-2012, 11:53 AM
Soaps have been used for many decades by cabinet makers to ease screws into wood, lubricate hinges and etc. It's generally non contaminating, doesn't damage wood and excess can be wiped away with a damp cloth.

True soap, as opposed to artificial detergent, is fat based and as such it's akin to fat based lubes and oils. Whale oil for instance is an organic oil that fueled many a lamp and provided lubrication for many fine geared movements.

Give that artificial detergents were designed to do at least as good a job as soap, sometimes better, I can certainly understand its application as you've devised. And if there is any residue, it's highly unlikely it'd contaminate your powder.

waksupi
01-24-2012, 12:23 PM
If you put soap in your quench water, it will make a film to help in the size lube, as you are doing, and will prevent oxidation, keeping your boolits shiny. No need to rinse.

beagle
01-24-2012, 03:36 PM
I've used this method in the sizing before heat treating operation and it works well./beagle

Hang Fire
01-24-2012, 03:42 PM
Liquid soap is a pretty good lubricant, we used it on a hooka air compressor back in the 1960s

Hang Fire
01-24-2012, 03:44 PM
If you put soap in your quench water, it will make a film to help in the size lube, as you are doing, and will prevent oxidation, keeping your boolits shiny. No need to rinse.

Will be giving that a try, thanks for posting.

lead chucker
01-24-2012, 11:26 PM
Beagle glad I'm not the only one to do this. I wanted to be able to size and seat checks before heat treating I hand lube so I don't have to worry About working the driving bands and take a chance of working them soft by sizing after heat treating. But then I might be making this more complicated than it is. Every one has there own way of doing things.

jabilli
01-25-2012, 05:03 AM
Someone call me out on it if it's dangerous but I've had success with tumble lubing, then putting the cartridge together, then to clean the excess off I'd take some not-quite-boiling water and pour it in a container of some sort with the bullets in it. (Keep in mind, don't put the bullets in the pot you heated the water with as that metal is well above 212 *f Anyone else do this or am I crazy?

nanuk
01-27-2012, 04:35 AM
jabilli: why would you want to clean them? And are you not worried about the water getting into the powder?

lead chucker: why dry them? can't you put then in wet? the heat will dry them long before the temp required to HT.....

williamwaco
01-27-2012, 11:27 PM
I am too lazy to look up the link but there is a video on UTube about making bullets at Sierra. They use dishwashing detergent as a swaging lube for swaging jacketed bullets.

captain-03
01-28-2012, 12:39 AM

Thanks for the tip -- will give it a try!!

azrednek
01-28-2012, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the tip -- will give it a try!!

Sounds interesting and I'm going to give it a try. Any suggestions on how much dish-soap per gallon of water? Any particular brand or type work best? Am I correct in assuming you're using the type of dish-soap used to make suds in the sink and not the non-sudsing type used in an electric dishwasher?

lead chucker
01-28-2012, 02:47 AM
I dry them because just seemed like the thing to do.

runfiverun
01-28-2012, 02:40 PM
i have used the soap to size with but found adding water worked much better.
i then just gave that up and i use lanolin and rubbing alcohol mixed together sprayed on the boolits.
it dries quickly and don't hurt anything.
if i were oven treating i'd stick to the water and soap.

azrednek
01-28-2012, 03:38 PM
I'll try it again. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Sounds interesting and I'm going to give it a try. Any suggestions on how much dish-soap per gallon of water? Any particular brand or type work best? Am I correct in assuming you're using the type of dish-soap used to make suds in the sink and not the non-sudsing type used in an electric dishwasher?

BadDaditood
01-28-2012, 07:52 PM
I'd try it, but I've got my wife believing that I'm allergic to dish soap.

May try it anyway when she's not at home.

LMAO!!! :lol:

this is why i read every post in every thread here :lovebooli

runfiverun
01-28-2012, 10:05 PM
just the liquid for the sink.
if for just sizing i just mix about a spoonfull in a cup of water, you can feel the slippery and adjust.
if your only doing 4-500 boolits i put them in a quart sized cup, pour the water on and swish.