PDA

View Full Version : Win 1895 front sight, new made

Wayne Smith
03-10-2007, 12:06 PM
I need a higher front sight blade for my Win 1895 since I put the Lyman type sight on it. Couldn't find one on Brownell's site, but maybe I don't know what I'm looking for or the right name.

Anyone know where I could find one. It's pinned onto the base, so an easy replacement.

Nrut
03-10-2007, 01:54 PM
Wayne...XS Sight Systems has a pinned front site for Win. 95's..

C1PNR
03-11-2007, 10:52 PM
What I did for a new front sight for my old 94 Winchester was to get ahold of my friendly neighborhood gunsmith. He took a piece of brass stock and filed a new, higher, post and bead sight in no time flat.

Didn't cost much, looks like an original (he used an original as a pattern), and shoots just fine.:drinks:

Wayne Smith
03-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Wayne...XS Sight Systems has a pinned front site for Win. 95's..

Thanks, I just e-mailed Bo Wallace about this. I don't think one sight blade is worth $90!! I'm sure that price is for the Ghost Ring set.

Nrut
03-19-2007, 12:57 AM
Well going by what Brownell's charges for XO sites I would say you are right...
aperture rear site=$60.00
front post site $30.00
Trouble is as you found out Brownell's does'nt list them for the Win. 1895....If Mr. Wallace won't sell just the front site alone then I would either make one myself or have a gunsmith do it...
Take a look at how Junior1942 solved the same problem on a Rossi 92 www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s.htm (http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/rossi-s.htm) I have a Rossi just like Juniors and a friend used a piece of brass instead of plastic to make mine taller....Same idea should work for the Win. 1895...
What cal. is your Winchester?

Wayne Smith
03-20-2007, 07:24 AM
Mine is the 405 Win caliber, the one I shot the boar with. My existing sight is fine with lower velocity cast loads, 350gr @2000fps, but about 8" high with factory ammo.

Bo Wallace answered:

"The big question is, how wide is your front sight? The 95's originally cam with a .080 wide front blade which we make a replacement front blade for. The newest guns have a .055 wide front that we do not. A careful gunsmith can set it up in a mill and shave it down."

Mine is new Mikuro manufacture, so will be .055 wide (thick, I assume?).

Johnch
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I replaced mine a few years back
Then turned around and sold it to pay bills [smilie=b: [smilie=b:

I used a sight blade I had laying around , may have had to modify it , can't remember
Maybe a TC Contender front sight insert ?
Because I have several of extra , including 2 that are 1" tall

I got them from TC for free , I called them and complained my 14" unported 45/70 was shooting to high
So they sent me a care package

Johnch