PDA

View Full Version : First rifle reloads

trixter
01-23-2012, 02:45 PM
Here is a photo of my first rifle reload. It is 300 Savage, 155 gr .309 ww, with Bullseye, I am going to load a few of these and go to the range and kill some paper. Shooting and casting is so much fun.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/182724f1da6f20c351.jpg

303Guy
01-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Looks good. Have you considered Trail Boss? (Less chance of a double load). Keep us posted on you results.

littlejack
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
trixter:
That is a good lookin reload. I do agree with 303 though. Do you have a slower burning powder to use?
I've never used the Trail Boss, but have heard good things about it. I believe it was designed for the CAS crowd to be a faster burning powder, but also to take up lots of volume, so as to not get double charges in the case.
Other good powders with a slower burn would be, Red Dot, Unique, Bludot, 2400, H Universal, 4756 etc.
Let us know how yourloads shoot.
Good loading to you.
Jack

woody1
01-23-2012, 07:40 PM
trixter,
There's nothing wrong with using Bullseye as long as you don't use too much. If you're looking for more velocity, I do suggest a slower burning powder, but for short range plinking, Bullseye is fine. Red Dot is great also. Was it me, for a boolit that heavy, I'd be looking at Unique through 4227 burning range. Regards, Woody

Chihuahua Floyd
01-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Looks good. Did my first rifle reloads this weekend also. Lyman 311291, 170g RN, sized 309 w GC over Red Dot. 10 each at 10.5g, 11.0g, 11.5g and 12.0g.
Looks like next Sat before I can get to the range.
CF

trixter
01-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Chi. Floyd. Let me know how those work out for you.

HangFireW8
01-24-2012, 09:40 PM
300 Savage, what an awesome cartridge to start reloading boolits with, is there an old rotary mag Savage 99 waiting for it?

If you load enough, do this experiment. Shoot one group normally, shoot the next by elevating the muzzle (to settle the powder near the primer) before each shot. If there's no difference, fine. If there's a big difference, consider either a bulkier powder or a filler.

HF

303Guy
01-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Would you happen to have photo of the rifle you could post? (Even if it's not a Savage 99).

Umm.... it's true that Bullseye will be fine. One trick is to use a load that is half the safe load so a double load won't be catastrophic. An anal approach to safety saves many skins too. I never and that means never add a filler or the boolit/bullet to the powdered case until I have put it down in the tray and shone a flashlight beam into it. It's a habit I made myself learn. (After loading an un-powdered cartridge into my gun, firing it and then when nothing happened assumed I hadn't ejected the previous fired round and attempted to force the next round into the chamber. Fortunately, the powder charge prevented the bullet being pushed back into the case).

leadman
01-25-2012, 02:39 AM
What gun you using and how much Bullseye in that case?

jabilli
01-25-2012, 04:51 AM
Lookin' nice 'n shiny. It's very fun. Gratifying too ^^ Running gas checks? I havn't played enough with rifle calibers but in my limited experience, .223 vaporizes fairly easily. I did end up buying a chronie but havn't shot any rifle rounds over it... At about what speed does wheel weight lead start to **** out? Does the weight of the bullet have any effect on the max velocity before failure? I know I get about 1425 out of my cx4 9mm carbine with 5.6g Unique behind 120 grain roundnose- Usually opt to shoot slower, though.

jabilli
01-25-2012, 04:56 AM
@ 303guy

I've had that happen to me once, a "squib". Lucky me the bullet was stuck in the barrel just deep enough to stop the one behind it from being breached. Scary stuff O.O

In my defense, it was the first batch I made on a progressive rather than single stage. I guess I just goofed and missed charging one somehow. -Better than double charging I suppose.

1Shirt
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
Know it is usable, but have never used Bullseye or it's equal for rifle loads because there is just to much chance that goes with it. For any rifle load in ctgs with a vol equal to or better than a 30-30, and a fast powder, I want something that has a little bulk that I can see, and enough weight that I can weigh the finished loads. In the fast powders that will usually be Unique or Red Dot.

Unless I am using a powder that fills at least half the case, and using brass that weighs the same or close, I weigh all finished hand loaded cast reloads. With less than half a case full of powder, it is just plain to easy to double charge. I never load powder if I am at all tired. To me one of the biggest boons to cast reloading was when cheap, but accurate didgital hit the market. Mine is a little Hornady, and think I paid about #25.00 for it. It is also what I use to weigh and segrate rifle blts.

1Shirt!:coffeecom