PDA

View Full Version : Extra weight in the stock

fatelk
01-22-2012, 07:18 PM
I bought an old rifle yesterday, Rem 721 from the 50's, and when I got it home and took it apart for a complete inspection the stock seemed terribly heavy.

I took the ratty old recoil pad off and found half a dozen old brass coins hidden in a slot. They were big and heavy, had an antelope or something on them, from South Africa. I dinged them up prying them out so I gave them to the kids to play with. I think they've lost them already, or I would take a photo.

JUST KIDDING! No, I didn't find $1700 Krugerands :(, but I did find a pound of boolit metal!

para45lda
01-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Yeah. You got me

DLCTEX
01-22-2012, 08:24 PM
I thought you were going to have a bad day.

XWrench3
01-22-2012, 08:55 PM
fill them there holes with shotgun shells filled and sealed with strike anywhere matches / toilet paper / waxed cotton. if you ever get lost in the woods, it could make the difference between a warm lonely night by yourself, or one freezing your backside off worrying about BIG, ornery, hungry wildlife.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Friend, sadly now gone, was a big tough logger, but seemed to not do well with recoil.

He took and added a bunch of lead to the butt of his .338 and truely distroyed the balance of the rifle.

I like to shoot/hunt, and am not overly into pain, but use a sissy bag on the bench for about anything bigger then the .243 and am never hurt during a hunting situation.

Yes, the 45/70 rocks me a bit when shooting practice rounds, but hunting, well I never feel it.

GEt the lead out!

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

geargnasher
01-23-2012, 02:45 AM
Yeah, Fatelk, you got me good with that one, too! I was thinking right after the "antelope" was mentioned, that you couldn't possibly be that uninformed!

Crusty, the trick is to put as much in the forearm as in the butt, that way it's balanced! I never did handle recoil well myself.

Gear

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
01-23-2012, 05:08 PM
Problem there Gear,

Don't think I'm strong enough to go there. Weak Ol'Cogger!:smile:

CDOC

HangFireW8
01-23-2012, 05:24 PM
I used to think I was a recoil wimp. Then I found out a properly fitting stock turns me into a recoil superhero. It's not just the length of pull, it's the comb height and shape.

You kinda got me, but all I was thinking, brass coins? Really? Must be really old. haha

fatelk
01-23-2012, 06:39 PM
I was thinking right after the "antelope" was mentioned, that you couldn't possibly be that uninformed
The only reason I know what a Krugerand looks like is because an acquaintance showed me some he has recently. When he told me how much they are worth, I told him to be careful who he shows them to! I would sure have them locked away somewhere secure! (Sure wish I was smart enough to have bought several a few years ago when they were $300 each like he did.:()

DLCTEX
01-23-2012, 10:21 PM
The only one I have seen was donated to a church fund raiser auction. It brought more than market value at the time, but if the buyer still has it he is a real winner.