PDA

View Full Version : Neck Size and neck annealing question

milprileb
01-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Could one of you give me a swag on when you anneal case necks on brass
you Neck Size?

I am going on 7th reloading of 303 Brit brass , FL sized after first firing and NS there after.

My brass seems just fine and since the neck is the only thng being worked by NS dies, I was wondering if I ought to anneal them soon?

That begs another question, say I anneal at 7 the reloading , when would I do neck annealing again?

I am watching OAL of brass but its not changing any since I started NS of brass.

Reload3006
01-22-2012, 10:33 AM
when I am worried about it i anneal after 5 others do other things I dont think there is a set rule. One way for you find out is fire some brass until you get a neck split then you know how many loads you can get before failure. then back off one or two and anneal.

Shiloh
01-22-2012, 11:02 AM
WHen annealed, the brass is easily movable and can be pushed in and moved.
When it gets more springy and is difficult to move with round nose pliers, I anneal.

My Krag brass needs a bit more frequent than '06 brass. I neck size exclusively.

Shiloh

Char-Gar
01-22-2012, 04:32 PM
Unless I am fireforming a case, I don't bother with annealing, unless it is old or scarce brass I really want to keep using.

Most often when necks start to split, I will toss the lot of brass. It takes allot of firings with low pressure cast bullets for a neck sized case to split.

zomby woof
01-22-2012, 06:43 PM
I was neck sizing for my 30.06 bolt gun. I wasn't sure how many loadings I had in this lot. I started having difficulty closing the bolt on some rounds. It was time to FL size. I annealed then. This lot should be good for a while.