PDA

View Full Version : Success with the 6.5 x 55mm Swe. Mau.

Maven
06-24-2005, 07:42 PM
About 6 mo's. ago I purchased a Lee custom-made 6.5 mold on E-Bay. After a bit of Leementing, it dropped beautiful bullets, which performed as good as they looked...at 50 yds. (too much snow on our range to try 100 yds.). Yesterday I tested those same CB's at 100 yds. with impressive results. My "as issued" 29" bbl'd. rifle easily put 10 into 2" with 5 in 1" in the bullseye.
Btw, the target was the blue "Handloader"/"Rifle" one with a 1.88" white bullesye. The Lee custom bullet as cast is a 1" long bore rider with a .2695" body with 3 lube grooves and .2665" flat nose weighing 133grs. It basically looks like a thinner version of Lyman #311041, but without '041's crimping groove. The load was 14grs. WC 820 (thrown via a Lyman pistol powder measure) with Win. primers and Win. brass. OAL was 3.00", but your Swede may require a different length. You can probably increase the charge by 1gr. since 14grs. creates sooty necks. Incidentally, the Lee CB handily outperformed a LBT mold dimensioned for my rifle's throat & bore. In sum, success can be had in the 6.5 Swede with the right CB driven at the right speed.

Buckshot
06-26-2005, 07:34 AM
...............I suppose I will have to break down and try some WC820 in the Swede. I sure wish Lee would get those 125gr 6 cavity moulds done! I keep intending to call for an update but danged if I don't think about it until it's too late in the day.

Maven, I too have found the 6.5x55 no big deal to get cast accuracy out of with the slugs I have on hand. The one Lyman and the 2 previous cutom Lee moulds (Jumptrap 140gr FN and the Oldfeller 172gr FN).

..............Buckshot