PDA

View Full Version : Boolits for piston driven AR?

Morroad8
01-22-2012, 12:21 AM
Ok, its me...the new guy again :)

So, I have been looking for an excuse to buy an AR...and also buy more moulds :D

I know that for a normal gas operated AR's you shouldn't use cast boolits because of the leading in the gas system or something like that...as an alternative, would you be able to shoot boolits out of a piston driven AR? I figure it would be like for an AK which to my limited noob knowledge is ok.

I am thinking of pushing them pretty slow to avoid the leading problem; it just seems like gas checks are a pain to put on such a small boolit so im trying to avoid that.

Give me your thoughts! Thanks for any input!

runfiverun
01-22-2012, 01:14 AM
they still take gas to push the piston.
i have other thoughts on the matter also.
but i'll stick to, just figure on using gas checks.

nouseforaname1246
01-22-2012, 02:39 AM
ive been playing with this off and on with ok results. it can be done with a di ar or with the piston system, the piston system is just easier to clean. I have yet to find a load that completely eliminates leading in the gas port, but if you use a gas check the leading is pretty minimal and easily cleaned out with a pipe cleaner. i can shoot several mags full before it becomes an issue though.

Moonie
01-22-2012, 11:49 AM
The no cast boolits in AR's is a myth. I use cast in a couple of uppers (6.8 and 5.56) with no issues. I'll have a new 300 AAC Blackout built within a week and will use nothing but cast in it. These are all regular DI gas systems.

Morroad8
01-22-2012, 09:25 PM
Thanks for your inputs! Seems like the platform doesnt matter much, but I would need a gas check. So, its good and bad news together haha. Thanks for helping me out! :)

mpmarty
01-22-2012, 09:46 PM
My 308 AK eats lead just fine. A bent piece of coat hanger clears the gas port easily when I'm cleaning it. Should be fine in an AR too I would think. I don't use gas checks.