PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use dipper for 2.7 gr Bullseye?

ghh3rd
01-21-2012, 08:07 PM
One of the boolits I load are the Lee 148 gr wadcutter for my .38, and they do fine over 2.7 gr of Bullseye.

Since I'm just plinking with a little snub at close range, I was thinking of trying a dipper. One thing that I read about a technique for consistency was that rather than scooping, it's better to push the dipper down into the powder and let it fill up.

Does anyone use a dipper for as small amount of powder as this, and would yuu share your expernence? I've heard that trying to do so is a Kaboom waiting to happen, but I don't think so.

Randy

Rocky Raab
01-21-2012, 08:15 PM
With ALL dippers, the best technique is to back the dipper into the powder, allowing the dipper to fill by gravity. You then have the option of allowing the powder to "self-mound" after removing it, or swiping it level with a card. Some powders self-mound with more consistency than others: experiment and decide.

geargnasher
01-21-2012, 08:17 PM
When I was a starving college student, I made a dipper for exactly 2.7 grains of BE using either a .380 or 9mm case (can't remember for sure now) and a piece of solid 12-gauge copper wire. I bent the wire like a ? around the rim and soldered it, then calibrated it using the chemistry labs scales and a file to reduce the case to the proper length when the powder was struck off level. If I were to do it again, I'd probably use a 25 ACP case or .22 LR with a dab of epoxy smeared in the inside bottom to fill the rim recess.

Gear

runfiverun
01-21-2012, 08:31 PM
the whole point of a scoop is to get the same volumne of powder each time.
a tenth or so either way isn't gonna be that big of a deal.
it is amazing though, how consistent a dipper can be with some practice.

ghh3rd
01-21-2012, 08:46 PM
From what I understand, most commercial ammo loads are not weighed at all, but use some sort of volumetric device. It's something that I haven't tried yet, and may be easier, faster, and still accurate enough for my purpose.

Le Loup Solitaire
01-21-2012, 08:48 PM
I've built dippers the way Geargnasher has described including one for 2.7 grains of BE and dipped as Rocky Raab has done. Also the way that Dean Grennell advocated; both used the card for leveling. Results were always consistent. The trick is not to shake the dipper. Of course its not as fast as a good powder measure, but with a little practice you can generate very accurate handloads. For the 38 special you can use a 9mm case, a 38 special case; it really isn't a critical factor. Its the pass through the powder and the leveling that is important. As long as you have a good reliable scale and a file + some patience you can produce a good dipper for any load in any caliber that you need. LLS

Ben
01-21-2012, 08:59 PM
I've made about a bazillion of these " Powder Spoons " for people through the years. Super dependable, never gets out of calibration, cheap and very functional.

Each time i throw a charge with this spoon, this is what my scale looks like :

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/013.jpg

For any of you that are just getting started reloading, you might want to give this a try.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/014.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/017.jpg

This one is made from a cut down .22 Mag. empty case. A piece of # 10 ga. copper wire is soldered to the case. Works amazingly well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/016.jpg

Worls great with these wadcutters in a 38 Spec.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/Spoon%202%207%20Red%20Dot/018.jpg

Shiloh
01-21-2012, 09:17 PM
With practice, you can get surprisingly consistent by dipping.
Haven't done it in a while but used to do it when loading with a single stage press.

Shiloh

Blackwater
01-21-2012, 09:33 PM
Most folks assume that dippers are less acccurate. Used properly, that just isn't so. The key, as noted above, is consistency in use. That yields uniform results. I think dippers are a big "secret" among us reloaders. I try to keep at least 2 full sets on hand, just in case one gets lost. They're so cheap that it just doesn't pay NOT to keep a spare on hand. When you have a spare, you don't lose one. No spare? THAT's when they mysteriously disappear. Something to do with Murphy's Law I think?

BTW, when doling out large charges of extruded powders, and loading 40 or less rounds, I never set my powder measure. Just find the dipper that throws just shy of the desired charge, dip, weigh, and "trickle" more in by tapping the shaft with my pointer finger until the scale levels up. PDQ and quick too, because I don't have to fiddle with adjusting my powder measures. FWIW.

243winxb
01-21-2012, 10:45 PM
Lee makes a dipper for it, so it must be Ok. :lol:

MikeS
01-22-2012, 01:18 AM
I have a set of the Lee dippers, and I use them occasionally. I think they're a great accessory to have! I also have 3 Lyman Accumeasures that I use more often. While I have Lyman's chart for how much each powder rotor 'should' throw, I usually measure a few throws to make sure it's right, and if not, what it's really throwing.

mdi
01-22-2012, 01:16 PM
I began my reloading life with Lee Loaders that come with a dipper. Since then I've purchased Lee dipper sets and made many of my own. I've customized some by cutting down the sides, dropping epoxy in the cavity, or gluing BBs in the cavity to lighten loads (decrease cavity capacity) and drilling/reaming, or deepening the cavity to increase loads. I'll use them now when I'm only gonna load a few rounds and don't want to set up my powder measure. With practice .1 grain variation is easy to hold.

Texantothecore
01-22-2012, 03:31 PM
I load to +- 20th grain using Lee Dippers, using the gravity method and a business card to level the powder to the rim of the dipper. It works great.

Hang Fire
01-22-2012, 03:39 PM
I have used the scoop for light loads and the wife still does for loading her .380s.

Like stated, I go down into the powder base first. When I bring scoop up, I do a very slight shake to level powder off. I have repeatedly weighed such charges and found them to be very, very, consistent.

uscra112
01-22-2012, 04:43 PM
I tried a technique where I would hold the dipper upright over the bowl, then scoop up some powder with a spoon and pour it into/over the dipper. Advance the spoon and use the shank to strike off level. Worked well, according to my scales, but it took two hands which was a PITA.

Bret4207
01-22-2012, 07:08 PM
I didn't have a powder measure for many years after I started reloading. I either used Lee scoops or made my own and tested on a scale an old timer owned. Scoops are fine as long as you're consistent.

Black Powder Bill
01-22-2012, 07:31 PM
I have more dippers in my reloading gear than we have in our kitchen. I dip for all my loads from time to time and have never notice any differences in accuracy that bothered me. Then again I'm fairly laid back in my reloading practice. If the need arises I can nit pick my way through a load but as far as using a dipper goes , go for it.

Moonman
01-22-2012, 08:37 PM
Just got through DIPPING 6gr. of TRAIL BOSS for 45LC 250 gr LRNFP this afternoon

kmag
01-23-2012, 02:27 AM
When I bought my first press it was a major investment for me $11.00 at the time. The owner of the gunshop, who had a scale helped me cut off 3 - 30 carbine cases and file them down for 2.7, 3.0 and 3.5gr of BE. I bent a piece of wire around the case in the extractor cut for a handle. Still have the 2.7gr dipper and would load with it today, 54 years later. You must use one to see how accurate they can be.

nanuk
01-23-2012, 05:27 AM
I have read enough writings from Very Seasoned Handloaders to believe that the dipper principle is capable of producing loads far more accurate than I am capable of shooting.

I have never noticed a difference in my loads that were dipped vs weighed vs measured.

in fact, I find now that I no longer use my measure, as I cannot SEE the powder level, or if it has dropped properly. I found myself Weighing many loads just to be sure.

but then, I only loaded about 500 at the most at one sitting.

Hurricane
01-23-2012, 10:56 AM
ghh3rd,

The smallest dipper in the current Lee powder dipper set is listed as 2.8 gr of Bulls Eye. It should be perfect for your needs.

mooman76
01-23-2012, 08:57 PM
I picked up an old dippers set too, the red ones. They are a little different than the new ones and that way I have more sizes. They have an old black set too but I think they are the same as the red. Like stated consistancy is the key. Practice a little until you get a consistant method down. The Lee powder chart is off a little but it actually comes out that the powder weighs a little less than the chart so I think maybe it's a safety margin.

kweidner
01-23-2012, 09:11 PM
mooman is right mine go a little less than what lee says they should. Haven't used them in a while till last month just cause. like riding a bicycle. Broke out the 2400 and H110 to see how consitent. Wondering why I went to the 55 to start . First experience with these dippers and Lee classic loader was 25 or so years ago. Set trigger p.o ackley in triple deuce with a papa smurf lunchbox inside a classic loader, tupper ware with powder, primers, mallet, and two brass. It was right before deer season and all the experts were out shooting the paper plates or trying to. My friend and I sat there all afternoon with 2 pieces of brass shooting one ragged hole with hand loader. Got some funny looks. Good times. Did the same thing this Thanksgiving shooting my 22 tracker at 100 yards right before season riging steel every shot. Good times. Some go out and shoot 1/2 a box a shells a year and wonder why they miss and wound animals. Just ticks me off.

jonk
01-24-2012, 11:11 AM
A .3 dipper will yield about 3 grains of bullseye. I think this is close enough. If you really must have 2.7, put a drop of wax in the bottom.

pdawg_shooter
01-24-2012, 12:13 PM
I use the Lee dippers when I am just loading a few test loads. Faster than resetting the measure all the time.

c1skout
01-24-2012, 07:38 PM
What do you do to combat static on the dippers, or am I the only one who has that problem?

mooman76
01-24-2012, 09:36 PM
For plastic to reduce static you can wipe with a drier sheet or rinse in diluted dish soap. I hear Dawn work real well.

Alley Cat
01-24-2012, 10:36 PM
Dippers can be just as repeatable or more so than powder dispensers. I simply use a powder dispenser because it's faster and I've found slight charge variations just don't seem to affect accuracy much.

Mike45
01-25-2012, 02:56 PM
My RCBS powder measure goes off volume. probably most others do too. so does the dipper. Plus you probably aren't near max or even close. just weigh the powder in your scale.

Great to see these other ideas for dippers!

Mike45
01-25-2012, 02:57 PM
youtube has videos of people using lee loader and dippers, might have dippers too. Also how to change 1911 springs.

nanuk
01-27-2012, 04:11 AM
for static cling, I have used liquid dish detergent.

to about a cup of water, I added about 1 tbsp of Sunlight detergent. stirred slowly to mix by no bubbles... worked ok.

I also used this on my glasses, and face protection to inhibit fogging in winter. but for this, use only about 1/4tsp of detergent or so. I found more would distort my vision