PDA

View Full Version : below the shoulder

white eagle
01-21-2012, 07:36 PM
if I have a boolit that seats deep under the shoulder
will dacron keep the exposed boolit protected to some extent ?
I have tried that very thing and although I can't prove it that is my hypothesis..
anyone care to indulge :lovebooli
I believe that the dacron on top of the powder charge acts as a wrap keeping forming gases away from the exposed boolit body

geargnasher
01-21-2012, 09:32 PM
One of Dacron's useful properties as a "filler" is that it really is only a powder locater, it doesn't restrict the powder gases much at all, thus enabling us to keep the powder where we want it without causing any undue pressure fronts in the case unless, of course, you tamp it down hard against the powder and leave an airspace between the Dacron and boolit base.

The real quesion is, is deep seating in the case causing you problems?

Gear

white eagle
01-21-2012, 10:14 PM
can't say one way or the other
just have read,heard that flame cutting can occur if the boolit is seated below the
case shoulder
now then again I can't prove one way or the other that it does

stubshaft
01-22-2012, 12:04 AM
I thought much the same but the results I got showed that the exposed base (below) the shoulder was not as accurate as when it was totally protected.

BulletFactory
01-22-2012, 12:06 PM
First thing I thought of is overpressure, second, was feeding issues.

Larry Gibson
01-22-2012, 12:14 PM
It is best to keep the base of the bullet inside the case neck (at least from the top of the GC) to prevent gas cutting of the sides of the cast bullet and riveting of the bullet base if the alloy is soft and the psi up there. A dacron filler will protect the base to some extent but it depends on the alloy, the load and how ver the bullet is below the case neck. The dacron filler will, of course, protect the powder from potential lube contaminations.

Let me say I seldom use cast bullets in a cartridge if they need be seated below the neck. In those rare cases where I do I definately use a dacron filler.

Larry Gibson

Boerrancher
01-22-2012, 01:15 PM
I as a rule, don't use boolits that extend out of the neck and into the case body. There are certain cals that don't easily lend themselves to cast loads. My 300 Sav being one of them, unless I stick to the lighter bullets, 150gr and smaller. The 30-30 on the other hand because of the long neck will accommodate just about any reasonable wt. boolit. The short necked cases that I have used cast in just don't seem to shoot as well once the boolit extends out of the neck.

Best wishes,

Joe

1Shirt
01-22-2012, 02:04 PM
Agree with Larry Gibson. IF you have to seat into the powder space and below the neck, it is important to use crip on gas checks if you are using a check blt. Don't know the results of a non crimp check coming off in the powder space, but it can't be good in my opinion. Filler in that case might be helpfull in maintaining the check on the base of the blt?????. Have always had better accuracy when the blt was within the neck.
1Shirt!:coffee:

popper
01-23-2012, 07:49 PM
Gas pressure is like electricity - it does it's damage in small cracks. You basically reduce the effectiveness of the GC. It will immediately sneak up the side of the bullet, just as if it were plain based. It won't be as bad as an undersized bullet gas cutting and probably won't see leading in the barrel but the base and sides are deformed and accuracy suffers.

BOOM BOOM
01-24-2012, 12:49 AM
HI,
I would try it. it is worth trying. It might help.
Actual experiments like these add to our knowledge.
Please post your results.:Fire::Fire: