PDA

View Full Version : Underhammer help

Molly
03-09-2007, 12:21 PM
Hi folks,

I've taken a notion that I'd like a pair of twin underhammer rifles, one in 45 cal for deer and one in 32 or 36 cal for small game (mostly squirrels). But I've run into problems defining what I need and where to get it. I hope someone here can help.

First the basic concept: I can't find anyone who makes underhammers any more. Dixie says they don't think they're available. But with old eyes, I'd sure like to put a scope on whatever I come up with, and the underhammer design seems best adapted to my needs. Comments?

Next the deer rifle: Most of my hunting is in the eastern woods (Pa & Ohio), where ranges have been as short as five FEET to 50 yards. Come to think of it, I don't think I've shot a deer past about 35 yards. I suspect a RB will do anything I need, but wonder if a Minie might be a better choice. Or how about a compromise twist that will do reasonably with either? What should I look for in terms of bore and groove diameter for barrel selection?

Now the small game version: Again, ranges won't exceed about 35 or 40 yards. I do a lot of casting, but I'd really rather just buy a bag of buckshot for this purpose: Simple, cheap and easy, if a suitable barrel is available. But which buckshot diameter should I select, and what bore dimensions? Where can I get a suitable barrel?

45 2.1
03-09-2007, 12:37 PM
Pricey, but.

http://www.pacificrifle.com/intro.htm

ktw
03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Blue Grouse used to be the best place to get them, but I heard he was having problems with parts availability lately. Wouldn't hurt to call him and ask.

http://www.underhammers.com/

-ktw

Molly
03-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Pricey, but.

WOW! I'll say! That's a bit out of my league.

ARKANSAS PACKRAT
03-09-2007, 03:52 PM
Molly.........Nurmrich arms made underhammers, I have a .45 Buggy rifle, great guns. They are hard to find, seen a few at shows, no you can't have mine!!! Not sure of the twist, (slow RB twist). For your .45, I'd stay with a RB twist, it'll do what you need without a problem, might shoot the Lee real slug too!
For the small cal. be cautious about the buckshot, the size is not too consitent, run some cast.
my .02 Nick

Molly
03-09-2007, 07:08 PM
...For the small cal. be cautious about the buckshot, the size is not too consitent, run some cast.

Hi Nick,

I hadn't thought about that! But I'm not going to worry too much about it just yet. I figure I can make up for a lot of variation by just changing the patch thickness, and if I buy two or three bags, it'll make a lifetime supply of ready made bullets.

Slowpoke
03-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Hi folks,

I've taken a notion that I'd like a pair of twin underhammer rifles, one in 45 cal for deer and one in 32 or 36 cal for small game (mostly squirrels). But I've run into problems defining what I need and where to get it. I hope someone here can help.

First the basic concept: I can't find anyone who makes underhammers any more. Dixie says they don't think they're available. But with old eyes, I'd sure like to put a scope on whatever I come up with, and the underhammer design seems best adapted to my needs. Comments?

Next the deer rifle: Most of my hunting is in the eastern woods (Pa & Ohio), where ranges have been as short as five FEET to 50 yards. Come to think of it, I don't think I've shot a deer past about 35 yards. I suspect a RB will do anything I need, but wonder if a Minie might be a better choice. Or how about a compromise twist that will do reasonably with either? What should I look for in terms of bore and groove diameter for barrel selection?

Now the small game version: Again, ranges won't exceed about 35 or 40 yards. I do a lot of casting, but I'd really rather just buy a bag of buckshot for this purpose: Simple, cheap and easy, if a suitable barrel is available. But which buckshot diameter should I select, and what bore dimensions? Where can I get a suitable barrel?

Maybe one these would work for you?

http://www.underhammers.com/

Good luck

Dale53
03-09-2007, 11:07 PM
I have shot muzzleloaders competitively, off and all for many years. I currently have several. My squirrel rifle is a .32 RB Pedersoli. It shoots like a house afire. I either cast my balls or use Hornady swaged balls. Hearing all of the advice about buckshot, I bought a bag. The balls were entirely too hard and just didn't shoot for beans.

As far as using a scope, I really like the TC Renegade using a "scout scope". MY Scout scope is merely a long or intermediate eye relief scope with a mount using the TC holes for the rear sight. The scope is two power and works beautifully in the woods using both eyes open. Really quick and precise.

My REAL preference on caliber for deer is a .54 RB. Anything up to a hundred yards or so, a Round Ball kills extremely well if it is of large caliber. The TC really has too fast a twist for optimum use with a large caliber RB. However, my .54 Renegade is plenty good enough at woods ranges. If you shoot well, you difinitely do NOT have to shoot them twice.

If you are looking for an optimum barrel for round balls. Buy a used Renegade (with a bad barrel you should be able to buy one for a relatively small amount). Then, buy a Green Mountain drop in barrel for a .54 round ball. The twist will be properly slow for optimum use in a RB gun and Green Mountain barrels are not only good but reasonably priced (I have a drop in barrel for my .54 Renegade for .45 caliber that I use for matches).

I had a underhammer "across the log" rifle built up and I never had so much trouble with a rifle in my life. I feel rather strongly about it and would much prefer using a straight, cap lock, muzzleloading rifle such as the inexspensive renegade.

Good luck!
Dale53

Boz330
03-10-2007, 09:54 AM
Try this guy he is just up I-74 from you there in Cincy. (765) 525-6181 The name is Deer Creek Products. They also have a great price on BP.
I have one of his 50s for deer hunting and it shoots great, not sure if they make a 32 in the underhammer. Price is reasonable but they are kits but can be shot right out of the box. BTW I'm an old Cincy boy myself transplanted to KY.

Bob

twotoescharlie
03-10-2007, 11:46 AM
no longer available from deer creek

TTC

Boz330
03-10-2007, 12:38 PM
Thats a shame it was a nice kit as was their Mowery Rifle.

Bob

Molly
03-10-2007, 03:36 PM
For anyone else who might be interested:

From http://www.underhammers.com/ (A nice BP site!)

Quote:
Prices on Hopkins & Allen are $255 and include shipping and two pounds of bullets or your choice If you have all the lead you need the rifles are $240 plus shipping

If you'd like a caliber other than .36, .45. or .50 we can build anything you'd like.

Contact Blue Grouse Black Powder

Boz330
03-10-2007, 06:03 PM
That is so close to the ones that I have bought that I wonder if the guy at Deer Creek didn't sell the equipment and patterns to those folks at Blue Grouse. The last time I was up there he had sold some of his rifling equipment. Maybe he has retired and just doing sales now. The prices are about the same and they sure look the same. If they shoot as good as the one I got several years ago they are good value for the money.

Bob

Slamfire
03-10-2007, 09:35 PM
I don't think Blue Grouse has updated their site since Deer Creek quit makin' the kits. :neutral:

twotoescharlie
03-10-2007, 10:10 PM
I got the last 50 cal. buggy rifle kit that bruce had in January of 2006. and had a hard time getting it. it turned out to be a very accurate little rifle.

TTC

Boz330
03-12-2007, 10:35 AM
TTC mine is as well. I found that I have to shoot it pretty hot though to get decent groups, 100gr 3F, but it will put a RB completely through a deer.

Bob

Slamfire
03-22-2007, 01:47 AM
If you happen to score a Hopkins & Allen type, you won't need two rifles as they are really set up for quick change barrels. :drinks:

Boz330
03-22-2007, 11:03 AM
Good point, I was thinking of making a 20ga for mine to try turkey hunting with. We have a min. ga. of 20. I think it would be a hoot to take a turkey with one.

Bob

Underclocked
03-22-2007, 04:46 PM
http://www.azmountainman.com/index.php

but I have no idea about the dealer's reputation or actual inventory

Bigjohn
03-22-2007, 09:34 PM
Molly;

Have you thought about a 'side slapper' or "Mule eared" lock.

Straight line ignition from the side not from underneath; everthing is almost as standard percussion rifle/shotgun except it does away with the bolster.

I will see what else I can find on them if you are interested.

John.

AzShooter
03-24-2007, 08:58 PM
http://www.azmountainman.com/index.php

but I have no idea about the dealer's reputation or actual inventory

AzMountainMan hasn't been able to get parts for a while but had a VERY nice one for sale at the Winter Nationals last month. May still have it so give him a call.