PDA

View Full Version : How old does a kid have to be to posess a handgun?

Down South
01-21-2012, 12:05 PM
My internet connection is slow here where I'm at and I am trying to research something important.
This may also belong in the Humor and Off Topic but I figured that
I would get more/better responses here.

I have an ex son in law that just bought one of my grandsons a .22 revolver for his birthday. The ex son in law is obviously not the sharpest tack in the pack.
The grandson is 14 and I am strongly against him using a handgun without being under strict supervision the entire time the handgun is in his possession.

OK, my question. What is the legal age for a kid to be able to use a handgun unsupervised in “Louisiana”? From the limited amount of research that I have been able to do, the age appears to be 17.
If someone who knows or has a fast enough connection to do a little research, I would appreciate an answer.

It appears that I will need to sit down with this ex son in law “Again” and have another long talk with him.

But in the meantime and as soon as I can, I will start teaching my grandson the basics of handgun safety and use.
I will stress that my grandson can not handle or use the handgun unsupervised.

I know this may seem a little strong to some here. But my wife lost a nephew 5 years ago to a handgun accident with a .22 revolver. It was a stupid mistake and he lost his life.
Kids just do stupid stuff sometimes and safety is not always first on their mind.

My grandson is an avid hunter and is well trained and experienced with a shotgun. I’ve been teaching safety and use of shotguns to him for a couple years plus he has obtained his hunter safety certificate.

DCP
01-21-2012, 12:20 PM
I believe you will need to take control of that handgun, and fast.
One day your Grandson will understand..

Call the local police dept and ask them. Have your grandson there when you call

It hard to be a part time father, tell that ex. Just spend time with him not bribe him

Good luck

Reload3006
01-21-2012, 12:32 PM
I think this is something that would be different in every state. I would call my local Sheriffs office and ask what the law is. Most will be happy to tell you.

lbaize3
01-21-2012, 01:02 PM
Here in Texas he will need a parent present when he is using a pistol...

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
from about.com

"What are the Gun Laws in Louisiana? ...From NRAILA "

"Possession
No state permit is required to possess a rifle, shotgun, or a handgun. It is illegal for any person who is a national of a country with whom the United States is at war to own, possess, have custody, or use any firearm.
It is unlawful for anyone who has been convicted of certain crimes of violence to possess a firearm for a period of ten years from the date of completion of the sentence, probation, parole or suspension of sentence.

It is unlawful for any person under seventeen to possess a handgun on his person, but this does not apply to any person under seventeen who is attending a hunter’s safety or firearms safety course; engaging in practice in the use of a firearm or target shooting at an established range; hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license; or traveling to or from one of the above."

link:
http://crime.about.com/od/gunlawsbystate/a/gunlaws_la.htm

Interesting, after the "highlighted in red" statement, it has exceptions,
I would have thought that there would have been a "supervisored by parent or guardian" ...or at least an adult.
Jon

Recluse
01-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Here in Texas he will need a parent present when he is using a pistol...

Correct, and will add "a parent or an eligible adult present." Eligible being one who is not prohibited by law (think: felon) from having direct or constructive possession of a firearm.

When your grandson turns eighteen, he can legally possess and even carry the handgun in his car, but cannot acquire a CHL, nor can he legally purchase via registered gun dealers (think: ATF 4473) a handgun.

I did some research on this when teaching my kid how to shoot and getting her outfitted. After Texas passed the "domicile extension" law, effectively and legally making one's car, RV, boat, airplane, et al, an extension of your domicile, it became perfectly legal for an eligible eighteen-year-old to have a handgun in their car/boat/etc.

Problem is, most cops don't know this law so as I advised my young lady, be damned careful and use a lot of discretion.

:coffee:

Down South
01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
JonB I found that bit of information but what does this part mean?

hunting or trapping pursuant to a valid license

I want my ex son in law to know it is illegal to just turn my grandson loose with a revolver if it is in fact illegal. I can use that as a hedge.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-21-2012, 03:24 PM
You should call the local conservation office (DNR) to verify.
BUT, I "assume" if he can get and has a valid license
to hunt or trap and he is hunting or trapping, then he can
do so with a handgun in his posession, legally.
Jon

waksupi
01-21-2012, 05:25 PM
Around here, once a kid grows enough butt to hold up a gun belt, it is not at all unusual to see young kids out in the woods with a gun. Lions, wolves, and bears don't ask for an ID to see how old someone is.

DLCTEX
01-21-2012, 08:53 PM
Recluse: Thanks for that info. I was needing to answer that question for my 20 year old son.