PDA

View Full Version : Why "Boolits" over "Bullets"?

Markbo
01-21-2012, 08:57 AM
I have seen numerous people naysay this spelling with more than one discussion getting downright agitated. It was always clear to me that it referred specifically to lead bullets. But I am curious and would like to steer some of these other guys straight... why was "Boolits" chosen over "Bullets" since "Cast" the first word and already clear what it means?

Thanks!
Mark

Bret4207
01-21-2012, 09:09 AM
Some place on this site there was a sticky explaining it. In short, someone starting using the term here way back when, back when seeing the word "jacketed" was see as profane, and it stuck. If someone doesn't like it and it really, really bothers them...tough! There are many terms used I find irritating (pill, head, spur, HARDCAST!!!) , I'm not starting WW3 over it.

Tatume
01-21-2012, 09:26 AM
It's cute. If you want to say "cast bullet" nobody will object.

However, "boolet" is peculiar to this forum, and serves as an unofficial keyword to identify information as originating here. If I'm doing an internet search and see it in a return, I'll usually click that link first.

stubert
01-21-2012, 09:49 AM
If someone asks what weight powder to use with a certain weight boolit, We know it's cast and no more clarification would be needed.

44man
01-21-2012, 09:54 AM
It's cute. If you want to say "cast bullet" nobody will object.

However, "boolet" is peculiar to this forum, and serves as an unofficial keyword to identify information as originating here. If I'm doing an internet search and see it in a return, I'll usually click that link first.
True and I have been beat up bad over boolit, it is hated by many, even Veral hates it.
But we are a special group here! No other site has so many members that get along like we do. We can fight tooth and nail but without anger and we still stay friends. I am starting to think other sites hate the word because of how well we get along, they don't have that.

fishhawk
01-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Boolit also gets around the censers that restrict access to "EVIL GUN SITES"

captaint
01-21-2012, 12:27 PM
Back when I decided to start casting (not that long ago) I dialed up "bullet casting" on Google. One of the first things I saw was Cast Boolits. I said OK, a little humor. My kind of people. I was right. And about Veral - he has no sense of humor at all using Boolits. I emailed him when I was buying a mold and used boolits. "Don't know what that is - never heard of one". OK Veral. Nice mold though. enjoy Mike

Rocky Raab
01-21-2012, 12:49 PM
I'm a disliker, also. One thing that's never been explained satisfactorily to me is this: If "boolit" means "a cast bullet", then why is the website called Cast Boolits?

Does Cast Boolits then mean cast cast bullets?

waksupi
01-21-2012, 12:56 PM
Markbo, it can be both a pronoun, and an verb.

midnight
01-21-2012, 01:02 PM
I just assumed it was a way of separating this site from all the other junk that may come up when using Google. Other than that, who cares.

Bob

rhbrink
Oh Boy now we'r gettin a english lesson to!

blackthorn
Personally don't like 'boolit', so I don't use it, but it does not bother me when someone else does. As far as Veral is concerned, I have his book---great book with lots of interesting information BUT as far as spelling goes---VERAL IS IN NO POSITION TO THROW ROCKS!!! Have a great day!

big dale
01-21-2012, 01:05 PM
I like it cause using it seems to piss a bunch of folks off. If I had been born about three decades later I might have been a punk rocker. I did go to a club one night in the late 70's when Merle Haggard opened for The Sex Pistols.

Have fun with this stuff.

Big Dale

Lizard333
01-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Bullets = jacketed bullets
Boolits = cast boolits

Easy enough.

Rocky Raab
01-21-2012, 01:23 PM
If anyone needs an English lesson, it would be you, rnbrink. You made no fewer than six errors in only nine words.

Lizard333
01-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Looks like Hukd on fonix workd fer hime!

perotter
01-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Thanks for the lesson on the word. I had always assumed that it came about because it more closely matched the phonic spelling of how bullet was pronounced in the area of the country the site originator was from.

And I never wanted to ask because I thought it would lead to an arguement about the correct way to pronounce bullet.

dakotashooter2
01-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Bullets = jacketed bullets
Boolits = cast boolits

Easy enough.

Close.......

Bullets= any bullet NOT a cast bullet

Boolits= cast bullets

As a note I have always associated boolit to" home cast bullets" as opposed to commercial cast bullets

Frank
01-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Boolits means you reinvented the wheel. It's easier to convince someone who knows nothing rather than someone who has extensive experience.

Hang Fire
01-21-2012, 01:46 PM
On other gun sites, I use the word boolit without thinking. Several times I have either got corrected for my spelling, or, someone asks, what is boolit?

I have never had to answer, for another poster will chime in and explains it's the word the bullet casters use over on Cast Boolits, often with a link to here.

mdi
01-21-2012, 01:53 PM
"Hard cast" , "pill", and "head" annoy me a whole lot more than "boolits". I think boolits is a spelling that signifies a kind if "kinship"; a fellow caster...

Rocky Raab
01-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Yes, but once again: if a "boolit" is a cast bullet, what is a cast boolit?

rhbrink
01-21-2012, 02:10 PM
If anyone needs an English lesson, it would be you, rnbrink. You made no fewer than six errors in only nine words.

Dang i was shootin for 100 % didnt quite makeit:)

wills
01-21-2012, 02:22 PM
It is a useful term of art. Among other things
1. When googled, it will direct the researcher to the ultimate scource of information on the subject
2. When seen in print, it lets the reader know the author is knowledgeable regarding the subject.

45nut
01-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Cast Bullets .Com was already taken as well several other variations, historically the crew I was learning from used the term boolits and that WAS available to register and so it was FATE.
I sat up a few nights trying to find a name to register s cast bullet site that was available to no avail before the light went on and CastBoolits was born in August of 2003. At that time there were no forums dedicated to the craft and I was still seeking skills and knew there was a legion of people that knew more than I did about the art and there were many things that were not covered in books.
The rest of the definition is covered in my signature.

Recluse
01-21-2012, 02:34 PM

A boolit that one of us cast, of course.

You officers always needed an experienced sergeant to explain things. . . :)

:coffee:

swheeler
01-21-2012, 02:39 PM
I really do not mind Boolits, but pipe, tube, pill, Winny, Webby, Remmy, Loopy, Remchester, Brownchester and a few others tend to get under my skin.:)

swheeler
01-21-2012, 02:42 PM
I forgot dude, man, bro and brah:)

imashooter2
01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
The term started back on Shooters.com, was carried forward through the brief stay at Aimoo and now has its home here.

The term was in use before I started reading at Shooters.com and I doubt that there are many of even the old guard that remember just exactly how it came to be.

45nut
01-21-2012, 02:57 PM
Felix remembers,, it was his wife I think that coined the term that he shared over at the CB room at shooters.com. If they hadn't shut down that domain this forum would have no reason to exist.
Fate.

Rocky Raab
01-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Thank you, Sgt Recluse. Crisp Salute!

And thanks to 45nut for creating this thing, however repetitively redundant. LOL!

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-21-2012, 04:11 PM
Since I became a member here...then a caster (Meaning I spent months reading here before I cast my first boolit) I try to use term boolit for home cast projectiles,
all others (including commercial cast bullets) are bullets.
Jon

mdi
01-21-2012, 05:40 PM

A boolit, what else?

WilNsc
01-21-2012, 06:45 PM
The deffinition is right above your first post :)

"Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena, The Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption. . . Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses."

BOOM BOOM
01-21-2012, 07:06 PM
HI,
IFIRC we used it on the old SHOOTER.COM & then the AIMOO site
It also served the purpose of filtering out some of the anti-gunners /spammers/virus **** because the uninitiated did not know the meaning.
:Fire::Fire:
OOPS ,had only read the 1st page when I posted this sorry.

tudor8055
01-21-2012, 07:23 PM
Cast boolit= Cast cast boolit
ATM machine= Automatic teller machine machine
VIN number= Vehicle identification number number

ghh3rd
01-21-2012, 07:36 PM
This should explain everything... directly from the Urban Dictonary at http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Boolit ;-)

Boolit
Street pronunciation and/or spelling of "bullet".

Plural: Boolitz, or sometimes Boolits, meaning Ammunition.
Freddy: Hey, yo - you got some boolitz fo my Deagle Fity?

Gun Store Clerk: Get lost, punk, I don't sell ammunition to gangsters!

Yo, Jo-Jo, I got me a tin of boolitz for my JJ (Jiminez .22) - how 'bout we makin some bling bang.

Man, all them whitey-nazies be buying up all the boolitz - even Wally (Walmart) ain't got none!

Leroy, you clean, so how about you go to the Army Navy and get Franklin hear to get us some mo boollits.

Rocky Raab
01-21-2012, 07:40 PM
Thank you, tudor. You get my point.

geargnasher
01-21-2012, 08:37 PM
ATM machine= Automatic teller machine machine
VIN number= Vehicle identification number number

As a professional mechanic, THAT is one of my most pet of peeves.

I think Recluse pretty much nailed it, "I cast a boolit" means "I made a cast bullet".

Now for the $64 question, how about swagers? It makes sense that you swage a solid lead boolit, but if you swage a jacketed core, it seems to me that you end up with a bullet whether you did it yourself or bought one in a yellow, red, or green box.

Gear

Lizard333
01-21-2012, 08:46 PM
As a professional mechanic, THAT is one of my most pet of peeves.

I think Recluse pretty much nailed it, "I cast a boolit" means "I made a cast bullet".

Now for the $64 question, how about swagers? It makes sense that you swage a solid lead boolit, but if you swage a jacketed core, it seems to me that you end up with a bullet whether you did it yourself or bought one in a yellow, red, or green box.

Gear

You had to go there. That's a great question. Swaging your own "projectile" is just as gratifying as casting a boolet. That's a tough one.....:)

waksupi
01-21-2012, 09:01 PM
Chicken - egg - cast- swaged.

The swaged forum came on here long after the birth pains were over.

MikeS
01-22-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm a disliker, also. One thing that's never been explained satisfactorily to me is this: If "boolit" means "a cast bullet", then why is the website called Cast Boolits?

Does Cast Boolits then mean cast cast bullets?

Rocky: After reading your books, I'm kind of surprised that you dislike boolits. I always just assumed that the word is used here mostly to differentiate between the 'true' members, and those that are just occasional visiters. Kind of like you flying a 'pig' rather than an airplane. (that is what you called the O2, or am I remembering it wrong?)

220swiftfn
01-22-2012, 01:28 AM
I believe that it's because Boolette is a very attractive brunette, and Bullette is just a mousy, plain woman......... And since the site is named in her honor, it just made sense.....

(I know the Originator's story doesn't match this, but hey, which is more believable???)

:)

Dan

frankenfab
01-22-2012, 01:39 AM
I forgot dude, man, bro and brah:)

So, I guess you don't like my user title, then.:groner:

:lovebooli

Bullet Caster
01-22-2012, 01:56 AM
I was a member here for over a month before I found out what "boolit" meant. By that time I had read Ken's signature and found out what it truly meant. So if the top honcho wants to call it "boolit" then "boolit" it is. No problem. BC

Lively Boy
01-22-2012, 02:36 AM
heck even the wife calls them boolits

Mooseman
01-22-2012, 05:28 AM
Ok...it is simple !

B ullets
O ut
O f
L ead
I ngots
T hat
S hoot

Rich

adrians
01-22-2012, 08:37 AM
:cbpour: are concieved ,with love, on / in ones ,,front porch,back shed , loading room , kitchen (not in my abode [smilie=l:) or wherever you deem appropriate.
Bullets are from some copper covered planet or Gander mountain.
iv'e been seen using both..... :twisted: :coffee: :evil:

ghh3rd
01-22-2012, 11:11 AM

I think that a boolit is a cast bullet, so wouldn't a cast boolit be a cast cast bullet?

canyon-ghost
01-22-2012, 11:30 AM
Being on several websites, it took Ken some serious work in chat to get me to type boolit rather than bullet. I don't mind because, I just envision Foster Brooks really, really drunk slur of Booo-oolitsssss! Makes me chuckle a little.

Nowdays, I use the two spellings interchangably.

Ron

44man
01-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Ok...it is simple !

B ullets
O ut
O f
L ead
I ngots
T hat
S hoot

Rich
Now we have it! :bigsmyl2: That would be the best response on other sites ever thought of. Super, thank you. [smilie=s:

44man
01-22-2012, 12:13 PM
Chicken - egg - cast- swaged.

The swaged forum came on here long after the birth pains were over.
Darn, I posted, had a double post, deleted one and both went.
I have the answer. Swaged with a jacket is a bullet but plain lead is a boolit.
B-bullets
O-out of
O-old
L-lead
I-in
T-the
S-swage
I had to get in on the fun. [smilie=l:

Lizard333
01-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Darn, I posted, had a double post, deleted one and both went.
I have the answer. Swaged with a jacket is a bullet but plain lead is a boolit.
B-bullets
O-out of
O-old
L-lead
I-in
T-the
S-swage
I had to get in on the fun. [smilie=l:

Your just trying to get your post count up..... Excuses, excuses....

44man
01-22-2012, 01:31 PM
Your just trying to get your post count up..... Excuses, excuses....
:bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:
Really nothing I ever looked at and when I did---HOLY COW, have I spent that much time one this machine?
You need to know it is from being retired, looking at important work to be done and saying---HECK WITH IT!

Char-Gar
01-22-2012, 04:28 PM
Bill Shakespear wrote in Romeo and Juliet.." A rose by any other name, would smell as sweet."

I find the bickering over nouns to be amusing. John Taffin breaks out in a sweat if somebody calls a sixgun/revolver a wheel gun. Unless you are some kind of word Nazi, what difference does it make?

I never use the term "boolit" but stay with bullet, but I am a retro kind of guy anyway.

prs
01-22-2012, 07:42 PM
I disagree with several above. Cast boolit refers to a subset of boolits and not the only type of boolit. Swaged boolits are boolits too, nes pas!

prs

Blammer
01-22-2012, 08:17 PM
Veral? who's he?

I like CB's. :)

gandydancer
01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
I like it. and the owners of this site Whom made the word up let me use this site FOR FREE.

floodgate
01-22-2012, 08:49 PM
It is especially important now that "bullet" is used - more often than not - in newspapers, novels and even police reports to refer to complete loaded rounds.

"My hobby is re-filling spent bullets..."

(the Old Rabble-Rouser)

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-22-2012, 09:12 PM
Now for the $64 question, how about swagers? It makes sense that you swage a solid lead boolit, but if you swage a jacketed core, it seems to me that you end up with a bullet whether you did it yourself or bought one in a yellow, red, or green box. Gear

It is especially important now that "bullet" is used - more often than not - in newspapers, novels and even police reports to refer to complete loaded rounds.

Gear, I swage some brass jacketed bullets, BT and I go way back ...before he started selling CH die bodies with his improved internal parts on another forum. I did some testing and QC type of consulting with his 44 caliber projectiles. I called them "swedges" for many months til I joined castboolits, then BT PMed me and said, you better quit mis-spelling swaged bullets or people here will give you krap.
So, as I said before, to me...Homemade cast are boolits...everything else is bullets.

-which leads me to floodgate's quote,
apparently everything else is a bullet !

MtGun44
01-22-2012, 11:20 PM
"A tale told by an idiot, sound and fury, signifying nothing."

Bill

(quoting that other Bill)

( just too many folks getting too worked up about something
that is unimportant)

RugerFan
01-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Didn't Ken hold a vote way back when on what to call the site (specifically the spelling we're talking about)? Of course I could be imagining things. It wouldn't be the first time.

MBTcustom
01-23-2012, 02:19 PM
When I first joined the site, I thought it was quaint, unique, and special to this sight. It adentifies every post that is found on a random google search as originating here. Thats why I originaly came here, I kept seeing boolits show up on google searches. I assumed that It was one very knowledgable guy that spelled it that way. This feller was right on the money so many times that I decided to find out who he was and how he learned so much about my favorite hobby. I found out that It was so much bigger than that.
I was right about there being a guy that knew so much about the science of this craft. I was wrong about there only being one of him. There are thousands of unrecognized experts that hang out here to help others first and to learn more secondly. I have mentioned it before that everybody on cast boolits is either an expert....or is working on it.
When I first saw the word being used, I wondered where it came from (thanks Ken for clearing it up) but it reminds me of one of my favorite movies of all time Bite the Bullet with Gene Hackman, at one point in the movie there is this line: (watch the movie seriously) "Have you ever known a boolit that was good for the health? I have known many boolits, but this one........."
I love that part! (Even though he was technically talking about the casing.)

DLCTEX
01-23-2012, 04:30 PM
I think worrying over the term boolits is misplaced. Let's worry about important terms like Site for Sight and vice versa. Or Heads for boolits OR bullets. Those two really are like nails on a chalkboard for me.:lovebooli

Reg
01-23-2012, 07:53 PM
:popcorn:

olafhardt
01-24-2012, 05:20 AM
Too continue to use only jaxketed seems stoopid tu mea win eye can maik boolits out uv wele waits.

Mooseman
01-24-2012, 06:28 AM
We is Hooked on Fonix 2 !

you say po ta toe ...I say Taters
You say To ma to ....I say Maters

Funny thing is It's ALL Good LOL

Rich

jonk
01-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Well I personally hate the word 'boolit' as it sounds childish and uneducated. I am, however, willing to put up with it and accept that many here feel differently. That's fine, I just won't use the term in my posts.

Rangefinder
01-24-2012, 11:03 AM
When I first stumbled onto this site, the word "boolit" bugged the heck out of me--but then I tend to be a bit OCD on some things (proper spelling and a basic attempt at grammar being high on the list). However, the word has certainly made its mark on me and has been added to my dikshunaree proudly ;). Why? Because it's become somewhat of a 'badge' for me that distinguishes us lead-slingers from the general purpose reloader. We are a different breed for sure.

RevGeo
01-24-2012, 11:05 AM
It seems like most hobbies, and professions for that matter, have their own lingo that identifies those in the know.

George

sqlbullet
01-24-2012, 12:38 PM
I really don't care for boolits either. but I prefer it to typing cast bullets and jacketed bullets over and over. So boolits for cast and bullets for jacketed saves a bunch of typing time and leads to concise statements.

and thus a new word is born.

Aunegl
01-24-2012, 03:57 PM
American English is an evolving language.

slim1836
01-24-2012, 04:01 PM
Webster should become aware of this so they can include it in the next edition.

Slim

Hickory
01-24-2012, 04:03 PM
I never had much respect for a man who could spell a word only one way
Mark Twain

jandbn
01-24-2012, 10:01 PM
Since first lurking on CB and prior to reading this thread, much like JonB and Recluse, I have always though of boolits as that which were cast by your own sweat and burns, nothing else. I've just been edjumacated here again!

So now that I know the correct definition, is there an appropriate pronuciation for boolits? I don't want to assume... :)

prs
01-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Heck, rite cheer in West Virginia, we'uns has always called 'm boolits.

prs

Canuck Bob
01-25-2012, 03:40 AM
I like it cause using it seems to piss a bunch of folks off. If I had been born about three decades later I might have been a punk rocker. I did go to a club one night in the late 70's when Merle Haggard opened for The Sex Pistols.

Big Dale

That was a show I would have enjoyed!

I use bullet, Brits use head, here boolit is popular for cast bullets. It really is a fun thing! Who cares as we seem to have no difficulty understanding each other.

Another favorite of mine is a patched round ball in a flintlock. Ever seen a square ball?

Markbo
01-25-2012, 02:20 PM

Big Dale

Damn... I would sure like to have the concert T-Shirt from that show! :D

josper
01-25-2012, 03:07 PM
One way or the other I know what they mean,I wouldn't spend much time quibbling about it.lol.

dakotashooter2
01-25-2012, 03:26 PM

You have to take it in the same context as ..."all yall"...................:groner:

skimmerhead
01-25-2012, 03:45 PM
there is a sign on my barn that says ( the boolit factory ) when people ask me why i spell it like that i have several explanations i use. one is i only made it to the second grade in school ! the other is, what its spelled wrong ? and then my favorite, may we talk funny down here in de swamp's :groner:

skimmerhead :lovebooli

BossHoss
01-25-2012, 11:07 PM
True and I have been beat up bad over boolit, it is hated by many, even Veral hates it.
But we are a special group here! No other site has so many members that get along like we do. We can fight tooth and nail but without anger and we still stay friends. I am starting to think other sites hate the word because of how well we get along, they don't have that.

Oh boy,

I emailed Veral about some lube and used the term boolit. I asked him if I could send him a boolit with LBT on it , so he could tell me if it was commercial, blue or soft blue. I got my sizer with LBT in it, but never knew which one it was. I was able to size a few with what was there.

LOL. He will curse it (boolit) , and not respond....lol..

Hamish
01-26-2012, 02:19 AM
"Boolits= as God laid it into the soil,,grand old Galena,the Silver Stream graciously hand poured into molds for our consumption."
"Bullets= Machine made utilizing Full Length Gas Checks as to provide projectiles for the masses."

Ah-men.

I belong to a couple of other outfits like this. One is a bunch of folks who go out of their way to lovingly collect, refurbish, catalogue, discuss, and help one another with the identification, refurbishment, and use of antique hand tools. Sound familiar? Each tribe has their own dialect, alf-a- bet, and lang-wich. I keep an eye out and periodically sprinkle a code word here and there on the feeling that sooner or later I'll find another cross-pollinator.

Case in point, I see Skimmerheads post, I wonder if that means somebody thought he had a head like a 'gator, I google-fu: http://www.bing.com/search?q=what+is+a+skimmerhead&src=IE-SearchBox&Form=IE8SRC

Now, when I get around to trying to get that metal lathe up and running, I've possibly got another resource cause he's also over at practical machinist.

Like Goodsteel, my google-fu kept flipping CB at me. It surprises me not when CB tops the page when I search, and it's rarely *NOT* CB's when I do a search anymore.

It's Boolit's cause it's real folks doing something enjoyable, in a nice setting.

fatelvis
01-26-2012, 09:06 AM
it can be both a pronoun, and an verb.
It's also a name. I used it for my first born son! Lol

mrbillbus
01-26-2012, 11:45 AM
The person at the bank or doctor's office asking for the last four digits of my "sosh".

Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!!! Stop it already!

:killingpc

Freischütz
01-26-2012, 02:18 PM
It's and easy and fun way to pi$$ some people off.

QuickRick
01-26-2012, 03:18 PM
I am pretty much with Bret4207 on this one. I have no problems with the use of a "non word" in the name of our forum or in referencing cast bullets in general. Life is to short to fret over such trivia. I actually think it sets us apart in a neat sort of way. I utilize this forum to broaden (and sometimes share) my knowledge / experience with shooters sharing similar interests. I'm not here for lessons on English grammar or to share "deep thoughts" with members of Menza. Have a great day and enjoy a great hobby......

ofreen
01-29-2012, 10:18 PM
I've been on the forum for a few years but as can be seen, I don't post very often. I've been casting bullets for 40 years, though. I remember 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer) a new member (no, not me) used the word 'bullet' in a post and several others jumped all over him for it. It was kind of a turnoff, but I haven't seen anything like that lately. It doesn't bother me if people type 'boolit', but it would feel like an affectation for me to do it.

MikeS
01-30-2012, 12:48 AM
I will type boolit, but when it comes to talking, I pronounce it the same way bullet is pronounced. For me to do otherwise wouldn't be natural, and would just be an affectation. :)

Markbo
01-30-2012, 03:03 PM
I've been on the forum for a few years but as can be seen, I don't post very often. I've been casting bullets for 40 years, though. I remember 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer) a new member (no, not me) used the word 'bullet' in a post and several others jumped all over him for it. It was kind of a turnoff, but I haven't seen anything like that lately. It doesn't bother me if people type 'boolit', but it would feel like an affectation for me to do it.

Well anyone who uses the word affectation in a sentence is obviously too smart for this site anyway! :D

ofreen
01-30-2012, 09:08 PM
Well anyone who uses the word affectation in a sentence is obviously too smart for this site anyway! :D

I've never used the word until now. Been waiting years for just the right moment.;)

Hamish
02-02-2012, 12:04 AM

Metrhinks one knowing the meaning of the word is about equal to using said word.

Markbo
02-03-2012, 05:08 PM
Well I do like to eschew obfuscation where I can!

USAFrox
08-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Well I personally hate the word 'boolit' as it sounds childish and uneducated. I am, however, willing to put up with it and accept that many here feel differently. That's fine, I just won't use the term in my posts.

AMEN! I just can't bring myself to use it, as it sounds either childish or uneducated or both. I won't try to get others to not use it (to each his own), but I just can't use it myself.

Echo
08-18-2013, 02:52 PM
And since the 'p' was silent, as in 'pneumonia', it was dropped from the spelling...

Echo
08-18-2013, 02:54 PM
And of course it is an affectation - so what?

hornady308
08-18-2013, 03:03 PM
If you think the word BOOLIT makes people unhappy, just try using the term .45 LONG COLT around the cowboy crowd. And as for affectation, well that's why we have penicillin. Clears affectations right up.

JonB_in_Glencoe
08-18-2013, 03:12 PM

Isn't it an affectation to use the word affectation ?

USAFrox
08-18-2013, 03:16 PM
If you think the word BOOLIT makes people unhappy, just try using the term .45 LONG COLT around the cowboy crowd. And as for affectation, well that's why we have penicillin. Clears affectations right up.
I've made that mistake before. You would have thought I'd insulted their mother!:groner:

waksupi
08-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Get on a domain where any firearms related words or websites are blocked, you may gain a whole new liking for the word boolits.

Pilgrim
08-18-2013, 07:07 PM
Most of the original crowd has moved on (one way or another) so the original purpose was/has been forgotten. When we started on Shooters, a fair amount of typing was involved in explaining what type of projectile was being talked about. It got old fast typing jacketed or cast in front of bullet. Plus, often the adjective wasn't used so we continually had to ask "jacketed or cast". As the originator of the term, I plead "guilty". I'm no more happy with it than I was originally. On the other hand, none of us could come up with a different term that was so readily recognizable. Hence boolit...that's the long and short of it. No secret hand shakes, no membership, no approval needed to use it. It simply and quickly identifies the projectile as "cast lead". Period....as an aside "general consensus" bugs the hell out of me. FWIW....Pilgrim.

finishman2000
08-18-2013, 07:17 PM
I still call all bullets..heads. That seems to drive a lot of the guys nuts here. That's what I was taught to call them 35 years ago by guys who knew amd forgot more than I will ever know about shooting, competing and reloading.

NSP64
08-18-2013, 07:37 PM
That is the beauty of the English language.
If we had to be anal (technically correct) all the time we would be using Latin.
Look at all the stupid (I think they are, the Yorks(( Young dorks)) that think them up will argue otherwise) words they add to the dictionary every year. LOL

P.S. I use boolits (when in Rome).

robpete
08-18-2013, 09:21 PM
If you think the word BOOLIT makes people unhappy, just try using the term .45 LONG COLT around the cowboy crowd.

Lol! so very true.....

GunFun
08-18-2013, 09:43 PM
"I've been on the forum for a few years but as can be seen, I don't post very often. I've been casting bullets for 40 years, though. I remember 3 or 4 years ago (maybe longer) a new member (no, not me) used the word 'bullet' in a post and several others jumped all over him for it. It was kind of a turnoff, but I haven't seen anything like that lately. It doesn't bother me if people type 'boolit', but it would feel like an affectation for me to do it."

Minus the vast experience this sums my views up.

It's fine that other enjoy the 'insiderness.'

I don't see it used as exclusively as the above definitions would have us think though. I have seen it used in reference to jacketed bullets too.

Honestly, it irritates me a little, but I choke that down since I am so grateful for the good info here.
Part of what bugs me is the implication of dogmatic coke / pepsi wars. I don't have or want a vendetta against jacketed bullets. They both have their places and I'll gladly use both. Besides, this place has got me on the leading edge of that new trend of what I call "plastic jacketed bullets" ( see this thead http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?87768-lead-bullets-coated-with-polymer-paint/page22)
Which I find to be a useful term for changing the minds of people who reject lead bullets out of hand.(A gateway projectile for the glockers?)

So I would feel like a hypocrite if I were to use boolets or boolits, but I will gladly read the information posted by those who do.

I think the best part about the term though is the ability to filter search terms. It is very nice to be able to get to useful information without the search engines pushing up unrelated content that is paying for placement.

rosst
08-18-2013, 10:36 PM
somehow it helps to link all of this and more together . . .

armouredtrooper
08-18-2013, 11:08 PM
If someone asks what weight powder to use with a certain weight boolit, We know it's cast and no more clarification would be needed.

I don't know about any other newbies, but I like the term "boolit" as it does signify a difference between cast and jacketed (which by the way, will never see the inside of my rifles bore).

fcvan
08-19-2013, 12:03 AM
I learned to cast in the mid 1970s with my dads equipment. Before I started casting again as an adult, I briefly bought factory cast bullets. When I first started lurking here I thought the 'boolits' label was a cute way of saying 'I made that' vs factory cast.

This website has been instrumental in teaching me to be a better caster and to explore different techniques and concepts. I now powder coat, punch plain base and regular gas checks, and have even made my own 'loob.' I also learned that White label lube is great stuff and so inexpensive that making lube is hardly practical for me.

For those who scoff at the term 'Boolits' I can only say 'to each his own' and not worry about it much. Boolits are kind of an inside joke for the members here, a sort of silly fraternity/sorority for us casters. A group of great folks with whom I'm proud to associate freely.

BCB
08-19-2013, 09:47 AM
As we go through life, we see many things that designate organizations, groups, religions, military insignias and uniform designs, etc…

I think the word “boolit” is just one of those indicators…

I know when I post on other sites concerning “cast bullet”, I use the “boolit” spelling to designate I am a member, and proud to be a member, of this site…

It can sort of be “the secret handshake” to allow other members/posters of this site to recognize a fellow member of the CAST BOOLITS website when posting on other sites…
(Do other organizations have “the secret handshake”???!!!)

BCB

OverMax
08-19-2013, 11:44 AM
OTOH. The few intentional miss-spelled words that are used on this site don't bother me what-so-ever. If someones spelling may not be correct or the members subject matter or material may wane from his intended meaning doesn't bother me either. FWIW. What bother's me are those who purposely critique and perhaps berate another member with their petty comments. I find that insupportable and have no tolerance for. IMNSHO.
Then there is one small other matter that tweaks me a little. >Common Web Acronyms.< They are a whole new language curve for this fellow. No doubt about it!! they can be bothersome. IMHO.

O/M

dondiego
08-19-2013, 12:09 PM
OM - What does IMNSHO mean?

mold maker
08-19-2013, 12:27 PM
In My Not So Humble Opinion. I guess you can still teach this old dog a new trick or two. ROFLOL

dragon813gt
08-19-2013, 12:49 PM
Get on a domain where any firearms related words or websites are blocked, you may gain a whole new liking for the word boolits.

Now this is a very valid point. I find the term childish so I don't use it. The same goes for certain terms in other hobbies I'm involved in. But I could not care less if someone else wants to use them.

blackthorn
08-19-2013, 12:58 PM
Quote "So I would feel like a hypocrite if I were to use boolets or boolits, but I will gladly read the information posted by those who do."

I thought "Boolet" was the cutie pie that is currently trying to hide behind the "welcome----" box at the top of the page on my computer!

Dean D.
08-19-2013, 01:57 PM
Webster should become aware of this so they can include it in the next edition.

Slim

I truly hope this never happens. If it does you will see filters exclude and/or block our site. Signs of the times I suppose. <sigh>

mold maker
08-19-2013, 03:14 PM
It's just like the dialect thing. If you exclude it, you will be a real loser. If you learn to enjoy it, you'll open another whole world of knowledge.
Of course some already know everything worth learning.

Hamish
10-19-2013, 07:26 PM
How about a little dollop of historical type threadliness to bump it up for the edification of new and old alike,,,

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?22148-quot-BOOLIT-quot-as-seen-elsewhere

felix
10-19-2013, 07:46 PM
Once upon a time and/or this ain't no schitt, depending upon which service you are most familiar with......

The term booooo-lits was defined first by my wife, Pat, back in the early 70's when I transferred from jacketed projectiles to lead ones for ALL of my shooting, and about when I quit the BR circuit for real. The term was re-invented and applied by SHUZ in all his successive posts when this board was known as Shooters.com (circa 1995). The term grew like a California wildfire and it became sort of obscure over time who the first person was to use the term because EVERYONE was using it within a month or two. ... felix