PDA

View Full Version : Ben, his young friend, and a letter to me.

Recluse
01-21-2012, 01:48 AM
Some time back, one of our long time members here, Ben, posted that he was helping a young man and his family out on getting them set up to reload so they could hunt. . . so they could eat.

I gathered that times were particularly hard for this fourteen-year-old and his family, and PM'd Ben to see if I could help.

Ben graciously accepted my offer and after discussing the young man's needs, I sent some stuff. They were pretty close to being ready, but were "saving up," get this. . . for a pound of gun powder.

I am blessed. I've always had a few dollars around to at least by a pound of gun powder or a hundred primers so as to load so I could go and shoot a wild hog or young doe or whatever and manage to feed myself.

Anyhow. . .

Two days ago, I received a letter in the mail, postmarked from Alabama with a return address written in the juvenile handwriting of a young man. I was puzzled at first, then a smile broke out across my face.

In the spirit of what Cast Boolits is all about and a number of the members here I am proud to call my friends, I'd like to share the words of this young man:

Dear Mr. (Ill-Tempered Texan),

Hello, sir. I am Dustin XXXXX, the guy you sent some reloading items to. I would like to start off by saying thank you, sir. You have no idea how much it means to me for you to have given me 50 .308 cases, 100 cast bullets and $25 cash.

I cannot express my gratitude enough to you, sir. Before I end this letter, sir, I want to say thanks again. I can assure you I will put the items to good use.

Sincerely,

Dustin XXXXXXX

P.S. Sorry it took so long for me to send this letter. I ran out of stamps.

I did not change a word in this letter (written in pencil on schoolbook notebook paper), did not correct one single misspelling (there weren't any), did not make one single grammatical correction (no need to).

These are the words of a young man filled with character and goodness and whose parents raised him right.

To Ben, I'd like to ask you to keep me appraised of how this family is doing.

To all, THIS is truly what Cast Boolits and our community is about. Passing on our blessings, gifts, generosity and "taking care of our own" to help make our nation and our world a little bit better place.

God Bless you, Dustin. God Bless you. You made this ill-tempered Texan's day.

:coffee:

cbrick
01-21-2012, 01:57 AM
Pretty cool, about the time ya start thinking it's all over for our society along comes somebody like Dustin and screws up all your thinking. :mrgreen:

Rick

P.K.
01-21-2012, 02:05 AM
I got a similar one today. I won't mention it's contents but will leave that to Ben or his apprentice should they decide to let it out.

Young man,

You are welcome to those items, some were gatering dust, others I have, but most of all I sent what needs to be learned and started from. ;-)

What you have at the very least is a growing library of an art, more so here if and when Ben thinks you are ready for casting your own boolits!

I'm pretty sure you have what you need to get started now. Thanks for the letter. I made sure I sent all I could to square you away with our trade. Welcome to the crowd of persnickity reloaders and down right cheap cast folks....;-)

btroj
01-21-2012, 09:13 AM
Kind of reaffirms ones faith in today's youth.

Nice to see that appreciation and thankfulness are not dead in society. Not to mention the generous gift from Recluse.

Nice story about to good men, one older, one younger.

gray wolf
01-21-2012, 10:30 AM
In a world that seems to be filled with takers, there are still givers. The folks that get to receive from the givers get to see the world is not made up of takers.
( did I say that right ? )
Nice Job Recluse.

Sam

Jim
01-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Like the song says, "That's somethin' to be proud of..."

01-21-2012, 11:46 AM
Dustin sent me a thank you letter, too. It made my day!! It’s heartening to see that other members sent Dustin items, as well, and that he has thanked them.

I composed a short note, in reply, that is awaiting the afternoon mail pickup (got involved with chores and missed yesterday’s mail) In the note, I told Dustin that I was going to post a thread regarding his letter and, not knowing if he had Internet access, that Ben could share it with him. In it, I made Dustin and open offer to cast more boolits.

Dustin’s letter reflects not only what a fine young gentleman he is, but the excellent job that his parents have done in raising him.

Dustin, if you are reading this: It’s been an honor. Thank you, sir.

DCP
01-21-2012, 12:11 PM
As young men grow older old men become wiser

DARN allergies acting up again. Got to go find a paper towel

God bless you all

bbs70
01-21-2012, 12:24 PM
In my 64 years on this earth I've grown into a cynical old S.O.B.
I've seen people taken advantage of, screwed over, and plain used by others.
People who say they need help but actually don't.
People who are out to get what they want by lying and using others.
People with kind hearts giving to those who lie to them and use them to get what they want..

I'm sure I'm not the only one here who has seen this in their life time at least once.
I look at letters and posts like this with a cynical eye just out of habit.

I tend to forget there are kind, generous, and decent people out there in need who are not as lucky as I am.
As CBRICK said "About the time ya start thinking it's all over for our society along comes somebody like Dustin and screws up all your thinking."

Nothing was asked for, the items given were to help the young man along.
Its mighty nice and refreshing to know there are people out there that are willing to help someone along lifes road.
And people who ask for nothing but a kind word on occasion.

Evidently this young man has a .308, but I have nothing that he might need for that caliber.
BUT, I do have some ww ingots if he would like them.
He might not be ready to cast yet, but he will have them when he does.
I will send them free of charge with postage paid.

Anyone else, or am I the only cold hearted S.O.B. out here.:mrgreen:

lbaize3
01-21-2012, 01:12 PM
Recluse,

You impressed me a while back on a veteran's issue. Then again with your adopted daughter. This time you have gone over the top... Your kindness to a friend of a friend reinforces my feeling that we are each indeed our brothers keepers. Only through kindness and charity can we hope to understand each other and bring about a better society.

Thanks buddy,
Leonard

xbeeman412
01-21-2012, 01:21 PM
This shows that there is HOPE for our future young folks if given the right upbringing or mentoring. This Young Lad sent Me a thankyou letter as well a while back for the help I sent.

The way I was raised up was to help in any way one could. When We were raising goats We tried to give a show goat to some kid that had never shown a animal before to get them started in ag. The best way to help is mentor. When the kid grows up they will never forget being mentored and most likley will pay it foward.

Reload3006
01-21-2012, 01:31 PM
That lad may not have much money but he is being raised right. Kudos to one and all.

snglstack
01-21-2012, 01:44 PM
touched and a little misty here...what a wonderful forum

Alvarez Kelly
01-21-2012, 01:57 PM
Somebody PM me that kids address. I have some .308 cases and no .308 to shoot 'em in...

xbeeman412
01-21-2012, 05:10 PM
If You have Bens address send them to Him and he will get them to Him.

Alvarez Kelly
01-21-2012, 05:42 PM
If You have Bens address send them to Him and he will get them to Him.

I don't. Can someone PM me Ben's address then?

bbs70
01-21-2012, 06:15 PM
I don't. Can someone PM me Ben's address then?

Yes, same here for the lead

Chicken Thief
01-21-2012, 06:34 PM
Is this "Ben" doing this on a regular basis?

If so then i might have some items to spare for others that are needy.

starreloader
01-21-2012, 07:07 PM
I got a similar "THANK YOU" lettter today as did Recluse, P.K and 462... All I can say that everytime you think this world has gone to the dogs along comes a young person like DUSTIN.. Thank you Dustin!!

1Shirt
01-21-2012, 07:14 PM
This is a young man that will grow up to be a conservative for sure! Atta boys for him and Ben!
1Shirt!:coffeecom

Ben
01-21-2012, 08:14 PM
Sometimes things work out a lot worse than you'd ever imagine and sometimes it is the reverse. I never dreamed when I made the initial post ( months ago ) concerning my interest & efforts to help young Dustin that this many people " would step up to the plate".

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=130265

I just never dreamed that anything like all this would be possible.

Dustin and his Dad visited my home recently and the boy said " You know something, ........you hear all about bad people doing bad things in the world. BUT All these people on Castboolists have never met me , but yet have been so kind and generous to me. Someday, I'd like to do something like this for someone else."

You know......That pretty much ( as my Old Granddaddy would say ) gets the hay down to where the goats can get to it.

I figure that I'm a lot like many of you in that ......I don't mind helping someone that is willing and able to help themselves. These people are very appreciative of the help and interest shown them.

Thanks to all of you for any kindness you've offered my friend Dustin,

Ben

P.S. I got one of those thank you letters wrote with a dull pencil on notebook paper also. Grammatically correct, all spelling correct. WOW ! ! Makes me proud to have all of you as brothers.

01-21-2012, 10:10 PM
Ben, please pass this along to Dustin:

Dustin,
Many people are in need of many different kinds of help, and one of life's most heart warming pleasures is helping someone who truely appreciates it. I know that, someday, you will experience the same warm heart (and a lump in the throat) that you have given me.
Though we will never meet, I consider you a friend.
Michael

Ben
01-21-2012, 10:11 PM
Will do.......Michael.

Ben

smoked turkey
01-21-2012, 10:46 PM
There is a car agency ad that runs here on one of our local channels that always ends with a line that fits here.."What a Place". I am very proud to have this place where I can get my moral compass calibrated every now and then.

Bullet Caster
01-22-2012, 01:03 AM
I want to say a big thank you to Recluse not only for helping out Dustin but for helping me out too. What great members here on CastBoolits. I would like to thank Ken and LoveLife for their helping me too. You guys have the biggest hearts of anyone that I have ever known. And thank you Ben for helping out this young man. And kudos to all the other members who have taken not only their time but money and equipment to help out this family. I have great respect and admiration for you all. God bless you and keep you are my prayers everynight for all CastBoolit members and friends. BC

P.K.
01-23-2012, 12:50 AM
There is this old book floating around with a phrase in it about fishing. I think the bases were covered in the "teaching" part.

Ben, tell him to sing out if he needs more help. We'll be there. ;-)

ErikO
01-23-2012, 10:23 AM
Glad to see the .38 Spc brass went to a great home. Dan thanks for helping us help them, the boolits all seated great and will be spent this summer.

I'll have a spare copy of the Lee book shortly, I'll get it to you for Dustin as well.

rockrat
01-23-2012, 10:35 AM
Ben, if you need anything for the 308 for this young man, let me know. I have brass, bullets,boolits, maybe a mould, some gas checks, and a small lee pot I could send to him

Ben
01-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Rockrat,

I just sent Recluse a PM with items that they boy could use. A dipper and a small Lee pot ( probably the best for him would be the small Lee precision melter.....I think it is a 4 lb. model, ) are on the list. He will be starting from " scratch " so the ladle and small Lee pot would be a pretty good starting spot for him.

Thanks to all of you for your willingness to help this 14 yr. old get up on this feet with reloading and casting.

Best to all of you,

Ben

MT Gianni
01-23-2012, 10:55 AM
There is this old book floating around with a phrase in it about fishing. I think the bases were covered in the "teaching" part.

Ben, tell him to sing out if he needs more help. We'll be there. ;-)

Net fishermen?

cbrick
01-23-2012, 11:00 AM
Ben, an update as to what they may still need would be great about now. Got to keep'em loadin, shootin, huntin. :D

I have 18 molds in 30 caliber alone if bullets will help. I also have an extra copy Glen Fryxell's book "From Ingot To Target" printed and spiral bound that I could send.

Any other calibers which they have guns and need anything?

Let us know, thanks.

Rick

EDIT: Just read Ben's post (#30), that helps a bit, anything else?

Ben
01-23-2012, 11:29 AM
cbrick :

This is a portion of a PM that I sent Blammer a few nights ago. It pretty much sums up where the boy is right now :

Hello JD :

Thanks to everyone's help, Dustin is pretty much up on his feet with his reloading, he has come A LONG WAY in less than a year . He doesn't have 1 of everything yet like some of us do , but he has the basics and can reload 38 Spec. and 308 Win. right now without a problem. Doug has given him a 358156, 2 cav. Lyman mold that makes suitable bullets ( although the mold " fins " badly ) , another member offered him an old .30 cal. Lee mold for the 160 gr. spire pt. TL design. So, if he had a small elect. pot and a ladle and a small amount of alloy he could begin to do some casting.

His main problem , at present, is a need for a small casting pot any casting tools, Lee bullet sizing dies .358 dia. and .309 dia., etc.

I have .30 and .35 gas check making tools and plenty of .014 Ameri-Max, so I can supply him with all the g/c's he will need. He really needs a small Lee 4 lb. pot, a ladle, a few ingots, and a couple of bullet molds and he would be up and running. I'll make him a nice casting table and give him a nice chair to sit in while he is casting. He lives in a mobile home, so all casting would be done outside.

I know this list seems like a long list, but we are MANY here on the forum.

If everyone would look around on their casting bench, a lot of us have an old Lyman or RCBS ladle, an old mold that we aren't using , etc.

He is anxious to learn to cast, but with VERY LIMITED financial resources, it could be awhile before he can make any baby steps with his purchase of needed items, ......unless we step up.

It is clearly a hardship for a forum member to give 7 items, but most any of us could easily donate 1 item.

JD, ....I want to thank you again for your willingness to invest and get involved in the life of a young shooter. I can assure you that from my observations here with Dustin, it is reaping a very good dividend in the boy's life.

I want to thank ALL the members who have helped Dustin in any way during the past year ! !

Best to you,

Ben

Here is a recent photo of Dustin and his Dad :

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_4414e96fa65790df.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=2394)

rockrat
01-23-2012, 11:44 AM
Ben, my Lee pot is the bottom pour model. PM me his address and I will get it his way, along with a few other things.

Ben
01-23-2012, 11:49 AM
rockrat,

PM sent.

Ben

Recluse
01-23-2012, 12:30 PM
Sorry I'm late getting back to this. . .

Few questions for Ben, then an idea or two:

1. What does Dustin and his dad have right now in way of reloading equipment? We know, via your last PM to me that they're pretty much at ground zero as far as casting equipment, but do they have a reloading press, scales, wooden case-holder trays, hand primers, etc?

2. How are they set up for components--primers, brass, and powder?

Now, my thoughts are along the following:

We can pitch in and donate or purchase the casting equipment this young man and his dad will need, along with supplies. Another member here has already PM'd me volunteering to ship some lead (in ingot form) to Dustin, and another member has volunteered some projectiles.

I'm guessing that Dustin probably has a line on some boolit lube. . . [smilie=1: but not sure if he's going to pan lube, of which Ben is also a master at, or if a lubesizer would help, etc.

For those that would like to pitch in and help, maybe we set up a "list" of what we have or what we can send or donate so that we don't duplicate ourselves too much?

Regardless, I'm going to drop some more cash in the mail for primers or powder (plus a book of stamps :)) so they can continue to reload with what they have while casting equipment is rounded up.

theperfessor
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
Ben -

PM headed your way. To other members here: If anyone has any REBUILDABLE equipment they want to donate, I will try to fix it and forward it along. Anything that needs basic machine work I can repair. Don't want to do electrical repairs on burned out lead pots but I can easily fix up old lubers and presses.

I'm also going to comb through my loading room to see what kind of stuff I have stuck away when I get off work tonight. I need to do some Spring cleaning anyway and I bet I've got some duplicate .38 caliber molds that I can live without.

GLL
01-23-2012, 01:30 PM
Ben:

Does he need a press? I can provide an RCBS Jr. press (very good condition) , Lee .358 sizing die, and another LYMAN .38 mold.

I assume he already have handles for the 358156 ?

Drop me a shipping address and confirm that these items would still be useful.

Jerry

Ben
01-23-2012, 01:51 PM
Recluse :

Few questions for Ben, then an idea or two:

1. What does Dustin and his dad have right now in way of reloading equipment? We know, via your last PM to me that they're pretty much at ground zero as far as casting equipment, but do they have a reloading press, scales, wooden case-holder trays, hand primers, etc?

He has a old Lyman turret press, a good one. Loads his ammo just fine. He has the above items you've listed in # 1 -----------Yes, ground zero is a good summary statement of where they are with respect to casting equip.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/thum_4414f1da143cf6a0.jpg (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/vbimghost.php?do=displayimg&imgid=3571)

2. Components ?

They are a little thin on their components, I've given them a " starter package " of components to get them up on their feet. But, that obviously won't hold the boy for long.

JD, - - You've got a great idea here :

For those that would like to pitch in and help, maybe we set up a "list" of what we have or what we can send or donate so that we don't duplicate ourselves too much?

Ben
01-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Jerry,

Yes, he has some handles for his 2 cav. Lyman, 156' mold. The Lee 358 sizing die and a nice mold would be great.

I'll PM the boys address to you Jerry.

Thanks for your willingness to help the boy get started ,

Ben

GLL
01-23-2012, 02:09 PM
Good the see he has a good press ! I will add in few pounds of alloy as ballast !

Jerry

Recluse
01-23-2012, 02:12 PM
I also have Dustin's address. PM me for it.

OK, here's what I'm going to send out this week:

1. Cash for powder and primers (Ben, what kind of powder do you have them started with for the .308 and .38 Specials? I might just put in an order at Powder Valley and have it shipped to them.)

2. Additional .38 Special cases

3. Book of stamps

Off the top of my head, I'm thinking they could also use:

• Loading manual(s) like the Lyman and Lee

• tumbler and components

• basic tools like primer pocket cleaner, chamfer and debur tool, etc

• calipers and micrometer

• Gun cleaning components (Hoppes, brushes, rods, etc)

• Casting components like a furnace, sizer, molds for his .308 and .38/.357, etc.

• ingot molds/lead

Feel free to add to anything I've missed.

Ben
01-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Cash for powder and primers (Ben, what kind of powder do you have them started with for the .308 and .38 Specials? I might just put in an order at Powder Valley and have it shipped to them.)

JD

They have a 1/2 can of trail boss right now and that is about it. They could use some 2400 or Unique since they are loading for the 308 Win. and 38 Spec. Either powder would serve a dual purpose role for both cartridges. The boy probably isn't ready for " full bore " 308 Win. loads right now anyway. Loads in the 1,400 - 1,500 fps range are ideal for him right now for training purposes.

Looking at your list JD, a few ingots would be great for the boy, he doesn't have any casting alloy right now.

Jerry,

Good the see he has a good press ! I will add in few pounds of alloy as ballast !

Jerry

Many thanks Jerry,

Ben

Recluse
01-23-2012, 02:35 PM
They have a 1/2 can of trail boss right now and that is about it. They could use some 2400 or Unique since they are loading for the 308 Win. and 38 Spec. Either powder would serve a dual purpose role for both cartridges. The boy probably isn't ready for " full bore " 308 Win. loads right now anyway. Loads in the 1,400 - 1,500 fps range are ideal for him right now for training purposes.

Looking at your list JD, a few ingots would be great for the boy, he doesn't have any casting alloy right now.

Ben

OK, I'll pack up a box of brass, some Lyman #2 alloy ingots, stamps and cash and let you guide them as to which powder to buy since you're doing the reloading mentoring with them.

Wayne Smith
01-23-2012, 04:00 PM
How many loading blocks do they need? I can, in a couple weekends from now, make up a bunch. I have the wood, templates, and all the tools necessary. Made out of hardwood, bottom edges cut with a cove so they can be picked up, and a piece of router pad glued to the bottom so they don't move. Same way I make mine. See if they have any particular choice in wood stain, I'm partial to Red Chestnut, but that's me!

Right now I'm making play blocks for my new grandson. Granted, he won't use them for a few months, but I ain't waiting!

Ben
01-23-2012, 04:01 PM
That works JD.

I'll keep you posted.

Ben

Ben
01-23-2012, 04:02 PM
Wayne Smith;

A couple in Red Chesnut for the 308 WIn. case heads would be great. When they are ready I'll send you an address for the boy.

Many thanks,
Ben

Gunslinger1911
01-23-2012, 04:40 PM
This place has been VERY good to me - time to give back !!

I have LOTS 38 spl brass, some spare 308 brass and some range scrap that I added ~1% tin and antimony to (casts nice, have run to 1200 fps with no leading) that are looking for a good home.

I could see kicking in maybe $10 to a melting pot if others will take the challange LOL

Maybe a list that could be added to as things are thought of, and crossed off of as sent, could keep us being productive.

shooterg
01-23-2012, 06:20 PM
I want in on this ! Ben, PM me an addy, I'll send a little linotype your way. Wish I could find a young fellow with an interest here - guess I'll have to keep waiting on the grandson and great-nephew(in pic) to get older !

Ben
01-23-2012, 08:04 PM
To my knowledge, I've replied with a PM to all of you who have so graciously volunteered to help my 14 yr. old friend and asked questions or needed information.

Many thanks,

Ben

rockrat
01-23-2012, 08:40 PM
Ben, I will get the Lee bottom pour (10lb?) pot out, hopefully, tomorrow. Its filled with WW's. I am going to add a Lee 30 cal "soupcan" 2 cav. mould and a Lee 200gr mould. I could add a bottle of LLA if needed. Don't know if someone has sent a sizer or not. I could send a couple sticks of Lee alox lube instead, for pan lubing.

Recluse, I have a Lee ingot mould that I was planning on packing too.

Ben
01-23-2012, 09:20 PM
rockrat.

He needs a 309 " Lee sizer. Those items you've listed with be very helpful to him.
I can get him set up to pan lube and provide him lube. He just needs to be able to size to .309 or .310 with a Lee bullet sizer that he could put in his reloading press.

Thanks for all your help,

Ben

Alvarez Kelly
01-23-2012, 09:27 PM
Just to avoid duplication, I sent the lad a nice dial caliper today.

Ben
01-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Thanks you Alvarez.

Just got a donation of a ladle and a 4 lb. precision melter being sent to the boy also.

Thanks to all,

Ben

lesharris
01-24-2012, 12:24 AM
I received my letter of thanks from Dustin today.
It was a very nice touch to get a hand written note of thanks in todays modern electronic world.
It made my heart and mind feel good to know that Ben has taken Dustin under his wing.
It was a pleasure to see that young people are interested in things other than gangs,violance,and drugs.
I say this because I taught high school in New Jersey,for 32 years,in one of that states urban 30 school districts,where students would attend school with electronic monitoring braclets on.
Good job Ben.
Les.

Ben
01-24-2012, 10:21 AM
Les,

Many thanks to you for reaching out to a young man and helping him get up on his feet so that he can reload and shoot.

Thanks again for your kindness shown to my young friend,

Ben

scrapcan
01-24-2012, 11:37 AM
Damn fine folks here. Thank you all for doing what you do.

Keep us posted as to what else may be needed. When I have something that will be usable we will try to beat the others who also give freely.

Just so others know about 1985 I was the benefactor of a generous fellow who did much the same as Ben is doing for Dustin. That experience has allowed me to try to do the same when I can. I say that to let others know that your efforts will not be forgotten by the lad.

ErikO
01-24-2012, 11:54 AM
Few things feel as good as paying it forward. :)

rockrat
01-24-2012, 12:02 PM
Well, since he has a pot and ladle, I will hold off on the Lee pot, until another someone comes along that might need one.

I will send the moulds, lube and some alloy.

Ben
01-24-2012, 01:09 PM
That is fine rockrat, might be good if we allow his " care packages " to be delivered now. That will let me make a visit to his home in a few days and see where he is with respect to any needs that he may have. I've talked to him about what is going on , he is THRILLED beyond words. He just cannot believe that this many people would help a 14 yr. old kid.

Thanks again to all of you for your efforts.

Ben

scrapcan
01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
Ben,

Let us know when you get a list going of what he needs.

Ben
01-24-2012, 07:24 PM
Will do manletjt.

P.K.
01-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Net fishermen?

:bigsmyl2:

Shame......;-)

You know what book just as well as I, sir. (Trying, not well but to keep it where it is. ;-)

Ben
01-25-2012, 08:16 PM
" Care Package " arrived today from Illinois ZIP 62009 .

Many thanks !

Ben

sav300
01-26-2012, 07:54 AM
Ben, I have two 38 wad cutter molds sitting here and I do not need them.RCBS 38 button nose and a Lyman double end.Both double cavities. Can they be used?
Will check out the postage from this end.
Lionel

Ben
01-26-2012, 11:55 AM
sav300

PM headed to you.

Ben

bbs70
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
" Care Package " arrived today from Illinois ZIP 62009 .

Many thanks !

Ben

Good, Glad to hear it arrived and hope he gets good use out of it.:drinks:

Ben
01-26-2012, 01:03 PM
bbs70 :

You bet, he'll get some very good use out of it, no doubt about that.

The boy is thrilled. He will be getting his items this weekend.

Thanks again for all your help,

Ben

GLL
01-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Just so there is no duplication I sent:

1) a LYMAN 2-cavity 358477 mold + WW ingots

2) a LEE 0.358" sizer die

Jerry

Ben
01-27-2012, 06:42 PM
Jerry :

I like the idea of everyone posting the details of their " Care Package ".

By doing it in this manner it is less likely that duplicate's will occur.

Many Thanks,

Ben

Alchemist
01-28-2012, 11:10 PM
Jerry :

I like the idea of everyone posting the details of their " Care Package ".

By doing it in this manner it is less likely that duplicate's will occur.

Many Thanks,

Ben

Okay, here's what I managed to fit in a flat rate box:

Lee precision melter (4 lb dipping pot)
Lyman ladle
Lee "ladle" more like a skimming spoon
approximately 6 lbs WW alloy
2 sticks 50/50 lube
a Bullplate sample from an NOE mould
1 box each of 38 spl and 308 brass
Lyman 46th edition reloading manual
a few "orange peel" targets

A 2 cavity Ideal 311413 is also on the way to the perfessor to see if he can fix the finning problem I was having with it. If he can cure its ailment, it will also go to Dustin.

starreloader
01-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Ben,

Package to the way to you for the young man... 1000 "boolits" ( 200 each of 148 gr DEWC, 125 gr RF, 158 gr RF, 158 gr SWC & 158 gr RN ) and there is also 10 of the Berrys Blue Plastic Ammo Storage Boxes.

Ben
01-28-2012, 11:43 PM
A donor who wishes to remain anonymous has sent 495 .358 caliber 158 gr JHPs and a Lee two cavity .358-125RF mold.

Ben
01-28-2012, 11:44 PM
Again,............. words can't be found by a 14 yr. old to best describe the kindness shown
by all of you.

Ben

sav300
02-03-2012, 06:27 AM
Ben,molds packed and ready to go,will be posted Monday or Tuesday

Ben
02-03-2012, 10:10 PM
sav300 :

Thanks so much for your efforts to help my young friend. Today was his 15th birthday. He had a party and I was invited. You are all so very good to help.

Thanks,

Ben

milsurp mike
02-03-2012, 11:21 PM
I need His address also.Does he have a smelting pot?I have a new in the box Lyman mini mag that has been bought several times but never received the funds.I would be glad to send it to Him plus so lead and other goods.Is there a list of what he needs?Mike

Ben
02-04-2012, 12:04 AM
Mike,

PM returned to you.

Ben

Ben
02-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I've checked his " inventory ", he is pretty much good to go for " basic " casting and reloading for his 38 Spec. and .308 Win. rifle.

He does not have a lead ladle . He'll be using a ladle pour system. Anyone have a Lyman or RCBS ladle laying around that they would be willing to send the boy.

Thanks to all of you for your kindness show to the boy. This is a real indicator of who and what Castboolits is really all about.

Ben

Wayne Smith
02-05-2012, 01:46 PM
Two wooden cartridge holders went out yesterday, along with a lesson.

milsurp mike
02-05-2012, 01:53 PM
New Lyman Mini Mag will be shipped Monday.This will be a good home for it.I have Sold it several times and never received payment.Somebody knew where this pot belonged.Mike

exile
02-05-2012, 02:16 PM
To be able to encourage a young man like that when he needs it, in any good endevour, is priceless! Good for you Recluse, that made my day.

exile

Blammer
02-05-2012, 02:21 PM
How about some "action" shots, you know of him pouring lead, loading ammo, shooting the rifle and pistol etc.... :)

If of course his parents allow.

Alchemist
02-05-2012, 03:50 PM
I've checked his " inventory ", he is pretty much good to go for " basic " casting and reloading for his 38 Spec. and .308 Win. rifle.

He does not have a lead ladle . He'll be using a ladle pour system. Anyone have a Lyman or RCBS ladle laying around that they would be willing to send the boy.

Thanks to all of you for your kindness show to the boy. This is a real indicator of who and what Castboolits is really all about.

Ben

A Lyman ladle is on the way...should be there by now.

Sure hope it didn't vanish in the mail. :-(

41 mag fan
02-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Ben,
Pm being sent. I've got 10k of casts for the 357/38. I could easily let go of a thousand or better.
This is like Christmas where me and the better 1/2 help a couple of needy kids.
I've got a set of scales I could throw in if needed.
Plus if theres anything like nose punches needed, I'll put in an order with Keith to make some up and send them to them.

41 mag fan
02-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Well, they'll have 2 ladles...which is perfect!! I just ordered one from Midway and had it shipped to them.

Recluse
02-06-2012, 04:17 AM
Been grounded in weather in the northeast and just got back home this evening. Looked over what others had sent.

Outgoing mail to Dustin today has some cash in it for powder and primers, plus a full book of postage stamps.

Ben, let me/us know when he gets a few powders that seem to work for him as well as primers. Right now, as I explained in my letter to him, the hazmat fee for just a pound of powder and brick of primers would negate any savings from Powder Valley or Grafs.

Once he gets some powders and primer combinations he likes, then maybe we can get a bit larger order sent directly to him that will make the hazmat fee more palatable.

theperfessor
02-06-2012, 11:02 AM
Last I read here the young man was planning to pan lube. If he gets a lubersizer of ANY brand then 41 Mag Fan and I will make sure he gets an adequate supply of nose punches and a die retention nut driver. Unfortunately I don't make sizing dies but I'm sure that can be taken care of also.

41 Mag Fan is a good man with a fine lady as a wife who makes Christmas better for a couple of kids. Doesn't surprise me that he wants to help here also. I'm glad we met through this site. Well make sure Hoosierland keeps a dog in this fight.

41 mag fan
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Amen to that Keith!!
Thank You for the kind words, but definitley don't leave you and your wife out on them words also.
I feel compelled, but he just got a lubesizer. It's an RCBS, I bought used last yr off of evilbay.
I'll put it in with the casts I'm sending him.
I want a Star anyways, I've got 1 RCBS already, and this one is just sitting on the shelf collecting dust.
Hopefully Ben will help them out on it and get it set up for them.

Now for them nose punches......

Keith make him up a couple of nose punches and give me 2 weeks till my next check, and I'll send you the money. Still catching up from being off from my knee surgery.

theperfessor
02-06-2012, 11:46 AM
Shane, I'll send him an RCBS die wrench and a couple of nose punches in .308 and .358. You can pay for a couple of nose punches and if you want to kick in on the small flat rate shipping I'll send it all from here in one package. Sending him a LAM is a real nice gesture on your part. We can square up down the road; get that knee of yours back in shape. I may have a new product I will need to have Beta tested anyway so we will keep in touch.

41 mag fan
02-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Keith,
Make up a couple in 38spl. if you would please. They have a 38 and I'm sending him around 1k of casts. Let me know the total cost, and I'll be more than happy to pay for it all.
Knees doing good, now all the bills I'm catching up on .
It'll be a week from this coming Wed, I get paid again. I'll send you out a check, for all costs.
Heck, I still owe you and your wife a dinner. Haven't forgot about it!!

41 mag fan
02-06-2012, 09:28 PM
Just sent off a pkg to Dustin.
In it I packed up a used RCBS LAM, 38sp casts and a sandwhich baggie of brass for the 38.
Plus I ordered a lyman ladle from Midway and am having it shipped down as of yesterday evening.
Hopefully someones got an extra sizer die for the 38 he can have. I've got casts and brass for this caliber but no sizer or molds. Not a caliber I play with much.

Last early spring/late winter, I bought 2 RCBS LAMS off Ebay back to back. One was used the other listed as used but it was new. The used one I put on the shelf. Never could figure out why I bought 2 LAMS till today........the good Lord works in mysterious ways as Ben msg'd to me......

Ben
02-06-2012, 11:07 PM
Fellows......you just blow me away ! !

This is wonderful....and Recluse, thank you so much for that generous care package that you just sent the boy.

He told me at his birthday party ( #15 ) last Fri. night...." Gee, these people don't even know me and they are so good to me, it is hard to believe...."

If we can turn up a .358 " Sizing die and / or a .310 " to fit his RCBS LAM that 41 mag fan was nice enough to ship today , I think he'll be pretty much up and running. He has a Lee push thru cast bullet sizing die in 358 ", but with that he is obviously confined to pan lubing or LLA.

Anyone with a spare laying around on your bench ?

Ben

obssd1958
02-06-2012, 11:44 PM
Ben,
I have an extra RCBS .358 sizing die.
Please reply back to me with an address to send it to.
I'll include a stick or 2 of lube for the LAM.

Don

Ben
02-07-2012, 07:29 AM
Ben,
I have an extra RCBS .358 sizing die.
Please reply back to me with an address to send it to.
I'll include a stick or 2 of lube for the LAM.

Don

PM sent to you Don, Many thanks for your kindness,

Ben

sav300
02-07-2012, 07:59 AM
Ben,molds posted Monday. Hope you and Dustin see them soon.

sav300
02-07-2012, 08:03 AM
Ben the molds are Lyman and have no handles,sorry about that.
Am sure someone will belly up to the bar with handles.

Ben
02-07-2012, 08:11 AM
sav300 :

You Sir, have surely gone the extra mile. Your kindness is appreciated and not forgotten.

Thanks again,

Ben

Valley Forge
02-08-2012, 03:25 AM
I can send some Lyman handles! What's needed?

sav300
02-08-2012, 07:18 AM
Vally Forge.There is three Lyman double cavity molds,He may need one or two handles to start with.I think. Ben can work out the needs when they arrive.
Lionel

Ben
02-08-2012, 09:44 AM
Valley Forge

He could use a pair of double cav. Lyman handles.
Thanks for your willingness to help.

Ben

Valley Forge
02-08-2012, 02:47 PM
I'll pull a pair of double cav handles and put 'em in a box tonight. I've also got an extra micrometer I can send along.

Ben
02-08-2012, 11:48 PM
The boy will be thrilled.

Ben

Valley Forge
02-09-2012, 04:39 PM
OK, the box is on it's way along with a couple of sticks of Orange Magic Lube, 5lbs. of "vintage" 1980's wheelweight ingots, and 5lbs. of lead.

Recluse
02-09-2012, 10:12 PM
The boy will be thrilled.

Ben

The boy will be thrilled? Hell, I'M thrilled.

It does my cynical, bitter and often burned-out heart and psyche indescribable good to read and see how so many of us have pitched in to help this young man.

Dustin is the epitome of the our future voice in the arena of God, Country and Guns and it is good that he is seeing what the gun-owners community is truly about at our core.

We take care of our own.

Couple of thoughts came to me the past few days:

1. Is Dustin an NRA member?

2. Does he have a subscription to Handloader?

Ben
02-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Recluse :

Isn't it interesting that the " anti gunners " paint us as a bunch of sleazy folks in long black coats slipping around in the shadows looking for another crime to commit.

Based on that I'm seeing here from our fellow members, just doesn't seem that is a very accurate description of who we are and what we are.

You have to be a pretty good person ( inside ) to help a kid in another state that you've never met and probably won't ever meet.

1. Is Dustin an NRA member? NO

2. Does he have a subscription to Handloader? NO

Thanks again for all the help fellows,

Ben

Geraldo
02-11-2012, 09:30 PM
Recluse :

Isn't it interesting that the " anti gunners " paint us as a bunch of sleazy folks in long black coats slipping around in the shadows looking for another crime to commit.

Based on that I'm seeing here from our fellow members, just doesn't seem that is a very accurate description of who we are and what we are.

You have to be a pretty good person ( inside ) to help a kid in another state that you've never met and probably won't ever meet.

1. Is Dustin an NRA member? NO

2. Does he have a subscription to Handloader? NO

Thanks again for all the help fellows,

Ben

I'll get him a gift subscription to Handloader. Tell him it's a late birthday present.

Ben
02-11-2012, 10:16 PM
Geraldo :

That is a VERY kind offer on your behalf, I think Recluse is considering something like this also.
You may want to PM him to avoid any duplication of efforts.

Many thanks,

Ben

theperfessor
02-12-2012, 11:29 PM
Ben -

One of our members (Alchemist) sent me an Ideal 311413 double cavity mold to fix up and send along to Dustin. The mold wouldn't close all the way and the sprue plate holes were off center. I deburred around the female pin holes where some material had gotten raised up and made a new sprue plate. I'll probably post a few photos in a separate thread later.

Another member, 41 Mag Fan, wanted to send Dustin some of my nose punches and a nut driver wrench to go with the RCBS luber he had already donated. His financial contribution toward this is noted and appreciated.

So tomorrow morning I'm going to the post office with a package that contains:

5 .30 caliber cup nosed punches
1 .30 caliber flat nose punch
5 .38/.357/9mm cup nosed punches
1 .38/.357/9mm flat nosed punch
1 15/16" die retention nut driver
1 package JB Kwik
1 Lyman mold

A big thanks to Alchemist and 41 Mag Fan for their contributions.

Ben
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
Keith,

WOW, this is wonderful.

Looks like the boy is set to go now. I'm building him a casting table this Friday.
We are getting very close to being able to begin pouring him some bullets ,....thanks
to all of you ! ! !

You've all been very kind to Dustin.

Many thanks,
Ben

Recluse
02-13-2012, 01:45 PM
Keith,

WOW, this is wonderful.

Looks like the boy is set to go now. I'm building him a casting table this Friday.
We are getting very close to being able to begin pouring him some bullets ,....thanks
to all of you ! ! !

You've all been very kind to Dustin.

Many thanks,
Ben

Geraldo and I have been trading PMs. He's going to get Dustin set up with a subscription to Handloader. My wife and I will get him set up with a membership in the NRA.

theperfessor
02-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Mailed package about 10 am local time.

Recluse, good for you and Geraldo. I can't think of a finer long term gift than regular doses of information and knowledge.

Ben, I'm counting on you to help Dustin set up his first nose punches. I just looked on my desk and realized I forgot to include the instruction sheet, it's laying right where I put it when it came off the printer. (noise of palm slapping forehead). I'll email you a copy if you have any questions.

Jailer
02-13-2012, 09:08 PM
If it's OK with his dad, make sure to post some pics once you get him up and running. It would be nice to see him in action with all his new stuff making his firsts boolits.

Ben
02-13-2012, 09:15 PM
Good idea Jailer,

I'm a step ahead of you....I'd already planned to do that.
I'll post them here as soon as possible.

Thanks again to all of you who have been so helpful to Dustin.

Keith,

Ben, I'm counting on you to help Dustin set up his first nose punches.

No need for instructions, thanks anyway.

I do all my nose punches with JB Weld, nothing new to me.

Thanks for all your help Keith ,

Ben

41 mag fan
02-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Ben,
Ladle shipped out about 20 min ago. Forgot to correct the address, and was on my way to work. But I got it corrected, from my first mistake of mailing it here from Midway.