PDA

View Full Version : can anyone chanber a barrel blank for a 7.62x54R?

Link23
01-21-2012, 12:27 AM
if i get a barrel blank can anyone here chamber it for 54R? im wanting to make a heavy barreled mosin nagant on the cheaper side..

Thanks
Link23

MBTcustom
01-26-2012, 07:44 AM
Almost anybody with a lathe could thread and chamber a barrel blank for you, but fitting it to the action would be the hard part. There are about three different surfaces (chamber depth, bolt to barrel, and barrel to action) that must each be custom fit to the others. It can be a tedious process especially if the guy doesn't have a lot of experience.
See, you can't just cut it right to the place you want, you have to screw the action onto the barrel and check it for fit about a dozen times, making changes to the shoulder, heel and chamber depth (headspace) each time. But, you have to leave everything just a hair loose because when you are done, you're going to take that barrel out of the lathe, put it in the barrel vice, and screw the action on with about 75-100 Ft-lb of force. If you left the right amount of clearance, then when the threads and shoulder crush together you have the actual headspace you were going for. If you miss it, then you have to spend another hour getting the barrel lined back up in the lathe.
All of this, and the guy is wondering the whole time if you might sue him if you stack some hot loads and blow yourself up once he is done putting it together for you. That's why gunsmiths have the good insurance! Rebarreling a rifle just gets you too wrapped around the most important part of the rifle, and if something did happen, and the guy did decide to sue, you just dont have much of a leg to stand on I would think.

sbowers
01-28-2012, 06:01 PM
This is not all good information I have been rebarreling and building rifles for many years now it is not a hard job for any competent gunsmith. It does not take all that long to cut the shank and thread it and fit to the action and all this bunk about needing all that torque on the barrel to the action is just a bunch of hooie. Head spacing is done on the lathe and then the final check is done when the barrel is installed and you do not have to take the barrel back off unless there has been a very very bad mistake made somewhere back in the process. The above info sounds like someone that does not have a lot of experience in the buisness of rebarreling rifles.
Steve

MBTcustom
01-29-2012, 06:53 AM
I do not have much experience, I have only done two so far, but if you can thread and chamber a barrel for a rifle sight unseen, then hats off to you. Never claimed to be an expert but what I have found is that If you cut it to close on the lathe then when you torque the action to the barrel, you change the headspace slightly.
Also, It doesn't take a "competent Gunsmith" to single point a few threads and ream a hole either.
Sorry if I offended you by offering my meager experience as a help. I said 75-100 ft/Lb because I have only rebarreled military rifles and thats the torque that they have on them.
I would love to know how you check headspace without screwing the action onto the barrel several times while it is in the lathe and checking it with the Go gauge. I suppose you could use an extension for the reamer, but I have not seen that used before.
I cant afford to take a gun to a smith to have a barrel installed. I am a machinist by trade and I have a lathe right out in the shop so I am learning how to do this myself. Because otherwise it will never get done.
It ticks me off that Gunsmiths are the most unwilling folks to help people with information. I have had many stones thrown at me by local gunsmiths who are trying to protect their livelihood by propagating phobias about gunsmithing, throwing rocks at home gunsmiths, and refusing to offer helpful advice. Thanks for holding off on the phobia propaganda, but geeze, do you have to insult the knowledge that I have had to glean without the help of "the informed elite"? (I'm still here ya know!)
I am here to learn and to help others learn. I can take some constructive criticism but say something helpful would ya? You have a golden opportunity to set me strait on proper re-barreling procedures and I will listen. How about it?

sbowers
01-29-2012, 04:45 PM
Goodsteel I will help you in any way that you need feel free to ask me any question you have, because the only dumb question is teh one that you did not ask. Now as far as steeing the head space with out screwing the barel into the action it can be done and if youi wish to call me I willbe glad to explain it over the phone becuase it is a little to long to type it all out but easily explained in person. Pm ME.
Steve

sbowers
01-29-2012, 05:43 PM
http://s610.photobucket.com/albums/tt183/sbowers5/

MBTcustom
01-29-2012, 06:21 PM
I called Sbowers and he is a heck of a guy! We talked for 45 minutes and he answered a whole lot of my questions. The confusion was understandable.
Sorry I jumped your bones Steve. I have a lot to learn yet. Thanks for taking the time!
He explained to me the foolishness of torquing the snot out of a barrel that is being installed on a rifle. It seems that hand tight is plenty on a RH twist barrel. I was misinformed by military armorers. The barrels I have pulled off military rifles have been very tight. I just thought that they needed to be that way. Sorry for misinforming.

Milsurp Junkie
01-29-2012, 06:47 PM
That is why I love this site! Does anyone here have a 7.62x54r reamer? That would be the first thing to start with (besides barrel and action).

tswheel
10-24-2012, 01:31 AM
ever find a reamer?

tswheel
10-24-2012, 01:36 AM
guess i will just buy my own and resell it when I am through.................

r6487
10-25-2012, 10:03 PM
link23---i have a uk59 barrel that i was lucky to find recently--i have been studying everything it takes to install one of these in a mosin nagnt receiver(these are already modded to mosin threads and already chambered 54r--chrome lined 24" and are indeed heavy barrels)--be aware these guns are threaded on an old british standard and the threads are at 55 degree (british whitworth form) not 60 degree (USA)as most modern stuff is today--everything I have been able to read indicates about 600 ft-lbs to break loose with the receiver heated up by torch. most are using 4-6ft cheater bar. seeing how they have been undisturbed for 70-80 years i am believing what i am hearing. have a go gauge and about to get an action wrench. i might call up goodsteel and ask if i can visit his shop since i am 1 hour away in searcy, ar.--might have to enlist his help and expertise.

sbowers
11-01-2012, 02:09 AM
tswheel I have the reamer youneeding if you still need it pm me.
Steve

Wayne Smith
11-01-2012, 10:27 AM
CH4D RENTS reamers. Whole lot cheaper than buying. In fact, I was looking for a reamer for the .25 Krag AI and Clymer makes one. They sent me to CH4D.

IridiumRed
11-07-2012, 04:09 PM
link23---i have a uk59 barrel that i was lucky to find recently--i have been studying everything it takes to install one of these in a mosin nagnt receiver(these are already modded to mosin threads and already chambered 54r--chrome lined 24" and are indeed heavy barrels)--be aware these guns are threaded on an old british standard and the threads are at 55 degree (british whitworth form) not 60 degree (USA)as most modern stuff is today--everything I have been able to read indicates about 600 ft-lbs to break loose with the receiver heated up by torch. most are using 4-6ft cheater bar. seeing how they have been undisturbed for 70-80 years i am believing what i am hearing. have a go gauge and about to get an action wrench. i might call up goodsteel and ask if i can visit his shop since i am 1 hour away in searcy, ar.--might have to enlist his help and expertise.

About the UK59 barrels, they always sounded interesting to me - brand new 54R barrel, with chrome lining (great for long live and resistance to corrosive ammo), and a nice heavy weight that can be turned down to whatever contour you want

However, I've heard that some have had issues with the timing of the extractor cut in the back of the barrel for the Mosin conversion. I'm not sure if the company selling them cut the extractor relief haphazardly (with varying timing relative to the barrel threads, or if Mosin's themselves tend to have a lot of variation in barrel timing/relief cut.

I THINK the latter is the case. I'm just guessing here, but I wonder if the original mosin barrels were installed and THEN had the relief cut (if thats possible). I know that for a long time these things were cranked out by the millions as quickly as possible, so i'm sure they used any method possible to speed production

Anyways!! not trying to scare you, just passing along something i heard. hope your project turns out well, i had thought of doing the same myself :)

pacomdiver
02-17-2013, 11:59 AM
pm me if you want to talk about the uk59 barrels, ive built 2 of the monster mosins with them. one of mine timed spot on, the second i had to extend the extractor cut 1/4" to get it to headspace properly.

dont heat the receiver you might remove temper, make a relief cut just in front of the receiver ring on the barrel shank with a cutoff wheel, then spin the barrel off

also the uk59 barrels are chrome lined, so you gotta have a carbide reamer to do it