PDA

View Full Version : New to casting. I got some questions

flipajig
01-20-2012, 01:30 AM
I've been lurking around for awhile and I shoot cast in several of my toys that go boom. I've been wanting to start casting my own looked around for a mentor to help me get started I also ordered a Lee six cavity mold for my 9mm along with a 356 sizeing die with some Lee liquid Alox for my lube.
Here is one of my many questions the mold that I bought has a single canalure
Will the Lee Alox work with this Boolit or do I need to go with a harder lube.
Another thought is will the JPW , Alox and mineral sperits work.
So far I enjoy casting so I think I'm hooked and I've found another Hoby for a Hoby junky.
Thanks
Flip

Bret4207
01-20-2012, 07:23 AM
Yes, any of the tumble lube type lubes can be used of "standard" type boolit designs. Whether it will turn out to work good in your particular gun with your articular load/design/alloy/FIT, FIT, FIT depends on all those things. Only way to know is to shoot and see.

Lizard333
01-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Where are you from?? There might be someone that lives close to you that you can learn from.

When I started I had reloading experience but nothing with casting. Not saying that going all in and just learning isn't a good way to learn but if I could of learned the basics it would have helped. I asked a LOT of questions here and read a LOT. Good luck!!

MBTcustom
01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Yeah thats why its a real good idea to put your state of residence in your profile, so you can connect with more experienced casters. For instance, if you are in central Arkansas we should talk.
Now about your boolits. You might need a bigger sizer than .356 for 9MM. you always want to run your boolits a couple thousandths larger than your groove diameter (at least .001). PM me if you need help modifying that one.
You should use that bottle of LLA to make up a batch of 45/45/10 lube. Just pay attention to the posted destructions carefully.
You dont need the tumble lube grooves to run LLA or 45/45/10. It works just as well with regular boolits if you are sizing them correctly.
Once you figure out what size your boolits need to be, look into getting a Lyman M die to go with your set, It makes a huge difference in accuracy and you can be sure that your boolits are not getting swaged down in size by the brass itself.
Have patience with 9MM, it can be a little tricky to get it just right.