PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Familiar with W. A. Crowther Barrels?

PrimitiveBeasty
01-19-2012, 09:05 PM
So the local gun store had a good deal on a consignment gun - a .270 that had been built on some mauser action. It is a nice gun, and I have it on layaway.

Anyway, the barrel (which is nicely blued), is stamped .270 wcf on one side, and W. A. Crowther on the other. I have not heard this name, and a google search yielded nothing. So any of you fellows know anything about the barrels by this maker?

felix
01-19-2012, 09:10 PM
Make sure it is chambered correctly as per label. ... felix

Wayne Smith
01-19-2012, 10:14 PM
Not necessarily the barrel maker. Could be the gunsmith or the guy it for whom it was made.

PrimitiveBeasty
01-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Felix: Thanks for the thought, I will be sure to have it checked. The gun is so well put together that it hadn't occurred to me it might not be chambered as indicated by the stamp, but I guess you never know...

Wayne: I hadn't thought that the name might not be of the barrel maker...
One of the google hits was relevant, but not useful; it was a thread titled "WA Crowther Target Barrel?" I looked back on it because I thought it might have some information that could shed some light on this issue. In his post (which had no replies, unfortunately), this guy states "I recently found a Parker Hale Enfield for sale with a WA Crowther target barrel on it." Given that his location is Kentucky, and my gun is in Colorado, it seems more likely to me that the name is from a barrel maker, not a gunsmith or the man the gun was made for. But who knows?
Perhaps somebody else who finds this thread will be able to enlighten us.

PrimitiveBeasty
02-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Well, it was worth a shot.