PDA

View Full Version : Remington 721

fatelk
01-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Any thoughts on the Remington 721? I just passed one up for $200.

The stock looked ugly, had a hack job of a recoil pad on it, but the bore looked pristine. I know a model 700 stock will fit on it, but don't know if it would be worth bothering with. It seems like any good, solid old 30-06 should be worth $200 though. If I had any need for another 30-06 I might have bought it.

Artful
01-19-2012, 12:49 AM
My Uncle had .270 in 721 that he loaned me - spoiled me for my surplus Mauser 7x57 - It was a great shooter with nice trigger. I'd probably bought to rehab and sell to someone that needed a good rifle inexpensively when starting out. (son, nephew, neighbor kid)

Cornfused
01-19-2012, 03:32 AM
I restocked a 722, short action version of 721. 700 stocks are not quite 'drop in', maybe not worth the extra trouble, considering the cheap stamped trigger guard.

Bret4207
01-19-2012, 08:40 AM
I can guarantee you will never, ever find another one for $200.00 or under for the rest of your life! I woulda bought it if I'd had the $$$. It seems every single time I pass one up I end up regretting it forever.

I like the 721/22 better than the 700, but that's just me.

akajun
01-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Worse case scenario, you pick it up and sell the action to a competetion shooter for $250. They are basically the same as a 700.

midnight
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
I shot my first deer wirh a 721 in 300 H&H. A friend lent it to me cuz I didn't have a rifle. Many, many years later I bought it from him. Actually I traded him for it. I just felt I had to own that gun. A 300 H&H is more gun than I need for anything I hunt but I wouldn't part with it.

Bob

skeettx
01-19-2012, 11:43 AM
He he he
The Rem 721 in 30-06 is my meat gun!!
Get it, do not change it, shoot it, love it

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/deer210.jpg

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/MVC-012S6.JPG
Mike

Larry Gibson
01-19-2012, 12:31 PM
$200.....and you passed it up? Major sad face:-(:-(:-(:-(

Larry Gibson

MattOrgan
01-19-2012, 02:41 PM
The worst thing you can say about the 721/722 Remingtons is the ugly bolt handle. Otherwise they are outstanding rifles. They will fit a model 700 stock; pretty much a drop in opporation, except for opening the stock up for the rear sight knot. If you must; replace the floorplate/trigger guard with Model 700 unit.

These actions are beautifully engineered and built. You won't find them as nice in any 700 , especially one that has a serial number with a prefix after 'C'.

I have a 722 in .222 Remington that shoots .5 inch groups all day. My 721 is a .300 H&H that is capable of an inch or so every time. This is with the factory stock and no re-bedding etc.

Next time you find a $200 722 or 721, let me know!

Hardcast416taylor
01-19-2012, 04:25 PM
I picked up a 722 in .300 Sav. back in the late `50`s for a deer rifle. I put a new Weaver 3x scope on it and am still using it that way. It has a love of 150 gr. "J" bullets, even FMJ miltary bullets! The same weight holds fairly true with cast, the Lyman #311466 seems be its favorite. I`m afraid I would have hurt the sellers hand by slapping $200 into it!Robert

Kraschenbirn
01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
Many, many moons ago, before I gained the wisdom to know better, I sold a 722 in .257 Roberts to a hunting partner because, for some wild-hair reason, I'd decided I just had to possess this heavy-barreled .22-250 that had caught my eye at Messing & Becker Sports. Well, that .22-250 lasted 'bout one season as my #1 coyote thumper...too darned heavy to lug up the hills and through the hollows...but, after nearly 40 years, my buddy still has that same .257 and I mentally kick myself every time I see it sitting in the rear rack of his safe.

Bill

fourarmed
01-19-2012, 06:15 PM
721s are fine rifles. I have restocked them in synthetic stocks meant for both 700 ADL and BDL, and I definitely prefer to use the BDL stocks. You can adapt the 721 trigger guard very easily, whereas you have to buy a 700 ADL trigger guard if you go that way. They are lighter in the BDL stock, other things being equal, and neither one requires much modification. They are only slightly heavier than a typical 700 - mostly due to the longer barrel and the rear sight knot. The only negative I can think of is the extractor: they are hard or impossible to find if you need one, same as some of the earlier 700 extractors. In a pinch, the Sako type extractor can be installed in any of them.

izzyjoe
01-19-2012, 08:05 PM
Man if you can find any center fire, that's not a milsurp for $200, grab it up if you have the cash. i have'nt seen, or heard of a deal like that in years! i've seen some real fine rifles built on the 721 action. can't go wrong there.

Char-Gar
01-19-2012, 08:09 PM
I continue to be amazed by the number of younger shooters who do not recognize great vintage American rifles when they see one.

dk17hmr
01-19-2012, 09:04 PM
$200.....gulp

I would have scooped that up. I had a 722 for awhile and loved it, got offered a good trade for it so I took I took it. Its really the only rifle I have gotten rid of that I miss.

richhodg66
01-19-2012, 11:21 PM
I just gave a .300 Savage 722 to my brother I had worked with for about a year. They are good rifles, in fact, I liked it better tan the modern Remingtons I've worked iwth. A good .30-06 is worth $200.

fatelk
01-20-2012, 01:34 AM
I continue to be amazed by the number of younger shooters who do not recognize great vintage American rifles when they see one.
Thank you for the compliment!:) I've been feeling old lately.

I stopped back by that shop, and of course it's gone. Somebody else got a good deal. The only thing I could see wrong with it was that someone had butchered the stock; barrel channel hogged out, excessively sanded, etc.

I helped a friend with some work on his 722 years ago. He had let the barrel rust out, and I worked for a gunsmith at the time. We put a take-off model 700 barrel, stock, and trigger on it. It seems the trigger took minor fitting. It turned out real nice.

I would have bought the 721 because I could see beyond the stock, but I already have a number of nice hunting rifles that I haven't used in years, and I really need to be on a gun-free budget lately. I've passed up several good deals lately, not because I don't have the money, but because you have to stop somewhere, and I have too many projects already. My wife is incredibly patient and understanding, but I don't want to push my luck with that too much.

fatelk
01-21-2012, 08:06 PM
Well, you all shamed me into it. I'm usually not susceptible to peer pressure, but I gave in.:)

I went to the gun show this morning, and the shop that had the gun was there, as was the 721! I assumed since it wasn't on the rack the other day that it was sold. I even got it for a little less (195 with background check fee). I'll see if I can do something with the stock.

There were several good deals there this morning. A nice old Ithaca 37 for $150 and a steel-frame '51 Colt Uberti C&B for $115. I should have bought the Colt; I have a brass framed one but rarely shoot it because I don't want to wear it out. I saw a number of solid old $125 pump shotguns and $75 .22 rifles. Kind of like the good old days- if you like old guns to tinker with.

dualsport
01-21-2012, 11:49 PM
What's the story on the safeties on the 721s? Any reason to be concerned? A buddy of mine wanted help picking his first deer rifle, we found a 721 30-06 for $225 with an old Bushnell 3x9 on it Has the crazy metal buttplate. He put it on layaway. I checked it, the bolt will open while on safe. Does this mean it's been retrofitted? Thanks. By the way, the thing is smooth as silk. He's all pumped up to go hog hunting. Marine back from Afgh. wanting some more trigger time.

fatelk
01-22-2012, 01:29 AM
The bolt will open with the safety on, on this one too. I assume they were made this way, but can't say for sure. I can't see any sign that it's been messed with.

richhodg66
01-22-2012, 10:48 AM
My son's model 7 will open with the safety one as well. It's a feature I don't like, but that's the way Remington makes them it seems.

You're gonna like that old 721, I think. Good rifles and were truly innovative in their time.

Cornfused
01-22-2012, 12:52 PM
That's the way they were made.

Potsy
01-24-2012, 07:43 PM
When I was about 18 I went hunting with a couple of neighbors one afternoon after we got done taking down tobacco. Mr. Frank, who was about 60-65 at the time (60 doesn't seem so old any more, that was about '91-'92) had a 721 and a Weaver scope on it. .30-06. The gun and the scope and even the stock were all worn just about the same color gray. I knew what it was, and even though I though stainless and plastic was new and cool, I'll never forget looking at that old rifle. I've been afflicted by "old man guns" ever since then.

We had another neighbor (per another thread) with a Winchester 54 .30-06 with a peep on it that stayed in a rack in his living room. His skill with it was locally legendary. I used to drool over it when I was a teenager.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble, no real useful information here. Just reminiscing.

starmac
01-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Old man guns?????? C'mon now.

35Whelen
01-24-2012, 09:03 PM
I loved the 721 I had in .270 win. It was an absolute tack driver with 150 grn bullets. As for opening the action with the safety on...I think that is a great feature. You can safely unload the rifle never ever having it on the fire position. Great system. How else would you unload it without a hinged floorplate....with the safety off, no thanks.

Glad you went back and got it. THey don't make em like that anymore. Good scoop

DLCTEX
01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
I have a 722 in 222 that I bought for $200 a few years ago. It's not for sale! I was doing some wiring for a rancher a couple years ago and had the rifle in my truck. He asked me to shoot some of his prairie dogs and I was happy to oblige. He was so impressed with the accuracy of the rifle that he was a little offended that I turned down his generous offer for the rifle.

fatelk
01-25-2012, 04:14 PM
had a 721 and a Weaver scope on it.
I have an old steel Weaver scope just laying around, just realized what I need to do with it.

Sorry, didn't mean to ramble, no real useful information here. Just reminiscing.
No worries. I think most of us here like old stories. Reminisce away.

376Steyr
01-25-2012, 07:49 PM
I recommend pulling the action from the stock and soaking the trigger assembly with solvent until all the old solidified oil is flushed out, followed by getting all the copper out of the bore with something like Sweet's 7.62 potion. I did that to a 722 in .300 Savage and it now shoots like a varmint rifle.

farmer66
01-29-2012, 10:34 AM
I have a 721 in .270 caliber with a K6 Weaver scope that shoots 130 grain less than 1 MOA. It was bought new by my father just after he came back from WW2, so has lots of sentimental value.

I have followed the problem with the trigger design. You have to remove the safety to open the bolt. There were situations where the rifle would fire when you opened the bolt after releasing the safety. At least one death occurred, and Remington offered a recall. People suggest the recalled trigger was not as smooth as the original, so I did not change mine, I just caution anyone who may be shooting it. The design continued on into the early 700's if I remember correctly. This info is easily available on the internet.

Ken

Moondawg
01-29-2012, 11:23 AM
I had a 722 in 300 Savage for many years, a very nice rifle and shooter, if a little plain looking. I sold it about 4 years ago, for well over $300 and the buyer was happy to get it. The trigger on the 721-722 allegedly have a safety problem. It is rarely possible with a worn trigger for the gun to go off when emptying the magazine by working the bolt. Simple solution, don't cycle rounds through the magazine with the gun pointed at your best friend or family member. Supposedly Remington will still refit the trigger on 721-722 for free if you send it in. A 721/722 with a decent action and barrel is a steal at $200.

flounderman
01-29-2012, 01:47 PM
if you have a problem with a 721-722 trigger, it is because the trigger was adjusted incorrectly. it doesn't hurt to glue the adjustment screws when making adjustments. as I remember, the safety had a projection on the safety lever that when you pulled the safety back to put it on safe, it raised up into a recess on the bolt. I would have to look to be sure. the safety wouldn't engage if the bolt wasn't closed. by removing some metal from the projection the bolt would work while on safe. if the trigger is adjusted right, there isn't a problem. I want to be able to slam the bolt closed without the gun fireing, on an empty chamber.

TNsailorman
01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
The last time I checked with Remington, they were still reto-fitting the old safety Model 721's. I like 721's better than the Model 700 that replaced it, especially the early ones with 20" and 22" barrels. I want a 24' barrel in a 30-06 because I normally use slower burning powder in my 30-06's(bolt rifles that is). I also like the old Model 30's, great rifles and smooth as silk. My grandson has my Model 30 in 06 and it still will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards as long as you feed it a good bullet with IMR 4350 powder. I guess I'm showing my age here, but I am an old man who like old rifles. James

canyon-ghost
01-29-2012, 08:28 PM
Fatelk, gonna do pictures? Be interesting to watch this project.

frnkeore
01-30-2012, 02:43 AM
The last time I checked with Remington, they were still reto-fitting the old safety Model 721's. I like 721's better than the Model 700 that replaced it, especially the early ones with 20" and 22" barrels. I want a 24' barrel in a 30-06 because I normally use slower burning powder in my 30-06's(bolt rifles that is). I also like the old Model 30's, great rifles and smooth as silk. My grandson has my Model 30 in 06 and it still will shoot 1" groups at 100 yards as long as you feed it a good bullet with IMR 4350 powder. I guess I'm showing my age here, but I am an old man who like old rifles. James

Same here, I have two 270's, one '06, one 722, 300 Savage and a model 30 in 30 Rem. I wouldn't trade any but one of the 270's for something like a 722 in 244 or 257. I also like the longer barrels.

Old guns for old guys :)

Frank

MOshooter
01-30-2012, 11:09 AM
Nice buy on the Rem 721!
My Dad has a Rem 721 in a 280 Rem he bought new back in the late 50's early 60's? and still has the Bushnell 3-9 Chief Scope that he originally put on the rifle,I've seen so many whitetail taken with that rifle.

The accuracy is still eye opening!
Few years back I worked up some loads for him we went to the range for testing and dialing in the scope with the new rounds loaded,my wifes' uncle was at the spotting scope calling shots.
Dad squeezed off the first of three rounds,the very first shot hit bullseye!
The next 2 shots the spotter called miss?? not even on paper??
We walked down to the target to see what was going on??? All 3 rounds hit the same hole,you could barely see where the one hole was a bit larger than the 28 cal. :-D She's still a keeper!! :mrgreen:

Congrats on the Rem 721!

358wcf
01-30-2012, 01:31 PM
Just last summer (2011) I spotted a 721 ('06) in the rack- tag said $350- I checked it out, and everything was as it should be- stock finish was great for a rifle built over 50 years ago- bluing looked very good- no butchery evident-
as stated by others, it looked better to me than newer model 700s- stell buttplate didn't show much wear-
Offered $300, and it went home with me (after our lovely 10 day wait period)-
I found a pristine Lyman receiver sight in my collection that will be soon mounted on this beauty to finish off "an old man's deer rifle".
I hope it shoots cast well- we'll soon see--

On the price- remember, this is California- anything at all that shoots is worth $300 or more!

358wcf [smilie=1:[smilie=1:[smilie=1:
Chuck

Artful
02-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Well, you all shamed me into it. I'm usually not susceptible to peer pressure, but I gave in.:)

I went to the gun show this morning, and the shop that had the gun was there, as was the 721! I assumed since it wasn't on the rack the other day that it was sold. I even got it for a little less (195 with background check fee). I'll see if I can do something with the stock.

There were several good deals there this morning. A nice old Ithaca 37 for $150 and a steel-frame '51 Colt Uberti C&B for $115. I should have bought the Colt; I have a brass framed one but rarely shoot it because I don't want to wear it out. I saw a number of solid old $125 pump shotguns and $75 .22 rifles. Kind of like the good old days- if you like old guns to tinker with.

Ah you need to share pictures and document the restoration for us. :drinks:

John 242
02-03-2012, 11:44 PM
Regarding the "alleged" safety problems with Remington 700 series trigger, here's a link that's worth reading. Whether you agree with the authors conclusions or not, you will know more about the trigger and how it works.

REMINGTON-WALKER TRIGGER EXPLANATION
©copyright 2010, H.J. Belk
http://gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=87

Uncle R.
02-04-2012, 12:04 AM
John:
Did you post a link to your own hard drive?
Whatever it is it won't open for me.
Uncle R.

Artful
02-04-2012, 12:17 AM
Uncle R try this link
http://www.gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=87

John 242
02-04-2012, 12:18 AM
John:
Did you post a link to your own hard drive?
Whatever it is it won't open for me.
Uncle R.

Yeah, I messed that one up. I should have tested it after posting. Should work now.
Thanks for the heads up. Pretty good article on the Rem trigger.

fatelk
02-04-2012, 02:33 AM
You talked me into it. It's not much to look at. The stock was shortened way too short, and the barrel channel and action channel were hogged out. I suppose it could be salvaged, but through the kindness of Flounderman I now have a much nicer old 721 stock to fit to it and refinish.

It may take me a while to get to it, but I'll try to remember to post the after photo when I'm done.

I sure wish it wasn't so expensive to have a gun blued. The bluing is pretty thin, but I can live with it. When I get it fitted in the stock, and the old Weaver scope on it, and get time to make it to the range; I look forward to seeing how it shoots.

Added: OK, I don't know what's wrong here, but I have added a photo twice to this post, but it won't show up. I'll try to figure it out tomorrow.

Brithunter
02-04-2012, 04:32 AM
You might consider doing the bluing yourself. Rust bluing takes time but does need that much in the way of equipment. A friend made a rusting box from scrap timber and lamp fitting into which he put an infra red lamp to keep the water in the tray warm enough to provide the moist air needed for nice coverage.

I am planning on building such a cabinet myself which a few alterations.

fatelk
02-04-2012, 01:56 PM
I'll try this again.

fatelk
02-05-2012, 01:03 PM
I wonder if they made 721's with different barrel lengths or contours?

I just spent a couple hours carefully fitting the new stock. It turned out great; carefully free floating without looking "hogged out". The old stock is definitely hogged out, not just the barrel channel, but the receiver channel as well. I haven't decided whether to hang on to it for some reason, or just chuck it in the fireplace.

I went over the new stock with some fine steel wool and mineral oil and it has that look of decades of honest wear, not abuse; matches the metal perfectly. I kind of like it, and may not even refinish it.

It's funny, I intended on putting a 700 stock on it, refinish and nice recoil pad, "modernizing" it. Now I think I like it as-is, steel butt plate and all.:)

fatelk
02-05-2012, 08:10 PM
OK, all done. I know it's not much of a restoration, but I'm happy with it. I must have cut and sanded 1/4" of wood out of the front of the barrel channel, but it sure fits good now.

13Echo
02-05-2012, 08:41 PM
There was a posting on another site about a Rem 722. The new owner cleaned it up, and refinished and checkered the beat up stock with an oil finish. It is amazing what a little bit of good checkering does to dress up a rifle. Made a really handsome rifle. Got me kinda looking for a 722 to make a 250-3000 for a grandson.

Jerry Liles

fatelk
02-05-2012, 09:37 PM
I've seen some amazingly nice hand checkering. I wish I had the skill to do that, but am afraid I would just mess it up.

ajjohns
02-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Great gun. I have the BDL version in 30-06. I love hunting with it and it's accurate. They do sell a clip conversion for them through Cabelas. I don't have one but the guys I work with who own them have them and say they work good.

Artful
02-08-2012, 02:07 AM
OK, all done. I know it's not much of a restoration, but I'm happy with it. I must have cut and sanded 1/4" of wood out of the front of the barrel channel, but it sure fits good now.

Nice, now tell us how it shoots :lovebooli

fatelk
02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
It might take a couple more weeks, but I'll post when I get it out to the range. Life is just too busy right now. I remember a time when I had spare time, but that feels like long ago...

KCSO
02-08-2012, 12:02 PM
II had a 722 re blued and put into a 700 s/a stock with a 700 floor plate and it was just a dandy varmit rifle. The only hitch was inletting the barrel lump inot the 700 stock.

BigRich
02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
Model 700's have come and gone. The Mod 721 is still in my armory. That is one 30-06 that will never be sold, and you will never find one for $200.00 or under ever again. I'd get another if I could.

13Echo
02-18-2012, 04:31 PM
Very nice article on Harry Selby's 721 30-06 in the latest "Rifleman". It'll make you want to take your "new" rifle to Africa.

Jerry Liles

bearstopper
02-19-2012, 11:01 AM
What can you get for $200.00 nowadays? Maybe a cheap .22 or .17hmr. You can almost get a Stevens 200 but not quite. If its not beat, and the worst thing about it is a hack job recoil pad then it is worth at least $350.00 to the right person.

429421Cowboy
02-27-2012, 04:55 PM
Last rifle we bought was a 721 .30/06 with a 3-9 Bushnell and Weaver rings on it for $200 a couple years back, wood has zero scratches or dings, an old timer that was a friend of my fathers refinished the stock after his last hunting season and never got the chance to put a fresh ding in it. Dad used to have a 721 in .270 that he traded back to his father for a M70 270 sporter weight from early '43, then gave that to my twin brother our first hunting season, so he didn't have a rifle and even though he's not a big /06 fan he couldn't pass up the offer from his friend. Shoots about 2" at a 100, kicks like a mule but sure is a beautiful old rifle, just put a new leather sling on it to complete the classic look, i am one young guy that appreciates an American classic!!

sledgehammer001
03-09-2012, 06:07 PM
Nice job, Fatelk. I was lucky enough to get one several years ago, in 30-06. Traded for it from the original owner. My total cost: $125.It was all original when I got it. I've since replaced the extractor with a new 700 riveted style, and refinished the stock. She loves 220gr GC over 13.4gr of SR7625. Glad to hear you still had a chance to get it.
Oh, yeah. Mine was Mfg in '52. happy shootin!

richhodg66
03-26-2012, 10:03 PM
I just looked at a very nice one in .30-06, still had the original metal butt plate, for an asking price of $450. I might have to put together some trade goods and go back to talk to them.

fatelk
04-21-2012, 07:40 PM
I finally made it out to sit down with this rifle and a couple sandbags at a bench. The best I shot at 100 yards was a 4-shot 2" group. I was hoping for a little better than that, but my bench and sandbags weren't the best, and the ammo wasn't anything special.

Someday I'll make it to the gun club range with a better setup and better ammo, and see if I can get it to do a little better. I need to see if I can do something with the trigger too; it's a little stiff. For testing purposes I might even remove the vintage Weaver 4x scope and mount one of my good Leupolds on it.

Regarding the original metal buttplates- this one looks nice and original, but I guess I've gotten spoiled to nice soft recoil pads. Between the 721 and the Marlin .44 magnum this morning, my shoulder is rather sore.

Artful
04-29-2012, 10:26 AM
Try something like PAST recoil shield
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699899/past-super-mag-plus-recoil-pad-shield-ambidextrous

Or you could just put a sand bag between that metal plate and your shoulder

flounderman
04-29-2012, 11:59 AM
check the bedding. the stock could be riding the barrel at some point. these guns shoot with a floated barrel. I don't recall one that wouldn't shoot an inch group with proper bedding. also check the crown. if the end of the barrel is worn shiney it could have been carried muzzle down in a truck.

Twinkiethekid
05-07-2012, 08:45 PM
$200 is a good price! If the throat is not shot out. My friends dad's 300 h&h wood stock cracked right at the arch. He could fix it and have a professional gunsmith put a pin and maybe glue thru the arch. That is common in the 721's.

FLINTNFIRE
05-11-2012, 12:31 AM
I would have bought in a heart beat , have the 721 in 270 and in 30-06 and gave my teen age daughter the 722 in 300 savage , her choice over a newer 700 in 30-06 , I still use my 721 in 270 as my hunting rifle , an excellent price as was said just for the action alone

451whitworth
05-11-2012, 09:05 AM
i have a 721 in 270wcf, another in 300 H&H, and a 722 in 222. they all shoot excellent. i would really like to stumble upon a 721 in 264 win mag.

GOPHER SLAYER
05-24-2012, 07:37 PM
The first rifle I bought was a Remington 721 in .280 cal. As I recall the price was around ninty bucks out the door. I think it was in 1960. I could have bought a model 70 Winchester for one twenty five. While the gun shot very well, I never liked the 721. The safety was near impossible to work and the rifle just looked cheap and cheezy. The action was a piece of threaded tubing and the recoil lug was a washer held on by the barrel. The extracter was a stamping pressed into the front of the bolt. It had a stamped trigger guard. I had the stock replaced with a nice looking piece of walnut but it didn't help. I know the Remington 700 series of rifles shoot very well but I don't care. If you want a highly seviceable tool for hunting then the 721 should serve you well and last three forevers. I don't hunt so pride of ownership means more to me. I like milled steel forgings and dark walnut. I sold the 721 and I have never had the slightest regret for doing so. I do regret not buying the model 70 for 125..

nanuk
05-25-2012, 03:47 AM
It is amazing what a little bit of good checkering does to dress up a rifle.
Jerry Liles

I disagree

I find checkering really takes away from the beautiful lines of a rifle

there is Art in the flowing lines

checkering a rifle is like putting ketchup on a medium rare RibEye Steak

fatelk
05-29-2012, 01:45 AM
Just thought I'd mention that I took it out again today. I borrowed a Leupold scope from one of my other rifles for it just to make sure that wasn't the issue, and a box of carefully loaded 155 Nosler J4's.

I was only able to shoot it at 50 yards, and I only shot 5 rounds, but that 5-shot group measured .61" center to center. 4 of the 5 went into one ragged hole. I think it has potential for good accuracy.

Artful
05-29-2012, 01:13 PM
:holysheep - you got a keeper I'd say

helice
05-31-2012, 12:38 AM
Fatelk,
Glad to hear that you got out to shoot your 721 and that you were pleased. Years ago I bought a 721 from a missionary to Alaska. It was a 300H&H and it was a honey. It was roughed up a bit from riding around in airplanes but all he wanted was $225 and the knowledge that it was going to a good home. It shot better than I could consistantly hold it. I loaned it to my brother's son-in-law when he moved to Colorado and talked about elk hunting. Haven't seen it since. The boy is a great fellow and it was nice to be able to pass a great gun on to the next generation. I hope you can do the same with yours someday.

280Ackley
05-31-2012, 07:31 PM
Saw a 721 30-06 at my local gun pusher today. $525 and the theif won't budge on the price.

Worn_Holster
10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
I found this immaculate 721 in .270 Win on GB recently for $350. It was an estate sale rifle, and must have been the previous owner's safe queen. It has a Williams peep sight on it, and I replaced the front sight with a Williams FireSight front bead. It has a near perfect stock, shiny bore, and was manufactured in May 1948 which is the first year of production.
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/myHKiron/721_1_zps8c406eb3.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/myHKiron/721_2_zps0e5241b3.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/myHKiron/721_3_zps6bdbc884.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/myHKiron/721_4_zpse765522b.jpg
http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab52/myHKiron/721_5_zps02f48634.jpg

Hardcast416taylor
10-03-2012, 02:17 PM
Just a casual observation I noticed on this thread. Almost all the writers that said they had a Rem. Model 722 rifle said it was in .300 Savage caliber. They made fewer of this cal. in this model than the other cals., yet these rifles are worth a lesser amount than the other cals. offered in the 722. Boyds makes a nice stock for either model 721 or 722 and have recoil pads already installed.Robert

x101airborne
10-04-2012, 03:25 PM
I disagree

I find checkering really takes away from the beautiful lines of a rifle

there is Art in the flowing lines

checkering a rifle is like putting ketchup on a medium rare RibEye Steak

Really depends on the rifle. I like the Fleur De Lis checkering on the model 70's, but I do enjoy my old enfield sporter in 06 and it has a slick stock.

As far as the steak comment, I am the WORLDS WORST about staring at people who do that to steaks I cook. Even my wife and kids dont put anything on my steaks. They just taste too good to ruin.

TAMU74
10-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I have a 721 .30-06 and a 722 .222 and they were both built in the early 1950's. the -06 is one my daddy bought the day I was born back in 1951, it has shot innumberable rounds and will still put them all in one hole. The .222 is also a tack driver. The Remington 700 is nothing more than the 721, 722, 725 that the "prettied up."

Bodydoc447
10-04-2012, 06:48 PM
I just bought a 721 .30-06 off of GB. The stock looks like it could be refinished and had a kind of beat up looking pad. Which of the Boyds stocks fit the 721? The 700 BDL?

Thanks, Doc

mauser1959
08-03-2013, 12:49 AM
I know this is weird , but I was just given a .270w 721 , for checking out a friends dad's collection of old firearms ( the dad passed ). The old man had money , but liked Remingtons .I had no desire for a .270 , but since it was his main hunting rifle , that is what I picked out of the bunch , as opposed to a good grade model 12 or a Model 8 in 30remington ( could not figure out the age due to lack of date indicators ) bluing perfect . I wanted a savage 308 , set up my way , but all the sudden this rifle has gotten my fantasy . It has a lymans peep on it , but want to change that to Ziesse glass ( yeah , perhaps the glass is worth more than the rifle ) . The rifle was made in june of 1950 . older than me by a lot of years . All the sudden the reloading station will have a .270 w on it , should be a coyote slaying machine . I think that the rifle is rather crude in some ways , but classic in others . I have not decided whether to send back to Remington for a bolt upgrade , not sure that it is worth it , but I do know that I have connected with this rifle . I appreciate Larry Gibson for giving me more information on what I need to cast for the gun . I thought of putting a forgrip cap on it , but the old man did not need it and I probably do not either .... But I do plan to slay him a huge MO/IA deer to make his spirit that his gun met its marks . I Have more than a handful of rifles , but this one really hits me ... funny as so many or my guns are worth more .