PDA

View Full Version : A good one slipped by...

pls1911
01-17-2012, 11:21 PM
While working a project just north and west of the Pecos Wilderness in New Mexico this past fall, I managed to work with several good men from local families dating back over 400 years... (being history buff, I knew the historical sir names and Spanish deeded landholdings pretty well) Old time New Mexico familes are fine, close knit folks, whether Spanish, Indian or Mexican origens. Truely fabulous folks.
I had an offer to come to an apple orchard and shoot a cow elk on a depredation permit if I wanted to fill the freezer...and of course life got in the way.

Another offer to hunt a separate, remote, multi section place was pre-empted as well.

You can bet I'll maintain these friendships, so maybe the offers will stand again next year.
I've said that too often, and need to move on opportunities...
there are now more miles behind me than in front.

TXGunNut
01-17-2012, 11:31 PM
I've spent a bit of time there, next trip will be to fulfill a promise made to my dad. He felt it was some of the most beautiful country on Earth.
Sharing a cup of coffee or a meal with some of the men you met is a rare treat, hunting as their guest would be a fine thing indeed. Life is short, we'll cherish our hunting memories long after we're able to hunt.

smoked turkey
01-18-2012, 11:18 PM
I have spent a little time with some of the Indian families way down in Mexico on a mission trip or two. Yes they are very fine folks. You were highly thought of or you wouldn't have been asked to hunt. I hope you get another opportunity.

TCLouis
01-19-2012, 12:38 AM
When someone from your part of the country receives an invitation from natives to hunt in that area of NM, you indeed must be a special person.

Probably more than you will ever know.

Thank you for representing yourself so well.