PDA

View Full Version : Frosty Lee TL452-200-SWC

aas5f6
01-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Here's a picture of some Lee TL452-200-SWC I plan on shooting in my Dan Wesson Heritage. The mold was at high temperature, but frosting only started when I was emptying the pot (lead temperature was increasing).

I tried to position them from least frosty to most frosty. I have not had the chance to weight them.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/resalepros/DSC01403.jpg

Doble Troble
01-17-2012, 10:41 PM
They'll likely shoot just fine!

rsrocket1
01-17-2012, 11:29 PM
Did you cool your mold between castings? That will help eliminate the frosting, but honestly, once you tumble lube those boolits and bang them around in the mixing tub, you won't notice the difference between the one on the left from the one on the right. Like Doble said, the'll shoot just fine.

dmize
01-18-2012, 02:30 PM
There is mention in the latest Lee reloading book that the "frosty surface" will actuall help it hold more TL.

Frank V
01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
You might want to weigh them just to find out if there is any difference in weight. If you are using a bottom pour lead pot & the lead is getting pretty low, you might experience lighter bullets because the pressure or force of the bullet metal going into the mould is less than with a full pot.
I sometimes use two moulds alternating them to keep the mould from getting too hot. I've shot a lot of frosted bullets & haven't had any problem with them. I'd shoot them & enjoy it.
Frank

ku4hx
01-18-2012, 06:16 PM
If a slightly frosty boolit is your only concern, you have nothing to worry about ... load 'em and shoot 'em.

idahoron
01-18-2012, 09:28 PM
I wipe the lube off the nose after I load them. The frost wipes off. My frosty bullets shoot under 1" groups at 15 yards. and are plenty accurate out to 25 yards that I have shot so far. Ron

BossHoss
01-18-2012, 10:29 PM
Certainly the leftmost passes as fine. The gradual demise towards right ends with one that has the may fracture/may not fracture look. Without getting reaaaallly close to it....can't tell.

I know my good friend who shoots ALL of his mistakes , would not think twice about it. lol.

As long as it doesn't look like you could crack it like an egg....shoot it.

So, into the sizer pile with the first 4...be picky and shoot/pour for better ...you already are.

here is a pic of some frosty ones...first cast from a used mold at a gunshow. Just wanted to see what they looked like....I wasn't trying very hard.

I was more interested in the venison and leinie.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/imagehosting/198424f17817a8d981.jpg