PDA

View Full Version : TINSEL FAIRY sighted!

Bigjohn
03-08-2007, 01:16 AM
Well the broadcast media currently have a story going about an explosion in a Lead Furnace at the Port PIRIE Smelter in South Australia. One Man has been taken to hospital with Serious Burns.

Now I don't know how big these smelters are but each one of us would get near to a lifetimes supply from one pot.

Company sources are stating that the explosion was caused by moisture getting into the pot. I can not begin to imagine how much moisture or how big an explosion BUT I can imagine fairly big! TINSEL FAIRY on steriods.

We hope the injured worker will pull through without serious scarring.

John.

floodgate
03-08-2007, 02:36 AM
Back in the "good old days" of linotype printing, it was supposed to be a big joke to tell the kid that swabbed out the place to stick his wet mop into the lino pot. Hardly ever really fatal!

floodgate

Buckshot
03-08-2007, 04:31 AM
..............Run away! Run away, the Tinsel Fairie is escaped from Ft Mudge!

.............Buckshot

Bigjohn
03-08-2007, 05:24 AM
Appears as if the Tinsel Fairy is also branching out. The news this evening corrected some inaccuracyies.

It was apparently a pot of copper at 1000 F; fellow is burnt but will survive.

I thought the fairy only preferred pots of lead!:-D

John.

versifier
03-08-2007, 02:28 PM
Maybe if she spends too much time out in the sun, she can't tell the difference between one smelter and another. Or maybe you have a different breed of them down under that just want to be different. We'll just have to ask my daughter - she got credit for the initial discovery of who was behind it all when she saw me and my shop well-decorated quite a while ago, I guess that makes her the resident expert. :-D

versifier
03-08-2007, 07:08 PM
She says that if every different flower has its own fairies, then it only makes sense that each metal should, too. She didn't go for the steroids idea, though, but said it was probably a large group of them at work.

qajaq59
03-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Back in the "good old days" of linotype printing, it was supposed to be a big joke to tell the kid that swabbed out the place to stick his wet mop into the lino pot. Hardly ever really fatal!
We used to give our guy red painted sawdust and tell him to feed the Blob that lived in the lead pots. And the poor kid believed us.

I think all us old printers were evil. :drinks:

Steelbanger
03-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Any of you old printers looking for a nostalgic trip? A friend has a few linotypes for sale. Makes a great lawn ornament!

qajaq59
03-09-2007, 08:38 PM
It's been 27 years now, but I'd bet I could still remember the keyboard. Once you apprentice on that monster you NEVER forget it.

Ricochet
03-10-2007, 09:45 PM
Sounds like "the printer's devil" wasn't the gofer in the shop.