PDA

View Full Version : Woe is me, I have to cast again ;-)

prs
01-17-2012, 03:30 PM
I've shot my self out of stock with my 40 S&W for my stock Glock 23. I originally cast a batch of 100# of alloy in the Lee TL401-175-SW. I have a couple of hundred loaded, but no boolits to re-load. I've put over 3,800 rounds through that pistol in just a few months! No excess leading either. It was just a dust collector before I hand loaded for it.

I also get to try a brand spanky new mould next session. Another Lee 6 banger for 45ACP (which fire arm I don't even have, but plan to remedy that character flaw soon). That mould is another TL design with similar profile as the 40 I like and 230 grain. I have the dies, the brass, the powder, the primers, and will have boolits; just gotta get the main thing when avaialble Ruger SR1911. I will only cast a couple hundred pills for it since I may see feed problems or such and need to change moulds to a hardball dupicate.

Woe is me, all this work to do........ :bigsmyl2:

prs

rsrocket1
01-17-2012, 04:09 PM
Good idea to start with small batches. My TL452-230-TC's loaded and shot fine unsized so long as I seated them to where the cone ended. I later got the Lee 451 sizer and it sized them down another mil so that I can leave more boolit outside the case and load to higher velocities if I want.

I also have the 401-175-TC with the single lube groove and they shoot just fine when tumble lubed in Recluse's formula. Sizing those boolits did the same trick in my M&P40.

Those 6-bangers put out so many boolits, you're done before you feel like you've just started.

prs
01-17-2012, 11:19 PM
Well, I fibbed. I ordered and received the 452-230-TC and not the tumble lube version. I remember have trouble making my decision, so it is no biggie. Like you say, the Recluse mix will cling to 'em just fince anywho. Plus I can opt to lube in the 450 if want.

prs

Moonie
01-19-2012, 03:20 PM
I load the 230-TC non tl version and use 45/45/10 on them, works great.