PDA

View Full Version : Degreaser

unique
03-07-2007, 10:15 PM
Can any one suggest a good degreaser for bulk brass? I am lazy sort so I mixed tablespoon of lanolin with small bottle of 90% iso alcohol then poured over a thousand or so of 30-06 brass. It sure did good job lubing them but now I want to degrease them after sizing. Iso dissolves lanolin but it is too slow and would not make a good degreaser. Of course I could do each one by hand but remember I am lazy sort. I would like a degreaser that is fast but leaves no residue. I am thinking of gasoline...yes of course I know it is flammable...Any sugestions?

454PB
03-07-2007, 10:46 PM
To avoid something flammable, try Dawn dish soap. You will have to rinse the brass well, but it cuts the grease.

Dale53
03-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I can't help you with a solvent, but I can suggest a better, easier handled case lube (not knocking lanolin as it has great film strength and has been used on the OUTSIDE of cases for many, many years). However, if you buy Lee case lube, it is water soluble. Just mix it 10-1 with WATER and dip the DE-CAPPED cases in this. Spread the cases on newspaper and let dry overnight. Then size the dried cases. The dried wax film will not harm your powder in any way. It lubricates both the outside and the inside of your cases (no dragging expander rods) and when you are finished, just roll the cases in a towel dampened with a slight bit of water and VOILA!

TIP: I use a french fryer basket and after dipping the cases, shake them so that the majority of water falls off. Very little actual work time involved and it works well when you have hundreds or thousands to process.

Dale53

Slowpoke
03-08-2007, 02:31 AM
I can't help you with a solvent, but I can suggest a better, easier handled case lube (not knocking lanolin as it has great film strength and has been used on the OUTSIDE of cases for many, many years). However, if you buy Lee case lube, it is water soluble. Just mix it 10-1 with WATER and dip the DE-CAPPED cases in this. Spread the cases on newspaper and let dry overnight. Then size the dried cases. The dried wax film will not harm your powder in any way. It lubricates both the outside and the inside of your cases (no dragging expander rods) and when you are finished, just roll the cases in a towel dampened with a slight bit of water and VOILA!

TIP: I use a french fryer basket and after dipping the cases, shake them so that the majority of water falls off. Very little actual work time involved and it works well when you have hundreds or thousands to process.

Dale53

If you are just sizing you can size wet as well.

Also if you water drop your bullets right from the mould and size with the Lee type sizer, you can drop your bullets into this same solution and when it comes time to size, your bullets already have alittle lube on them for easy sizing.

good luck

357maximum
03-08-2007, 03:24 AM

Dale53

That is one for the ingenuity awards if given, awesome I will try it...I just so happen to have a defunct square 4 gallon fryer with basket......should make short work of the several thousand 38 specials I need to do....thanks
Michael

utk
03-08-2007, 07:07 AM
I use one tube of LEE toothpaste to 4-5 tubes of alcohol into a pump spray bottle.
Spread out the cases on a newspaper and spray. Shake around and spray once more.
The reason for my using alcohol is that it evaporates quicker than water. I do not decap the cases beforehand as I donīt want the "primer ashes" all over the cases, might scratch the sizing die...

Urban

arkypete
03-08-2007, 08:19 AM
I, to, am lazy and cheap. I bought a quart of STP to use a sizing lube. I decap all of my rifle cases on cheap RCBS press, used for nothing but decapping. Then I lube the cases with STP, resize, throw cases in tumbler and go on to other projects, dump cases out in morning.
Nothing could be simpler or less work.
The checking for length and primer pocket cleaning takes care of any crud in the flash hole.
Jim

unique
03-08-2007, 09:41 AM
Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll let you know what I tried and how it worked out.

Yukon
03-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Dishwasher should work well for mass degreasing.