PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Chronographs

Bigscot
01-16-2012, 11:08 PM
I am thinking of getting one and looking for thoughts on the best one. I read somewhere that the RCBS was a good one for the money. Don't need a serious one ie. $.

Thanks,

Bigscot

fecmech
01-16-2012, 11:38 PM
As reasonably priced as they are today I would not be without one. I started with the Oehler and mylar screens that required you to change both screens with each shot. You then rotated a knob through a number of positions to get the actual elapsed time of the bullet between the screens. After that you went to a printed table to get the velocity! I was in on the beta testing when Oehler came out with the skyscreens, boy was that a big improvement. I still use the Model 35 today that I got back in the late 70's with sky screens and direct readout.

Love Life
01-17-2012, 12:03 AM
They are great pieces of equipment, but they are NOT bullet proof.

clodhopper
01-17-2012, 12:23 AM
I have a half intrest in a RCBS cronograph, my opion is the sensors are not well mounted, with the wind whipping the skyscreens were flopping around.
The .22 ammo I was shooting that day logged velocities from the 900s to the 1500 fps reading.
Still really do not know the truth on the velocities fired but that ammo did shoot pretty accuratly.
Now have full intrest in an old Olher, the guy I bought it from told me to change the battery at least once a year or the readings will be wild, old battery could have been the problem with the RCBS.
Now in the poession of the other half owner 500 miles away.

Westwindmike
01-17-2012, 12:40 AM
I have a Chrony. The green one with remote readout. It does a great job for me and was less than $100. I had a friend build me a bullet deflector for it.

rockrat
01-17-2012, 12:54 AM
Buy one of the inexpensive ones as you are going to shoot it anyhow (trust me on this!!:))

jmsj
01-17-2012, 12:57 AM
My wife got me a Chrony F-1 for Christmas this year. It's the first and only one I have ever had or used. It seems to work well and has been really informative. I was surprised to see that some loads were a lot faster or a lot slower than I would have expected.
jmsj

Southern Son
01-17-2012, 06:36 AM
Buy one of the inexpensive ones as you are going to shoot it anyhow (trust me on this!!:))

It has been said that there are 2 types of chorograph owner. Those who have shot their chronograph, and those who are going to. I would like to add 2 more catagories, those who have shot multiple chronographs, and me, who shot the same one, twice, one round right after the other. :oops: a 40 grain bullet at about 4000fps did a fair bit of damage, but not enough to kill it with the first shot or knock it over, the second shot killed it.

It was a Chrony, the one with the remote LCD screen that you put on your bench while you shoot. Up until the bullets started hitting it, it had been great. I will probably buy another of the same model. Hopefully I won't assasinate the new one.

cajun shooter
01-17-2012, 08:18 AM
I read as much as possible and asked other shooters in my area. I ended up with the CED 2 Millennium.
I have no idea about the claims they are the choice of many shooting sports such as IPSC and many others including SASS which is what I shoot.
I'm not very high in the order of things and have no direct contact with the big boys. That is what I read and we have to believe some of our printed material.
It has worked well for me, although I do need a much better tripod that is not so shaky. But for 39.95 at Best Buy that is what I have. The product has worked well the times it has been used.
The reason I have been unable to take it every time I go to the range is that all the other shooters want to see what their load is doing. I'm not crazy about letting another person shoot my machine and then saying man I'm sorry just before they walk off. They will make no attempt to reach for that wallet as I've been down that road more than twice before. No More.
So it's CED for my vote.

JeffinNZ
01-17-2012, 05:40 PM
I'm on my 2nd Chorny. The first one packed up after about 15 years of good use.

Great pieces of kit. Not essesntial but very handy. Nothing like the look of disappointment on the face of a shooter when he finds out the real velocity is 200fps shy of the book. ;-)

Rattlesnake Charlie
01-17-2012, 05:53 PM
My Chrony works fine.

KYCaster
01-17-2012, 09:28 PM
It has been said that there are 2 types of chorograph owner. Those who have shot their chronograph, and those who are going to. I would like to add 2 more catagories, those who have shot multiple chronographs, and me, who shot the same one, twice, one round right after the other. :oops: a 40 grain bullet at about 4000fps did a fair bit of damage, but not enough to kill it with the first shot or knock it over, the second shot killed it.

It was a Chrony, the one with the remote LCD screen that you put on your bench while you shoot. Up until the bullets started hitting it, it had been great. I will probably buy another of the same model. Hopefully I won't assasinate the new one.

I don't know what it will cost you to send it to NY, but they'll repair or replace it for about half the cost of a new one.

Won't hurt to ask.

Jerry

leadman
01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
I had the basic Chrony with the readout on the unit at the tripod. A gas check off a 22 cal boolit went thru the display. Called Chrony and they made me a deal on the one with the display on the bench. The guy at Chrony said it is cheaper to replace the sensors than the computer part of it.

Jailer
01-17-2012, 11:04 PM
I've got a Crony and I'm not all that pleased with it. It errors out quite a bit and no matter what I do it WILL NOT read 45 ACP regardless of distance or firearm they are shot from.

I might try the CED millennium 2 next. Seems like its a good unit.

Bret4207
01-18-2012, 08:11 AM
I got a bottom of the line basic Chrony I'm happy with. It's like a Bhn tester, you use it once in a while and it's handy, but not essential. The biggest thing it does is show you how "hopeful" some of the advertised velocity claims are. Things are actually a little better now than back in the early 90's when a friend bought an Oehler. We found out none of the 9mm ammo we could get was anywhere near published velocity.

nicholst55
01-18-2012, 08:58 AM
I have a CED Millennium 2 sitting still in the box, waiting for me to get back to the States to try it out. I selected it because of positive reviews and the fact that the 'brain-box' is NOT in front of the muzzle. I'll let anybody who wants to shoot over it - just as soon as they lay two $100 bills on the table.

Reload3006
01-18-2012, 09:23 AM
I have the Chorny F1 not expensive as far as chronographs are concerned. So when you shoot it you won't be crying to loud. Yes you will shoot it. That is one of those things you can take to the bank. Any way mine has always worked fine for rifle and pistol and archery. Only down side to it is it needs sunlight to work reliably.

cbrick
01-18-2012, 10:38 AM

I've been using my Oehler 35 since the early 80's with many, many thousands of rounds through the sky screens and haven't shot it yet.

Never used it to check factory velocity claims, don't know what the factories claim, haven't bought any in nearly 30 years. Do they still make that stuff?
The chrono is a great tool for working up loads and checking for consistency and even things like momentum on target. I keep notes on everything I run over the chrono and over time the comparison of loads (accumulation of data) between changes such as bullet, charge weight, primer etc is invaluable.

I shoot over the chrono while grouping on target. Mr. group size (average of several groups with same load) has the final word on selected loads but the chrono can and does give valuable info while increasing charge weights, what a primer or crimp change etc does and the comparison of chrono results with group size.

Sample size has everything to do with chrono results, accuracy and usefulness. For a 2 or 3 shot chrono test you may as well save the ammo, it'll tell you little to nothing, not even a reasonable average velocity and by no means an accurate standard deviation. All of my chrono tests are a minimum of 10 shots. If it’s a load that appears to be on the right track there will be 4-5 10 shot tests all while grouping on target.

Then of course notes, accurate complete note keeping is what makes the chrono tests invaluable to me.

Rick

alamogunr
01-18-2012, 12:25 PM
I have the CED chrono and like it a lot. It comes with a cable to download results to your computer. I haven't done that yet but I wonder if it would take the place of notes. I'll have to try it next time I take it to the range.

pdawg_shooter
01-18-2012, 12:30 PM
I bought a Pact years ago. For a while I used it on everything I shot over the bench. Now, the only time I get it out is when I change powder lots.

375RUGER
01-18-2012, 04:17 PM
I've had a Pact for a long time. It's been a good one.

scrapcan
01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
I have a pact model 1 that I have had since 1989. the control unit sets next to you on the bench, the sensors and sky screens are all you can shoot. It has been a good unit, it owes me nothing.

The thing I use it the most with is testing remington premier factory ammo. To see what to shoot for in testing.

sagamore-one
01-18-2012, 05:48 PM
I have used several chronograph units and have some observations.

First.. they all work, most of the time. All give excellent velocity readings.
Second... you get significantly fewer errors and better human engineering with the Oehler units. You get what you pay for.
Oehler units always work well even when other units refuse to register a velocity.
Lastly... none are bulletproof.
I just recently killed another Master Chrony .. kept displaying "error" and some really absurd velocities with a 45 auto. I kept shooting lower till I blew it right off the tripod. I don't consider it much of a loss. If I had blasted my Oehler I would have cried.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Westwindmike
01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
For those who worry about shooting your Chrony, have someone weld you up a boolit deflector like this.

http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j203/westwindmike/Reloading/DSCN4095Small.jpg

higgins
01-18-2012, 06:03 PM
I've used a basic Chrony for several years now with no problems. Most of the questions or problems I've seen raised about Chronys are answered in the owners manual. You might see if it's available online for your review before you decide what to buy.

woody1
01-18-2012, 06:08 PM
I've got a Chrony Master Beta, careful how you say that) and I love it. I don't use it a lot but I've used it indoors with a light over it and it worked fine. Outdoors it seems to work best in sunlight but does work under clouds also. I have a lot of shade off the back deck where I use it mostly now and I regularly use a 22 to check for function before firing for record. Usually need to take the defusers off under clouds. I did cobble up a gas check deflector for it before a gas check busted anything. Haven't shot it yet, knock wood. Regards, Woody

woody1
01-18-2012, 06:10 PM
[QUOTE=Westwindmike;1550785]For those who worry about shooting your Chrony, have someone weld you up a boolit deflector like this.

Wow, Mike. Now that's a deflector! I'm certain my tripod wouldn't hold up under that thing.

Westwindmike
01-18-2012, 06:13 PM
Yeah, Woody. The guy I asked to make it went a little overboard on it. Weighs about 5 pounds. LOL.

Firebricker
01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
I've had a Pact for the last five years and it's been a good one. Plus the readout is right beside you so you can only shoot the sky screens. Best of all is they're made right here in the U.S.A. FB

.357MAN
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM
I have a shooting chrony Beta Master Chrony, It's the one that has the readout separate from the sensors. The separate readout is good for three things : If the chrony gets shot it's not a complete loss ; Using a bullet shield doesn't cover the readout screen ; To reset or change in-between string you don't have to walk to the sensor unit. The only beef I have is that mine came with 15 ft. cord [ it connects the sensors to the brain/readout ] which 15 ft. is to short for high power rifle and magnum pistol rounds which need a 25-30 ft. cord to reach the table.

During testing I found out a few things about this chrony. Unless there was a high noon sun the diffusers[ plastic not paper diffusers came with my chrony] made errors and erratic velocities, so I don't even use the diffusers 1/10 of the time. If a high power round [ riffle or magnum pistol ] is being tested the barrel to chrony distance becomes an issue, the more powerful the sonic shock waves the longer it takes them to dissipate. Powerful sonic shock waves disrupts the chrony's sensors and causes errors and if it doesn't error the velocities are erratic [ 100-500 fps swings ], So you have to adjust the distance for whatever your shooting [ 38 spec = 10-15 ft. .357 mag = 20-25 ft. Rifle = 20+ ft. ].

I feared that I would shoot the chrony so I made a brick shaped bullet shield that sits flush with the top of the chrony's metal housing, the shield is made out of a 3" thick piece of wood [ stops splatter/ricochets ] bolted to a 3/4" thick plate [ stops any normal bullet ] altogether the brick weighs about 4-5 lb.. Weight isn't a concern for me, as I set my chrony on an old table and shim the legs to gat the angle I need.

If your having trouble with a shooting chrony their is a "trouble shooting " section in their manual that addresses everything that could go wrong and it includes the things that I talked about. If you read the manual and understand the concepts of the light and distance effects you could get a shooting chrony to be accurate and very reliable.

.357MAN
01-18-2012, 08:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted by: sagamore-one
"I have used several chronograph units and have some observations.

First.. they all work, most of the time. All give excellent velocity readings.
Second... you get significantly fewer errors and better human engineering with the Oehler units. You get what you pay for.
Oehler units always work well even when other units refuse to register a velocity.
Lastly... none are bulletproof.
I just recently killed another Master Chrony .. kept displaying "error" and some really absurd velocities with a 45 auto. I kept shooting lower till I blew it right off the tripod. I don't consider it much of a loss. If I had blasted my Oehler I would have cried.
Just my 2 cents worth. "

I hate to tell you this but it sounds like you where to close and the sonic shock wave was disrupting the sensors. I hade this problem with warm .357 mag load. it was registering 1500-3100 fps. with a 1300 fps load out of a 6 inch barrel. I eventually moved the chrony from 15 ft. to 25 ft. away from the muzzle after reading the troubleshooting page in their manual, and the velocities cleaned up and I have never had that problem since.

Bullwolf
01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
I had a Pro Chrono digital chronograph for a while. It worked just fine outdoors, in sunlight, and even under fluorescent lighting, but it was put into an early retirement by a misplaced .40 caliber slug shot by someone else. Now I will never know just how long it would have held up for.

It has been replaced with a Shooting Chrony F1 Chronograph. The inexpensive fold up style one. I just have to be careful when folding it up, not to pinch or cut the electrical wires.

The Shooting Chrony F1 has been working satisfactorily so far, but I have not tried it indoors, or under florescent lighting as of yet. It works fine in sunlight, and cloudy lighting conditions so far. As others have said, keep an eye on the battery for best readings, and don't place the chronograph too close to the muzzle blast, or you will get erroneous readings.

I really like the "Don't shoot the chronograph" style deflector shields, but I think I would want a remote display style type chronograph, if I was using one in conjunction with shooting shield.

Perhaps that will be the next incarnation of chronograph for me, if this one does not prove to be my last.

- Bullwolf

sagamore-one
01-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Thank you for the tip, but I doubt it was that. I clocked my 357 at 1380 , my 44 at 1450, and my 9 at 1250 at the same chrono to gun distance. But I'm open minded and give it a try. Thank you.

Beau Cassidy
01-21-2012, 09:45 AM
I have had several over the years. The best one was a Pact. I think it was the professional. It didn't miss a shot. It was stolen out of the back of my truck while I was packing up at the range.

My next one was an Oehler. Probably the worst I have had. It missed shots left and right. I don't think it ever would pick up a .22/250 round. I called Oehler and they said to paint the bullets black with a marker. Nope, that didn't work either. It is packed up somewhere in my garage.

Afterwards I was given a Chrony Beta for Christmas. It was a nice compact chronograph and worked reasonably well. Much better than the Oehler. The only problem with it is the telephone cord will unplug from the unit without notice.

Next I bought another Pact. Pretty sure it was the XP. Nice unit but wouldn't pick up a gust of wind. It is sitting in the garage in its box.

Next I got a CED Mellinnium. Finally- a reliable chronograph. Simple and easy to set up. I have the indoor range light kit packed up somewhere. I don't think this one has ever missed a shot. I will keep this one a while.

canyon-ghost
01-21-2012, 09:53 AM
Some advance shooters may use all the features on a chronograph, I never have. Had an F1 Chrony that just used a nine volt battery. Nice and handy device, it let me know that my 41 magnum was moving a lot faster and had more pressure than the load books!

There are good reasons to own one, even the cheapest you can get. Buy one on sale, it's a good idea.

Dark Helmet
01-22-2012, 12:02 AM
Westwindmike, how thick is that plate steel your deflector is made of, Mr. Roberts doesn't pay much attention to 1/4 " diamond plate at 45 degrees[smilie=b:

Westwindmike
01-22-2012, 12:35 AM
Dark,
I just measured it. It's 3/8".

looseprojectile
01-22-2012, 03:49 PM
I got a chronograph that had a rotating wheel with a sheet of carbon paper on it that the sensors fired a spark through as it rotated. You then had to do the measuring and the math to arrive at your velocity.

A few decades later I got one that had thin foam sensors that detected the bullet.
Not sure if it ever worked. Bought it from a guy at the gunshow. After finding out it did not work I found that the company that made it had gone out of business.

I have a Chrony now, the one with the remote display. Have used it once in three years. Works fine. Don't need a chronograph.
I guess I am just not a serious reloader. I like to keep my shooting simple.

Life is good