PDA

View Full Version : Patches

PAT303
03-07-2007, 08:02 PM
Just a quick question. What shape patches doe's everyone use? Square or round? Is there a difference in the way they shoot? Has anyone done a test between them. Pat

twotoescharlie
03-07-2007, 08:11 PM
square and round, I even tried triangle shaped patches, could not tell any difference. I think if all sides of the ball is covered it does'nt make much difference.

TTC

waksupi
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I use square, as they are easy to cut. Absolutely no difference. Just make sure you have the stripes turned the right way, or the ball will fly in that direction.

;o)

PAT303
03-07-2007, 09:17 PM
I want to shoot square ones for no other reason that they are easier to cut and don't waste material.

piwo
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM
never tried a square patch, but can't imagine it would make a difference. I just bought a measure of pillow ticking this past weekend, and I'll make a mess of square ones and "kick the tires" and see hows they fly!

fatnhappy
03-07-2007, 10:12 PM
square, because they're easy to cut and I'm lazy. Sorry if you were looking for more depth in our answers.

PAT303
03-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Men of few words. Do any of you put wads or whatever over the powder. Sorry about the 20 questions but I might ask while your all here. Pat

piwo
03-07-2007, 11:35 PM
FWIW.....

I use a card wad over the powder,then load the patched ball. Perhaps it does no good, but there isn't any fear of the wad getting ahead of the patched ball, and I like the idea of a barrier between powder, grease, and the real possibility of water during our hunting season. I've hunted for 2 strait days in VERY hard rains, left the loaded shotgun or rifle in the basement for the following week, hunted the next weekend, then upon leaving the woods in the dark on the last night fired the weapon. I have never had a misfire. Don't know if the card wad played a part or not, but I KNOW FOR CERTAIN, it doesn't hurt me................

waksupi
03-08-2007, 12:07 AM
I use Starr's three card method with smoothbores, never even thought about using them with PRB's in a rifle! I have used over powder cards with PRB in the smoothies, but haven't did all that much testing, to see if they really helped.

fatnhappy
03-08-2007, 12:27 AM
I've never used a wad with PRB, I personally don't see any advantage for my hunting conditions.

spottedpony
03-09-2007, 04:35 PM
probably more important than patch shape is thickness, and finding the right ball/patch combination. usually a tight ball patch combo will shoot more accurately. As for wads, some like them some dont. In some cases they can improve accuracy to some degree, particularly in the case of light patch material that either burns, or is cut by rifling. the wad then seals the bore preventing gas from escaping around the projectile. another advantage to lubed wads, is they seem to help get rid of powder fouling better as they "scrape" the barrel with each shot, and using a lubed wad, helps keep residual fouling softer. ive seen felt and cardboard wads both used, as well as just a normal piece of patch material wadded up and seated over the powder before loading the prb.
also alot of bp revolver shooters use a lubed patch under the ball to help prevent chain fires.
in short, try it and see if it helps, if not nothing lost but some time and powder, and you've had fun trying it.