PDA

View Full Version : Have we all got our musket balls?

lovedogs
03-07-2007, 07:50 PM
Just to get something on the lighter side I'll ask a question that will, nowadays, be humorous.

Do any of you remember a few years ago reading about some of the old original laws in the colonies when we became a nation? I believe it was in an issue of
The American Rifleman.

I can't quote it verbatum from memory but one of those laws was that to vote in this new republic you had to come to your polling place with your musket, powder, and musket balls for same in hand. If you weren't ready to defend this country with your gun you weren't allowed to vote. Supposedly, according to the article, this law is still on the books and still in effect. I wonder what would happen if we showed up at our polling places armed? I bet you'd get quickly ushered off to the jailhouse.

Man, that'd be great though. The anti-gunners, not having any guns, couldn't vote. This would still be America, the Land of the Free! What a revelation. All those who've been voting since then who didn't bring their arsenal have been voting illegally. Wow!

dubber123
03-07-2007, 08:30 PM
That would be great! I'd just have trouble picking my "votin' gun". There is supposedly still a law on the books here in Vt. that says you must bring your rifle to church on sundays. I guess the idea was to prevent the masses from gathering unarmed, and therefore being susceptable to an attack. Neat topic, thanks!

madcaster
03-07-2007, 08:34 PM
Capital ideal!
yesterday's ideals are still great as we have come down through time.

357maximum
03-07-2007, 09:59 PM
I like it

the laws the law, I would be inclined to push the issue, but where I live it would proably go unnoticed in the old one room school house that has become our polling place...If I recieved more than a strange look I would be amazed.....

Maybe some of you big city folks with money to fight the unjust could carry that torch for all of us.

joatmon
03-08-2007, 02:14 AM
I like it! I vote in a school ( no school on election day ) The old law should preempt the new one.

Freightman
03-08-2007, 10:41 AM
The CCW carriers were encouraged to carry at church as we had some mugging of somm of the older members. Had no more when the news got out.
Wonder Why?

Ricochet
03-08-2007, 12:29 PM
I've got an old Dixie mould for .720" balls, but no musket. Yet.

Jack Stanley
03-08-2007, 09:21 PM
Musket ?? ....hmmmmmm ... smoothbore right ? I was hoping I could make the Garand my voting day gun but I'll just hafta use the 870 with the long mag and ported barrel [smilie=1:

Jack

TAWILDCATT
03-11-2007, 09:10 PM
why don't the gun owners get a copy of your state constitution.you would be amazed at what is in it.since it doesn't suit the present polititions they ignore it.make them enforce the state constitution.

Old Ironsights
03-12-2007, 10:45 AM
You are referring to the Militia Act of 1792.

http://www.constitution.org/mil/mil_act_1792.htm

It was ammended slightly in (IIRC) 1883 but it has never been repealed.

Just to get something on the lighter side I'll ask a question that will, nowadays, be humorous.

Do any of you remember a few years ago reading about some of the old original laws in the colonies when we became a nation? I believe it was in an issue of
The American Rifleman.

I can't quote it verbatum from memory but one of those laws was that to vote in this new republic you had to come to your polling place with your musket, powder, and musket balls for same in hand. If you weren't ready to defend this country with your gun you weren't allowed to vote. Supposedly, according to the article, this law is still on the books and still in effect. I wonder what would happen if we showed up at our polling places armed? I bet you'd get quickly ushered off to the jailhouse.

Man, that'd be great though. The anti-gunners, not having any guns, couldn't vote. This would still be America, the Land of the Free! What a revelation. All those who've been voting since then who didn't bring their arsenal have been voting illegally. Wow!

sundog
03-12-2007, 02:17 PM
Yes. I am ready. Actually, I'll be ready in a minute. [Rifled] Musket, ball, cap (no flints), and powder.

I found it very interesting that a man's [required] arms, ammunition, and accoutrements were held exempt form suits, distresses, executions or sales, for debt or for the payment of taxes. (Last sentence of Article 1).

That in and of itself is an admonition from our Federal Government that not only is there a 'right', but also an 'obligation'. They INTENDED for people to have arms.

Also, did you notice that there is an overt recognition to care for wounded and disabled, and expilicit exemptions for certain catagories of persons.

Thanks for the link. sundog

Scrounger
03-12-2007, 02:25 PM
Yes. I am ready. Actually, I'll be ready in a minute. [Rifled] Musket, ball, cap (no flints), and powder.

I found it very interesting that a man's [required] arms, ammunition, and accoutrements were held exempt form suits, distresses, executions or sales, for debt or for the payment of taxes. (Last sentence of Article 1).

That in and of itself is an admonition from our Federal Government that not only is there a 'right', but also an 'obligation'. They INTENDED for people to have arms.

Also, did you notice that there is an overt recognition to care for wounded and disabled, and expilicit exemptions for certain catagories of persons.

Thanks for the link. sundog

I wonder if "exempt from suits" includes divorce?

Old Ironsights
03-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Heh. Specifically to meet the Militia Act Requirements (the Bayonette & Tomahawk, also black plastic & stainless steel are not shown...)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y180/MrMisanthrope/IMG_5011.jpg

Stainless Steel and Black Plastic Externally Ignited Caseless Ammunition .50 Assault/Sniper Rifle and Pistol. ;) Complete with DeSantis Possibles Bag holding tools & extra Flints, and almost 2 lbs of 3F in the non-breakable "Alumihorn". :mrgreen:

sundog
03-12-2007, 02:51 PM
Scrounger, nowadays if you as much as get a restraining order slapped on your keester even prior to a divorce, and the sheriff will show up looking for them (the guns that is), to confiscate. How did everything get so turned around? sundog

AZ-Stew
03-12-2007, 05:19 PM
Seems Arizona law is out of kilter with Federal, then.

It is illegal to get within 75 feet of a polling place during an election when carrying a firearm.

Regards,

Stew

lovedogs
03-13-2007, 10:08 PM
Sounds like all us red-blooded Americans have it figured out. Now if we could bring charges against all the politicians who are violating their oaths to uphold the Constitution and get them thrown out we might stand a chance at becoming a free people again.