PDA

View Full Version : wad cutter help

duckndawg
01-16-2012, 11:31 AM
Howdy fellas I'm in need of some education. A cowboy club I will be shooting at has a side match shooting paper targets for score. The revolver has to be shot duelist style at 7-10 yards. The targets have various items on them you shoot at. IE coins, cards, candles etc. I use 125 gr. tc boolits as my main match ammo. I would like to use wadcutters or semi wadcutters. But don't know which to use, rules state the boolit can't be seated below case mouth so I'm gonna guess semi. Also are the wadcutter style best tumble lubed? I'm ignorant on this subject.
Thanks
DAWG

runfiverun
01-16-2012, 11:44 AM
the 358477 is a very accurate swc.
just size/lube as normal.
i used it as my revolver boolit when shooting cowboy anyways.
i'd try what i had on hand on some paper first though it might help cut some time on the other side.

fecmech
01-16-2012, 11:47 AM
Easy, just seat the wadcutter above the case mouth. Many cast wadcutters have a crimp groove that leaves about 1/8" above the mouth of the case normally.

williamwaco
01-16-2012, 12:30 PM
Easy, just seat the wadcutter above the case mouth. Many cast wadcutters have a crimp groove that leaves about 1/8" above the mouth of the case normally.

Some wadcutters are double ended with a "point" that extends out of the case.

Here is an inexpensive double ended type.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918675/lee-2-cavity-bullet-mold-tl358-148-wc-38-special-357-magnum-38-colt-new-police-358-diameter-148-grain-tumble-lube-wadcutter

Crimp in the top grease grove. and tumble lube with Lee Liquid Alox or Rooster Jacket. You will be happy with the results.

Be aware that at the range you are shooting, bullet design is totally irrelevant unless you need something special to abide by the rules of the match.

If the matches are timed, Low recoil is desirable and would argue for the lightest bullet that is "legal" according to the rules.

Larry Gibson
01-16-2012, 01:40 PM
If you want to cast your own then the Lee mould williamwaco recommends is a good one. I suggest it be cast of 40-1 lead - tin alloy, sized .359 or .360 and loaded over 2.7 gr Bullseye. Seat it to the second lube groove with a very light taper crimp and it should pass the "extend out the case" rule. It should prove very accurate also.

The Speer HBWC seated to the first canalure groove with the same laod is also a very good alternative if you do not want to cast your own.

Larry Gibson