PDA

View Full Version : Magma Stuff

LAH
06-23-2005, 10:40 PM
My dual 40's. A Master Pot and Master Caster. These are mounted with the pour spouts close to 55 inches. I cast while standing.

HTRN
06-23-2005, 11:01 PM
You're teasing me, aren't you?:wink:

I've got something like twenty magma style molds waiting for me to come up with the scratch for a master caster....

It isn't nice to torment those less fortunate! :mrgreen:

HTRN

LAH
06-25-2005, 03:04 PM
I've two Master Casters and Master Pot. The pots in the picture are the newer ones. They use the band type heaters. My older Master Caster uses the rod type heaters.

You may as well break out some coin and get you one. I bought both my MC used.

GLL
06-25-2005, 03:52 PM
Creeker:

I looked at a Magma Master Pot like those you illustrated but it did not have the blower unit. Is that an "extra"? Is its primary purpose to cool down the mould quickly for the next cycle?

Is there any advantage to the rod vs. band heater units ?

Jerry

LAH
06-25-2005, 04:48 PM
Jerry the blower is the same as the one used on the Master Caster. Remember the pot used on the Master Caster and Master Pot is the same. It's purpose on the MC is to cool the sprue and mould thus speeding up the dump cycle. I installed on one the Master Pot (it fits perfectly) and use it for the same purpose. I don't use it a lot but in some cases and with some combos of moulds, it's works great.

The band type heater is easier to replace and heats quicker.

HTRN
06-26-2005, 12:16 PM
I'd love to spring for the Master Caster, but money is tight at the moment and I'll be unemployed as of Friday.

I've got a bead on a job at Costco(don't laugh, it will probably pay more than my current job making wire guides!) so if it works out, I'm gonna order one in the fall.

HTRN

ddixie884
07-11-2005, 11:59 PM
Creeker, What do you use for "Keith style molds"? Just wondered where a person could get a "genuine" example.

omgb
07-13-2005, 01:17 AM
Creeker, I just recently picked up a Browning M53 in 32-20 and I'm going to need some bullets. I may buy a mould eventually but until then I'm shopping. What do have around 100 grains with a flat meplat that comes out at .314? Now a techinical question; do 30 cal gas checks fit these .314 bullets?
R J TAlley

LAH
07-19-2005, 09:46 AM
Creeker, What do you use for "Keith style molds"? Just wondered where a person could get a "genuine" example.

I use two Lyman 429421 4 cavity moulds. One was cut 2002, the other 2003. These are very close copies. The difference being the rear driving band is .100 while the middle and front are .090. Minor difference but it lets them chamber in about any sixgun.

Another good mould and probably the closest copy is the Ballisti-Cast #1103. I like both the Lyman and BC better than the RCBS 44-250-K. They have shot better for us. JMHO.

LAH
07-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Creeker, I just recently picked up a Browning M53 in 32-20 and I'm going to need some bullets. I may buy a mould eventually but until then I'm shopping. What do have around 100 grains with a flat meplat that comes out at .314? Now a techinical question; do 30 cal gas checks fit these .314 bullets?
R J TAlley

The mould I'm using is the Magma 32-20 115 gr. RNFP. It has a nice meplat and is very accurate. The bullet cast 115 grs. from 92-6-2 and drops from the mould at .314. The "problem" for some, it's a bevel base. We are no longer doing custom casting and have sold the last of these.

Other we cast was the Lyman 311008. I hope that number is correct. It's a plain base SWC at 115 grs. People seem to like it also. I've shot neither as I don't own a 32. I'm tempted to try the Magma bullet in my ole 30-30 though 'casue it so good lookin.

Can't answer the gas check question.