PDA

View Full Version : SLICK50/duralube etc??

buck1
06-23-2005, 09:40 PM
My automotive backround is kicking in here. If these reduce friction in engines, will they condition a gun bbl?? I know these work to a point in auto engines. slick 50 has teflon and duralube has some other something. If I were to put some on a patch seesaw the rod, fire a few light loads and repeat a few times, would I be doing a good thing or just wasting my time?
Sometimes there is a fine line between a experimenter and a total idiot.
Has anyone tryed this? any thoughts?............buck

carpetman
06-24-2005, 12:35 AM
buck1--A fine line between a total idiot and an experimenter. Has anybody tried this? Yea I have. Been told many times I'd never be an experimenter.

Bass Ackward
06-24-2005, 06:17 AM
My automotive backround is kicking in here. If these reduce friction in engines, will they condition a gun bbl??

If I were to put some on a patch seesaw the rod, fire a few light loads and repeat a few times, would I be doing a good thing or just wasting my time?

Buck,

If you say in another post that your guns require a 10 shot blackbore before stabilization of conditions start, then why apply anything except your lube on a patch?

Dry or wet (preped) the bore has to settle in and stabilize. Now if you are asking about making lube with some of that stuff in it, now you have a different situation because the same amount is going to be applied every shot.

The problem with experimenting with new lubes after you develop high velocity loads (which I am assuming is the intent) is that lube can take you right out of the game. An example is that an aquaintance was working on a HV load. His lube was producing 6" groups with almost everything until he dry patched between each shot. He was overlubed with that particular design. Once he softened his bullets, things came right in. Because a soft bullet requires or uses up more lube.

But it can work the other way too. You may pass the load of a lifetime and not know it because you are leading on every shot until you go to a super slick lube. You just never know. And this is probably the biggest reason that HV loads are so hard to translate from one rifle to the next or why 1800 fps is so popular. Guys in the 50s used to shoot HV on a pretty regular occurance with the lubes in their day. (Just look at a Lyman manual of that period.) The bullets of that period were designed to carry what was needed in quantity of these lower quality lubes. Today's superior lubes almost always result in over lubrication. And because most people are scared of HV, they immediately reach for 85 BHN bullets to .... avoid leading and find an over lubed condition at every turn. Or they get a modern bullet design like an LBT that is designed to carry less lube and lead early trying to use NRA formula.

You have to be able to .... recognize .... to adapt. Felix always tells people to taylor their lube to the particular application. What people don't understand is how many variables that statement takes into account. For an experienced cast shooter that understands, this is true. But a novice is better off starting out with one lube that has a reputation for success and learning from there. From my experience, the easiest road to success is to find a lube that suits your purpose, and work around it's limitations. (harder or softer bullets, higher or lower pressure) Then once you have the load, fine tune lube. But then I feel comfortable shooting a softer bullet at higher velocities than most.

Trailblazer
06-24-2005, 10:02 AM
I am using a lube made from Slick 50 and it works fine for most of my purposes. I have heard that teflon is not good for rifle bores. My rifles also seem to copper foul worse when shooting jacketed bullets after cast bullets even when I clean before shooting jacketed. I read that teflon causes more copper fouling and that may be the reason.

I am going to use up the lube I have but I am not going to make any more with Slick 50.

StarMetal
06-24-2005, 10:27 AM
I too use this stuff to make my lube and it's what I accomplished my very high velocity shooting with. I don't get anymore copper fouling from using it then if I didn't. I can't see how Teflon, a practically non stick to type of material, could promote copper to adhere to the barrel more.

Joe

felix
06-24-2005, 11:16 AM
Joe, it's the fluorine gas that is generated by heating teflon too much. It does not take too much gas to do an etching job, so make sure your teflon is well buffered. This gas apparently got to the bore of those guns that load up with copper. No problem, just buff the bore down with simichrome, flitz, etc. ... felix

buck1
06-24-2005, 03:53 PM
I was thinking along the lines of a bronze bushing. That it, the bushing has a lube quality of it own.
So I was thinking I could make my BBL have a lube quality of it own too.

I am running out of lube with the 30-165-sil RCBS bullet at about 25 bhn with +carnuba felix lube, @2400fps. It does not have a lot of lube grove. I must add that nothing else tryed so far can keep up with FWFL, not 50/50, LBT,etc.
2500FPS was my goal. I am so close I can taste it!! But groups turn in to shotgun patterns after 2400FPS.
I see where the lube would be between the bbl and the bullet, so the slick 50 thing is most likely not going to work on the bbl anyway.
But a lubed patch as bass mentioned may hold the answer! I may cook up some of star meatals recipe and give it a go.
Well it was worth asking about!! thanks to all ....Buck
PS rookie yes , Novice no ! LOL ( Im hooked!!)

StarMetal
06-24-2005, 04:45 PM
buck1

My lube made from Slick 50 One Grease and beeswax surpasses Felix lube. I shot my 7mm-08 to 2700 fps with absolutely no leading at all. That's not so say Felix lube isn't as good because I haven't used it. To be honest it may be the user that causes leading, not necessarily the lube. From what I'ver heard Felix lube is really good stuff.

Joe

44man
06-24-2005, 04:50 PM
Nothing works as good as FWFL in any of my applications. I would never try to overlube a bore as this has proven to reduce accuracy. Even moly will coat a bore too much and is very hard to remove. There seems to be a certain amount of friction needed for accuracy. I have proven this in muzzle loaders. The best barrel makers always said a bore can be shot too smooth. The old timers would put urine in a bore overnight to gain back accuracy but I won't go this far. I have used white vinegar to etch a barrel back to shooting condition. Buffing with Scotch-Brite will also do it. There is a fine point where a boolit will take the rifling or skid across it and tumble.
Even a small amount of leading can increase accuracy.
This is not as much of a problem with condom bullets as they have more friction.
Listen to Felix!

buck1
06-25-2005, 02:46 AM
buck1

My lube made from Slick 50 One Grease and beeswax surpasses Felix lube. I shot my 7mm-08 to 2700 fps with absolutely no leading at all. That's not so say Felix lube isn't as good because I haven't used it. To be honest it may be the user that causes leading, not necessarily the lube. From what I'ver heard Felix lube is really good stuff.

Joe

star, 50/50 mix ??

carpetman
06-25-2005, 05:02 AM
I have shot .243 2900 fps with FWFBL and no leading.

StarMetal
06-25-2005, 10:48 AM
buck1

Definately not 50/50. If you did it that way you would have some mighty soft and messy lube. Also you don't need that much lubricity. Just a little bit of Slick 50 and ATF oil and the rest beeswax. I just make this stuff in my own way and don't really have scientific measurements. You will just have to experiment with it. All I know is the stuff is really good. The only thing I have against Felix's lube is the ingredients are not easily readily availiable and you have to take care to make it, that is not overheat it, and you have to have a stearate to homogenized the componants.

Joe

felix
06-25-2005, 10:55 AM
If I remember correctly, that lube you bought has about 8 percent calcium stearate. You are not using that in the mix? ... felix

StarMetal
06-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Felix

If you mean my lube, no, not using a stearate and it blends beautiful and has no separation at all.

Joe

buck1
06-26-2005, 12:45 AM
""have shot .243 2900 fps with FWFBL and no leading.""
WOW!!! I wouldnt have thought it possiable!! Thats outstanding!!(poor kitty)LOL!

star,thanks I will give it a go! as soon as I can find that grease.!! ....buck

carpetman
06-26-2005, 12:53 AM
buck1----Haven't tried the .243 at 2900 on cats,but it didnt work worth a beaver construction project on a spike buck I tried it on.

Scrounger
06-26-2005, 08:59 AM
buck1----Haven't tried the .243 at 2900 on cats,but it didnt work worth a beaver construction project on a spike buck I tried it on.

That 2900 FPS load wouldn't leave enough to make your jerky with...

StarMetal
06-26-2005, 10:51 AM
buck1....only place that I found that sells the grease is Walmart.

Joe

buck1
06-26-2005, 12:43 PM
buck1....only place that I found that sells the grease is Walmart.

Joe
Thanks Joe! Wally world here I come.,,,Buck

wills
06-26-2005, 01:34 PM
Are there petroleum products in that?

felix
06-26-2005, 01:41 PM
Yes, in the slick 50. ... felix

StarMetal
06-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Felix,

Nope, don't use any stearate and the first batch I made was quite some while ago and no signs of aging or separating.

Joe

StarMetal
06-26-2005, 03:12 PM
Yes there are some petroleum products in it and when I make my lube I add more by adding the ATF oil.

Joe

Pop_No_Kick
06-29-2005, 12:01 AM
Thank ya'll For All the great Info My First Cast in
38 spec. 158 gr. SWC , 8.5 IMR 4227
Colt Official Police (1952) 4" Barrel

I Got Consistant results, Better than ANY Store bought Ammo Ever.!
Ya'll Sold Me !

Again Thanx's to all For the Posing Ya'll Did !!

__________________________________________________ ________

It's Always Easier To Be Wise AFTER The Fact.