PDA

View Full Version : Blood Pressure Medicine

Pigslayer
01-14-2012, 05:56 PM
For most of my life I was one of those guys who had BP that some would kill for . . . always about 118/72. As time went on it inched up along with my weight. As I mentioned in another post, I was put on Lisinopril a couple of years back & due to an allergic reaction I blacked out behind the wheel at 65mph. Yea, you know the rest. I was ordered off the Lisinopril by the heart Dr. and since my BP was only borderline high, I was kept off from it.
Recently things have changed & I must take a BP medicine. I was put on Losartan and it works very well (BP 120/78) without all those crazy side-effects of Lisinopril. But it seems that it makes me tired/unmotivated. Was wondering if anyone else has used this drug & experienced these effects?

runfiverun
01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
i havent used that one.
i tried one asinopril [sp?] that gave me the worst muscle spasms everywhere arms,neck,hands etc..
went to hctz [hydrochlorothiazide].
it's cheap and a diuretic but it works.

mroliver77
01-14-2012, 06:11 PM
Most of the BP meds knock me off kilter. The hctz ans Doxazosin I handle pretty well. A lot of them can affect your libido and make other things not work real well.:groner: I had to argue with Doc and try many diferent meds before finding something tolerable.

Roundnoser
01-14-2012, 06:17 PM
I don't take any BP medication, and I'm still tired / unmotivated!:shock:

shooter93
01-14-2012, 07:17 PM
I have never had problems at all with the BP meds I take. Talk to you doc....many of the old BP medications are very effective with fewer side effects as oppossed to the latest and greatest. And less money too.

cdet69
01-14-2012, 07:22 PM
I am on Lisinopril and it was one of the few meds that actualy worked for me. No side effects like you had though. When I first started using it I was tired and lazy but it eventualy whent away. The doctors say this is common with all types of blood pressure meds.

felix
01-14-2012, 07:37 PM
They mess with opening/closing of blood vessels and/or heart pumping (rpm and/or torque or both) more than anything else. Because of that, oxygen flow will be different. How much different determines how you feel: more/less energy. Low energy below a threshold means sleepy. Not really a side effect, but intent. When the effects start going away, then it's for sure time to have a look at another one. No need for another one if the BP remains stable and in range for your personal psychic as well as for physicals. ... felix

LEADHOPPER
01-14-2012, 07:46 PM
I am on Diovan Hct, and know that if I stand up too fast I get really light headed. Sometimes to the point that I think I might fall over. All BP meds have pro's and con's. I can deal with a little dizzy spell now and again, but man am I a cheap drunk. Mine intensifies the effects of alcohol. One beer is like two, and two is like four. So I guess on the plus side I don't have to buy as much beer.

jsizemore
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
I'm on my third change of BP meds. The listless feeling goes away shortly but most things ain't quite as important as they used to be. If you get on the HCTZ keep hydrated and know where the bathroom is and be prepared to wake up every couple of hours. A nap in the afternoon is a good thing.

oneokie
01-14-2012, 07:47 PM
I have never had problems at all with the BP meds I take. Talk to you doc....many of the old BP medications are very effective with fewer side effects as oppossed to the latest and greatest. And less money too.

Good advice there.

Tried 14 other BP meds before starting the one I am taking now. It works and I can function.

Ole
01-14-2012, 08:10 PM
What are the circumstances that caused your weight gain/BP spike?

Last April, doc wanted me to go on HBP and cholesterol meds, I started riding my bike 5-6x/week and my BP and other bloodwork has improved a ton.

Losing weight/exercising more/eating better will always be the best first option. It takes more "work" but has lots fewer side effects.

Pigslayer
01-14-2012, 08:16 PM
What are the circumstances that caused your weight gain/BP spike?

Last April, doc wanted me to go on HBP and cholesterol meds, I started riding my bike 5-6x/week and my BP and other bloodwork has improved a ton.

Losing weight/exercising more/eating better will always be the best first option. It takes more "work" but has lots fewer side effects.

I really just don't get the needed exercise. I'm up at 5AM & out the door at 5:30AM running service calls. In the service truck a lot of the time. I roll back in at about 5PM. It's a long day at that point. Time to stop.:groner:

Ole
01-14-2012, 08:23 PM
I really just don't get the needed exercise. I'm up at 5AM & out the door at 5:30AM running service calls. In the service truck a lot of the time. I roll back in at about 5PM. It's a long day at that point. Time to stop.:groner:

Try getting up @ 4:15 and walking/biking/swimming for 30-40 minutes before your day starts. (You time is very rewarding)

I doubt you'd need BP meds at all if you did cardio 4-5 times a week.

Pigslayer
01-14-2012, 08:28 PM
Try getting up @ 4:15 and walking/biking/swimming for 30-40 minutes before your day starts. (You time is very rewarding)

I doubt you'd need BP meds at all if you did cardio 4-5 times a week.

You're probably right.

Ole
01-14-2012, 08:29 PM
You're probably right.

:drinks:

I've grown to cherish my bike riding time. It's my time to think and let my mind roam.

casterofboolits
01-14-2012, 09:55 PM
I've taken Lisinopril for years with nary a problem.

DIRT Farmer
01-14-2012, 10:18 PM
My B/P was getting toward the dangerous levals the when I retired from the hospital it went to low/normal levals. That proves that Drs and hospitals cause hypertension. I was also able to quit smoking. Do they cause smoking to?

btroj
01-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Some of the fatigue is due to the bodies inability to increase blood pressure at times of exertion. This causes you to fatigue much quicker. Some of these mess also interrupt the bodies natural mechanisms of constricting blood vessels to keep blood flow to the brain.

Drugs like the doxazosin mentioned are great at causing light headednesss upon standing. This is because the body can't keep blood flowing to the brain so you get dizzy. Key is to get up slowly or in stages. Sit up in bed, then swing legs over edge of bed, then slowly stand. Do this over 30 seconds or more if needed.

Some drugs also,have an effect on preventing the heart from beating as quickly. This also is a cause of fatigue upon exertion.

Many of these effects become reduced over a period of time. Has nothing to do with the efficacy of the med, your body just adapts to the med in times of need.

rsrocket1
01-14-2012, 10:31 PM
I was using Diovan, but when I was put on a new HMO, they said it was a "designer drug" and insisted that I use Lisinopril until my Dr. could justify that it didn't work. It worked probably just as well as Diovan.

You might want to check out Diovan. Or reload with a lot of high nitro content powders such as Bullseye. I heard that breathing in the nitroglycerin dust can lower your blood pressure just like meds do and give you headaches similar to caffeine withdrawals.

williamwaco
01-14-2012, 10:36 PM
I have been taking bp medicine for 40 years.
Many different drugs. I don't remember the names.
I have never had any memorable side effects from any of it.

I am now taking ExForge. I am told it is the "bunker buster". Since I retired three years ago I have been able to cut the dose in half.

You didn't mention it but I expect you are taking a diuretic. These will almost always cause a potassium diffiency and that will cause your muscles to be weak and tired.

Just remember, being tired and unmotivated is WAY better than having a stroke.

mooman76
01-14-2012, 11:17 PM
For most of my life I was one of those guys who had BP that some would kill for . . . always about 118/72. As time went on it inched up along with my weight. As I mentioned in another post, I was put on Lisinopril a couple of years back & due to an allergic reaction I blacked out behind the wheel at 65mph. Yea, you know the rest. I was ordered off the Lisinopril by the heart Dr. and since my BP was only borderline high, I was kept off from it.
Recently things have changed & I must take a BP medicine. I was put on Losartan and it works very well (BP 120/78) without all those crazy side-effects of Lisinopril. But it seems that it makes me tired/unmotivated. Was wondering if anyone else has used this drug & experienced these effects?

If you are taking your BP meds in the morning, try taking them at bed time instead. If it makes you tired then you sleep good and maybe by he next day you it won't hit you as hard.

wills
01-14-2012, 11:33 PM
For most of my life I was one of those guys who had BP that some would kill for . . . always about 118/72. As time went on it inched up along with my weight.

That may be tthe key to it right there, along with the coffee.

btroj
01-14-2012, 11:40 PM
Diet and excercise can help to keep blood pressure in check but it isn't a cure all. There are some very fit people who take blood pressure meds. The diet and excercise will however reduce your risk of heart disease.

Your body isn't a whole lot different from car. Without care and preventive maintenance it will be more likely to break down. Treat pur body right and it will work better and for longer.

Harter66
01-15-2012, 12:52 AM
My BP took a big jump about 10 yr ago . I went through all the diruretics. Wound up w/tenormin aka atenolol. Its a rate supresser I've had few side effects ,except a struggle w/weight control . The weight runs up and down about 20 lbs in any given month.

waksupi
01-15-2012, 02:43 AM
I've been on metaprolol for about five years. I used to be tired all the time, and take naps in the afternoon. Doc increased the dosage, and I am no longer tired all the time. It was common if driving any distance at all to have to pull over for a nap. I haven't done any long distance driving since the prescription change, but suspect it will not be a problem now.

Pigslayer
01-15-2012, 10:56 AM
Thanks to all that responded to my thread. Wish that I could do like some of you in biking and swimming. Due to my injuries from the accident there is no way I could take that. No, I could do those things, there would just be a lot of pain to deal with. That kind of pain would call for narcotics & I HATE narcotics! But on the overall I'm good . . . very good considering!
I eat good of course but I watch what I eat & how much. Pretty much stay away from all fast food with an exception once in a while. I like coffee but limit myself to one 12oz. per day & sometimes none at all. I may have two cups on a Sat. or Sun. morning.
Beer is something I could do without but I enjoy it. Since my accident I watch my bloodwork closely & every 6 mos. at that. Cholesterol levels are good & no sign of diabetes. I do take vitamins at the recommendation of my Dr..
This has turned out to be a very informative thread and am glad that I started it. My biggest reason for starting this thread was my fear of adverse side effects like I had from Lisinopril. I'd never make through another head on collision.

felix
01-15-2012, 11:19 AM
Me too, Ric, metaprolol. ... felix

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-15-2012, 11:39 AM
Make your doc change things up till you find something you BOTH can live with.
He does work for you after all. I was on Lisinipril for a while as well, gave me a dry nagging cough all the time. A change to Enalipril cured that, keeps my minor high BP under control and helps protect my diabetic kidneys.

Down South
01-15-2012, 11:47 AM
Yeah, I used to have great BP too. I guess age and job stress took care of that. I take Exforge. The only problem that I ever had with it was The Doc prescribed too high of a dosage and it gave me a dry cough. The Doc cut the dosage and the cough went away.

The Dove
01-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Sorry I can't help you with other meds but I've been on Lisinopril since I was 24 years old. I'm now 43. I am in good condition and always have been. Currently 6' and weigh 200 lbs. It's hereditary according to the Doc's. Anyway, like stated several times above, talk to your Doc. If you have BP problems you need to get it corrected.....

I had a Doc tell me years ago that some BP meds will effect you below the belt if you get what I'm talking about. Don't let that get you down just keep trying new meds and be honest with your Doc.

Hope this helps amigo. Good luck!

The Dove

Johnk454
01-15-2012, 08:01 PM
Unfortunately, I know this music all too well.

Suddenly developed very high BP at 38 y/o. As in 230/150. Tried many different meds, now at 49 y/o currently taking daily:

Norvasc 10mg
Losartan-HCTZ 100mg/12.5mg
Atenolol 100mg
Cardura 8mg
Catapres as needed, if it goes over 170
Potassium 40mg

Now it runs about 150/110.

Libido is so far unaffected. Probably because the BP meds don't seem to function as they should.

I'm certain mine started as work related; I had been on 24/7 call for 5yrs at that time. Now it seems to have taken root just because.

longhorn
01-15-2012, 08:21 PM
That "tired" feeling usually goes away within 2 to 3 weeks, and its absence doesn't mean the drug has stopped working. We simply don't know why most hypertensive patients are hypertensive. It's not at all unusual for a patient to be on low doses of 3, 4, even 5 medicines, all with different mechanisms of action, for high blood pressure.

from your friendly, non-local, pharmacist.

wallenba
01-15-2012, 08:33 PM
I'm on Lisinopril and a diuretic called Amiloride. The Lisinopril works for me, but if your doctor suggests a diuretic think twice. It keeps you near the bathroom and if your like me, you may not be able to urinate normally without it after long term use.

GT27
01-15-2012, 09:04 PM
Metaprolol here too,libido non existent anymore,take Atenolol also. Stay tired majority of the time ,BP is usually good, also take Rhythmol for AFIB sucks getting older,but better than the alternative!!:violin:

Charlie Two Tracks
01-15-2012, 09:29 PM
I've used Diltiazem now for a few years. I take it at night. When I was taking it in the morning, it made me pretty tired for the first few hours.

Marvin S
01-15-2012, 11:08 PM
I have been using Inopran XL for several years with pretty good results.

rockrat
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
Was on Lisinopril, but because of the thyroid meds, had some problems. Doc switched me to atenolol and things are OK, except for the libido thing. Doc says gotta get the thyroid thing straightened out before go on to anything else.

I do take 10mg of lisinopril at night and do notice I have to get up about 3AM to hit the bathroom, so must have some diuretic effect with it.:(

sparky45
01-15-2012, 11:37 PM
I've been on Atenolol and Metroprolol both, but NEVER at the same time. I am now on Bystolic, seems to control my heart rate quite well.

waksupi
01-16-2012, 01:59 AM
The metaprolol doesn't bother my libido. Can still pound nails. Hurts, though.

evan price
01-16-2012, 02:38 AM
I was high-normal BP for all my life until suddenly I started spiking high. Within two years I was hitting 190/110 and that was just sitting in the Dr's office getting checked. Having headaches, black spots in my vision sometimes, random nosebleeds, stuff like that. Cholesterol was high normal, no diabetes problems, everything else was fine. I was already taking antidepressants and had cycled through 3-4 of them and settled on Cymbalta. I am a fairly inacitve guy at work but I am very active at home and even got back into bike riding.

They wound up putting me on Losartan for the BP but it seemed to not do much at all. It took the edge off but I was running in the high 170/100 range at rest.

Well I was also tired all the time and falling asleep at inappropriate times. Muscle and joint aches that even double doses of glucosamine chondroitin and 4 Tylenol didn't fix. Mood problems, libido problems, weight gain, etc. I work nights - four nights a week- plus I run my own little oeprations at home, plus kids and wife and all that entails, so I thought it was just my burning the candle at both ends plus the middle. I only sleep 6 nights a week and average about 6-7 hours per sleep so I actually sleep maybe 40 hours a week tops over seven days and rotate back to first shift sleep schedule when I am off.

Turns out I had undiagnosed severe obstructive sleep apnea. Mrs. Price finally told me why she would sneak off to bed and leave me on the couch- because if she wasn't asleep before me, my snoring kept her awake. And she noticed I'd stop breathing for 2-3 minutes at a time. Then gasp myself awake. And repeat.

Sleep study showed my blood O2 percents were down in the 75% and I was getting zero REM sleep. Hypopneias and 'incidents' 4-5 times an hour and they terminated my sleep study because I was in distress- BP spiked at 220/110 & pulse ox 74% during the last hour and they woke me up.

Now I use a CPAP and have reduced my anti-depressants to a minimal level. Still taking the Losartan but my resting BP was 140/84 last DR visit and I hadn't had my daily dose yet.

I take my meds in the morning because I sleep during the day, and I notice that it makes me sleepy, like sitting in front of a warm fire sipping bourbon sleepy. I think it's because my Cymbalta slows down my brain, and my Losartan slows down my heart, and that makes it easier to fall asleep. Speaking of booze, these drugs have played heck with my tolerance to booze, I'm now a cheap drunk. 2-3 drinks and I can feel it. Didn't used to until I had 6 at least.

Still once I got this figured out, I'm a whole new man. I have energy, tackle projects, and get stuff done again, and the past three-four years all I wanted to do was sit in the armchair and die. I figured I was over 40 and overweight and tired all the time and if this was as bad as it was now, what will it be like in twenty years??

Thank God it was all correctable, and for Mrs. Price figuring it out. The Dr. said I would have a stroke or a heart attack in the next couple of years running that high BP uncorrected and without REM sleep I was falling asleep driving. Could have taken somebody else out.

waksupi
01-16-2012, 03:33 AM
I also have apnea, and did some research on it, since I have very limited funds. I found that double sided mouth guard like is used in sports, was my solution. For me, it works great, and is very portable for camping and such. I think a lot of doctors put a person on a cpap because it is easy, but expensive. They apparently don't want to try the cheap and easy solution first. I no longer wake myself up snoring, and get a real solid sleep, with REM periods included.

Pigslayer
01-16-2012, 10:47 AM
I was high-normal BP for all my life until suddenly I started spiking high. Within two years I was hitting 190/110 and that was just sitting in the Dr's office getting checked. Having headaches, black spots in my vision sometimes, random nosebleeds, stuff like that. Cholesterol was high normal, no diabetes problems, everything else was fine. I was already taking antidepressants and had cycled through 3-4 of them and settled on Cymbalta. I am a fairly inacitve guy at work but I am very active at home and even got back into bike riding.

They wound up putting me on Losartan for the BP but it seemed to not do much at all. It took the edge off but I was running in the high 170/100 range at rest.

Well I was also tired all the time and falling asleep at inappropriate times. Muscle and joint aches that even double doses of glucosamine chondroitin and 4 Tylenol didn't fix. Mood problems, libido problems, weight gain, etc. I work nights - four nights a week- plus I run my own little oeprations at home, plus kids and wife and all that entails, so I thought it was just my burning the candle at both ends plus the middle. I only sleep 6 nights a week and average about 6-7 hours per sleep so I actually sleep maybe 40 hours a week tops over seven days and rotate back to first shift sleep schedule when I am off.

Turns out I had undiagnosed severe obstructive sleep apnea. Mrs. Price finally told me why she would sneak off to bed and leave me on the couch- because if she wasn't asleep before me, my snoring kept her awake. And she noticed I'd stop breathing for 2-3 minutes at a time. Then gasp myself awake. And repeat.

Sleep study showed my blood O2 percents were down in the 75% and I was getting zero REM sleep. Hypopneias and 'incidents' 4-5 times an hour and they terminated my sleep study because I was in distress- BP spiked at 220/110 & pulse ox 74% during the last hour and they woke me up.

Now I use a CPAP and have reduced my anti-depressants to a minimal level. Still taking the Losartan but my resting BP was 140/84 last DR visit and I hadn't had my daily dose yet.

I take my meds in the morning because I sleep during the day, and I notice that it makes me sleepy, like sitting in front of a warm fire sipping bourbon sleepy. I think it's because my Cymbalta slows down my brain, and my Losartan slows down my heart, and that makes it easier to fall asleep. Speaking of booze, these drugs have played heck with my tolerance to booze, I'm now a cheap drunk. 2-3 drinks and I can feel it. Didn't used to until I had 6 at least.

Still once I got this figured out, I'm a whole new man. I have energy, tackle projects, and get stuff done again, and the past three-four years all I wanted to do was sit in the armchair and die. I figured I was over 40 and overweight and tired all the time and if this was as bad as it was now, what will it be like in twenty years??

Thank God it was all correctable, and for Mrs. Price figuring it out. The Dr. said I would have a stroke or a heart attack in the next couple of years running that high BP uncorrected and without REM sleep I was falling asleep driving. Could have taken somebody else out.

That's a very big "ditto" here. After surgery due to my neck fracture I contracted chronic sleep apnea. I guess they had to move a lot of things around in getting to the C2 vertebrae. I have a cpap machine and it works well. I use it every night. I was on Cymbalta but it really never worked well except for moderating temper. Back on Paxil now. Waiting for it to kick in.
I stop in at the local drug store several nights per week to take my BP. It's in the very normal range now. Thank God. I thought that the cpap machine would bring my BP down but it didn't. Even though according to the sleep study I was only getting 25% of the oxygen needed. One thing very good about the cpap is that my ability to digest food has vastly improved and I no longer have acid reflux! Really glad that I quit smoking 15 years ago. I'm going to do as another poster reccommended & take my meds at night. Probably go a long way to eliminating this tired, unmotivated feeling.

Wayne Smith
01-16-2012, 02:13 PM
Over the past two years, since being diagnosed diabetic type 2 I pushed diet and exercise. I had high BP, high cholesterol, my triglycerides were out of whack, and I was overweight. I dropped the weight, and am now still pushing the diet and exercise and off the BP meds, the Cholesterol meds, and the trigliceride meds, all my numbers were within normal limits the Tues. after Christmas.

Diet and exercise work for me.

ErikO
01-16-2012, 03:35 PM
I've been off my lisinopril and diovan (yep, was on both) for almost a six months and so far my BP is lower than it was in the past. Guess a combination of 'group therapy', walking more and a better/less stressful job have done their work.

I'm getting a blood test next week to see how my levels are doing. Here's hoping I can stay off of Lipitor.

I've got OSA and Type II diabetes as well. Fortunately I got a good CPAP when I had better durable medical insurance so now I just buy hoses, masks and filters. Now to keep my glucose levels below 200 and I'll do much better with everything else.

Johnk454
01-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Unfortunately, the OSA diagnosis and CPAP didn't help my BP. It DID help my overall tiredness, tho.

Diet and exercise helps, but some folks are just (genetic) toast.

quilbilly
01-16-2012, 09:14 PM
I have been taking HCT and Lisenopril for a couple with no ill effects luckily. I did notice that my general attitude toward life improved due to either the drugs or the lower blood pressure which was a good thing.

birddog
01-16-2012, 09:31 PM
Pigslayer,
Sounds to me that you have an option with your BP, that would be diet and exercise. As for me I have been told since age 16 that my BP was to high and I needed to do something about it. Hence 30 yrs later and still the same 160#'s that I graduated with and running 3 miles a day Doc says my cholesterol is to high and I need to do something, SOOO I cut the red meat and fats and more fish and salads and drop to 145#'s and everyone says you look like ****. Well after 7 months of this torture I told
Doc its time for drugs. cause this **** ain't working. Antenol and Crestor have been great to me so far. But the day will come when the liver or kidneys say this stuff is bad and they'll quit working and so on. You get the picture. Just me rambling on about the health issues. My BP and cholesterol are both genetic *****s from my parents and I can't change it. Good Luck and just enjoy life.:wink::wink:

ErikO
01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a few of us can't camp without either a generator keeping other folks awake or us keeping other folks awake. :)

Tom-ADC
01-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I take a combo pill Lisinopril and Hydrochlorothiazide other then I now have allegories which I've never had before, side effect I'm told, but B/P 115/72.

jcwit
01-17-2012, 05:09 PM
I take a cocktail of drugs for B/P

Altenolol twice a day
Hydrochlorothiazide once a day
Lisinopril once a day
Terazosin once a day

But my B/P stays around 135/60

Plus with all my other meds, I'm tired all the time.

rockrat
01-17-2012, 05:18 PM
Bites getting older boys, doesn't it!!

Pigslayer
01-17-2012, 08:12 PM
Bites getting older boys, doesn't it!!

Yea, it sucks. But . . . we're still above ground.

Pigslayer
01-17-2012, 08:13 PM
I take a cocktail of drugs for B/P

Altenolol twice a day
Hydrochlorothiazide once a day
Lisinopril once a day
Terazosin once a day

But my B/P stays around 135/60

Plus with all my other meds, I'm tired all the time.

Wow! That's a lot. I have no reason to complain. This is a great thread! It's nice not to feel alone!
My list:
Losartan
Simvistatin
Vit. D supplements
Cymbalta
Paxil
Miller Beer

GT27
01-22-2012, 04:22 PM
A big problem with tiredness at our age is Testosterone, or lack of!! Can cause a lot of problems !Get your blood tested regularly, or you might get moobs!:shock::guntootsmiley:

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-22-2012, 04:58 PM
I've been following this thread. I am 46...been on BP meds on and off since I was 21.
for the last couple of years til last week, I've been on daily:
Norvasc
Diovan w/HCT
Aspirin

I never thought of some issues I was having as side effects til I read this thread.
I told the Doc...
he took me off of the Diovan w/HCT
and replaced it with Lisinopril
WHAT A PRICE DIFFERENCE !!!
and the side effects are slowly disappearing.

I hope the BP stays normal like it was before.
Thanks guys,
Jon

Wayne Smith
01-22-2012, 06:49 PM
I was taking asprin to deal with the flush from Niaspan. Both blood thinners. After a couple of years I noticed that I was bruising both when shooting and spontaneously. Then I had a nosebleed that took the emergency room 6.5 hours to stop. Went off both at that time. Don't need them now.

btroj
01-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Hey guys, keep taking the stuff. As a pharmacist I have a certain desire to retire!

My motto is "Get sick early, get sick often"!:bigsmyl2:

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Hey guys, keep taking the stuff. As a pharmacist I have a certain desire to retire!

My motto is "Get sick early, get sick often"!:bigsmyl2:

well with those diovan w/hct at about $3 a pill,
someone was sure gettin rich.

Charley
01-22-2012, 07:43 PM
well with those diovan w/hct at about $3 a pill,
someone was sure gettin rich.

Current cost to bring a drug to market is in the 100-150 million range. Company has a patent for just a relatively few years, then it goes generic. Somebody's got to pay R&D costs, and a decent return for the business.
Would it be better to drop all new drug development?

jcwit
01-22-2012, 07:43 PM

My motto is "Get sick early, get sick often"!

No bucks here, VA covers it all.

btroj
01-22-2012, 08:04 PM
Tell you what, it isn't the pharmacies. Are we making a profit? Yes. We are seeing reimbursement from insurance dropping every year. Hard to have any level of service and pay employees when income drops and expenses go up.

Government plans have the most BS and the worst payments. Imagine that.

Huge amounts of drug cost also go to pay laibility insurance. Again, imagine that.

Tort reform could drop medical expenses fast. Very fast.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-22-2012, 08:10 PM
Current cost to bring a drug to market is in the 100-150 million range. Company has a patent for just a relatively few years, then it goes generic. Somebody's got to pay R&D costs, and a decent return for the business.
Would it be better to drop all new drug development?

I don't think I was asking for a lecture when I was saying someone is getting rich off of $3 per pill. You must not think they are.
$150 million is peanuts !
Diovan was launched in the U.S. in March, 1997
and a Generic diovan may be approved in 2012
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/111247.php

from the above link:
DiovanŽ (Valsartan)...had U.S. sales of approximately $1.5 billion for the twelve month period of March 30, 2007 to March 30, 2008, according to IMS data.

So Novartis Pharmaceuticals Corp. has been selling diovan for about 15 years, and at the 10 year mark they were making $1.5 billion in the US market alone. The Link also said that the US and europe market was 80% of Diovan sales. So that $1.5 billion was less than 80% of the total sales for that year...probably close to 60% if you don't mind my guessing.

They could have easily dropped the price (at least for us cash paying clients) to $1 a pill. BUT, I wasn't complaining before and I'm not complaining now...all I said was someone is getting rich.

Billions and Billions of dollars is "a decent return for the business"

Jon

Rockydog
01-22-2012, 08:11 PM
I take 5 mg Ramipril and 25 mg Hydrochlorithiazide. Been on it for about 10 years. Was diagnosed with Type II diabetes about 10 years ago too. Losing 70 pounds has kept me from needing any Diabetes drugs but did nothing for the BP situation. I was on a stronger dose of the Hydro (50 mg) but I kept getting dizzy when rising. Took a bad spill in the dark one night at the deer shack in the total dark. Stood up to go out to answer natures call, took a step and went over like a tree. Tried to grab the table on the way down. Missed all but the table cloth. Hit my head on the window sill, my shoulder on the floor and pulled a box of canned goods off the table with the table cloth. Tomato juice cans hurt when dropped from 3 feet. Turns out that the Hydro dose was too high. Cut it in half and my numbers are still good. I do have huge problems with muscle cramps though. RD