PDA

View Full Version : Never had that happen before

7br
01-14-2012, 03:03 PM
I have been casting for about 20 years. I usually water drop and never had a problem. This morning, I managed to get water in a mold cavity. Filled it up with lead and heard a pop about the same as a primer going off. Had a few small pieces of lead strike me in the mustache. I always thought that it was an old wives tale, but it can happen. No injuries and not much mess. I will continue to water drop, but will need to examine my technique.

zomby woof
01-14-2012, 03:04 PM
I let some packing peanuts float on the top of my bucket to keep the splashing down.

M4bushy
01-14-2012, 03:11 PM
I use a plastic tub with a towel folded up in the bottom. Then I have a piece of canvas held on with spring clamps covering half the bin with a V formed in from the corners tapered down to the center. I drop the boolits on the wet canvas and they roll down and fall in the water. No splashing!

44man
01-14-2012, 03:12 PM
OH YEAH, no water in the mold. Makes funny things happen.

Shiloh
01-14-2012, 03:27 PM
I let some packing peanuts float on the top of my bucket to keep the splashing down.

Do you get any molten goo on the boolits from this method??
I ask as when I water drop, I get a good sizzle meaning the falling boolits are still quite hot.

I do the towel across the bucket with a slit in it method.

Shiloh