PDA

View Full Version : whats up with this

wgr
01-13-2012, 11:58 PM
just readin the paper that an oregon wind farmer is trying to get the government to ok him a permit to kill up to three golden eagles.it did not say why he wants to kill them. i cant see how they would hurt a wind mill. what do you think would happen if an oil are coal out fit ask for this

Dirty30
01-14-2012, 12:00 AM
They won't give it to him. I knew an old Basque who went to prison for shooting an eagle that was killing his lambs.

starmac
01-14-2012, 12:12 AM
The deal is the windfarm CAN"T kill over three eagles, he doesn't want to kill any. Some windfarms are now having to pay fines for the birds they kill, and others can't be built because they might kill some.

Taylor
01-14-2012, 08:26 AM
You do not kill Eagles!

DODGEM250
01-14-2012, 08:54 AM
You do not kill Eagles!

"Harvest" ?...

Just kidding calm down.

Is it possible to trap these birds and move them elsewhere ? They did that a few times here around the Washington D.C. area, now we have so many Eagles here we're tired of looking at them.

firefly1957
01-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Birds have more rights than people what a terrible state we are in!

x101airborne
01-14-2012, 09:59 AM
Maybe he's hungry. I heard Eagle tastes just like Spotted Owl. Little gamey, but that is the FLAVA!!

Seriously..... He probably does not want to kill them. He wants the permit so if they get killed by the blades and are found on his property he does not go to jail for it.

I found a Bald Eagle on the side of the road that was hit by a car. I took a pic of it laying there, but would not pick it up or touch it. The wife posted the pic on Facebook. About a week later, I got a call from Texas Parks and Wildlife saying they were doing a preliminary investigation and asked me why I did not call the warden to come and pick it up. Then they asked me where it was then. Well how the hell do I know? They all but accused me of removing the bird and wanted me to come in for further questioning. That is the last time I have anything to do with a Federally protected bird.

Reload3006
01-14-2012, 10:12 AM
there was a pig farmer here in Mo. Bald Eagles were here getting his pigs he went to the fed agents hoping they would trap it and move it. He was told by that agent that that eagle had a right to his pigs. Seems to me like some times things are just a little out of whack. Personally I say Shoot Shovel and Shut up.

Just me

felix
01-14-2012, 11:13 AM
Redwing blackbirds in MO are protected also. Might be also in other states. Perhaps a federal dealie. Funny, though, the blackbirds committing suicide every year in Beebe AR are Redwings. Some say 4th of July is the reason. Others are not too sure. Lots of R&D money is being spent. Same with a woodpecker down here that is supposed to be distinct but might not be. So what! ... felix

3006guns
01-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Eagles should be protected in my opinion, because at least one species (bald) is our national bird.

However, when it comes to "protecting" just about anything that any tree hugger thinks deserves it.....

As my revered father in law used to say "Who here REALLY misses the Tyrannosauras Rex?"

Good question.

starmac
01-14-2012, 12:24 PM
Almost any bird that doesn't have an official season on it is protected it seems like.

montana_charlie
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
There is a 'bird guy' living near us. That is, he is licensed to deal with raptors.
If I found an injured eagle, I would do everything in my power to get it to the guy, but I wouldn't try to catch it myself.

That unwillingness is not from any legal question, it stems from a previous experience.
I found an injured Swainson's hawk by the road, and managed to capture it and deliver it to the guy.
But, the wounds I picked up form that 'little' hawk make me understand that I don't want any part of a fight with an eagle.

CM

Guesser
01-14-2012, 01:13 PM
The big blades on those wind generators are very fragile, they are perfectly balanced and crack very easily. many are damaged by bird and many bird are killed in the damaging of the blades. Out of balance, they shut down.

NVcurmudgeon
01-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Redwing blackbirds in MO are protected also. Might be also in other states. Perhaps a federal dealie. Funny, though, the blackbirds committing suicide every year in Beebe AR are Redwings. Some say 4th of July is the reason. Others are not too sure. Lots of R&D money is being spent. Same with a woodpecker down here that is supposed to be distinct but might not be. So what! ... felix

Felix, I believe that the reason RWBB are protected is the misguided treaty that we have with Mexico. In order to protect some desireable birds they made the list include blackbirds, crows, etc. Looks like they went too high on the taxonomic tree and protected too much, in an effort to protect all migratory birds. The crows are especially pestiferous and are now the most prevalent "songbird" in many CA cities. A Sheridan .20 cal. pellet works really well on chest shots, and one can usually break a wing on side shots, leaving the crow for the local cats to police up.

Re: windfarms, I used to be in Field Maintenance maintaining wind generators for the biggest operator in the US. We would kill the occasional Goldern Eagle, quite a few Redtail Hawks, and almost no small birds. We even had a "bird lady" we could call on the radio to come out and take wounded birds to a rehab center. (In the interest of job protection I have heard about windsmiths who buried the already dead birds and did not report them.) Despite the racket of the blades and various painting schemes, birds occasionaly flew into the blades. The theory was that the raptors concentrated so singlemindedly on the numerous ground squirrels that they ignored the hazard of the blades. Most of our machines at the time had three blades 25 feet or so long rotating at 72 rpm when on line. I'm with Sarah Palin, "Drill Baby Drill". If we were allowed to fully utilize our oil resources instead of using ineffectual alternate energy contraptions it would be a lot better for birds, homeowners, motorists and other living things.

runfiverun
01-14-2012, 06:17 PM
the eagles fly into the vanes on the generators,or try to nest on top of them.
wind power kills far more non game birds than just about anything else.
i guess thats the price for being green.

MtGun44
01-14-2012, 11:01 PM
I'd be very happy to help an injured raptor if I thought I could. Beautiful animals. But if
it is killing someone's livestock and the feds want you to not protect your investment, and
will not provide remuneration. . . . . . S S S

Bill