PDA

View Full Version : PRB in Indiana threatened by anti-rifle activists!

Old Ironsights
03-06-2007, 04:12 PM
There is a current proposal to allow ballistically equivelent centerfire cartridge rifles to Indiana's current "slug gun only" centerfire season. Having been unable to scare people into believing that these cartridges are too powerful, they have pulled out the Kenetic Energy argument - and thereby are putting Traditional PRB in jeproady

These guys are so intent on having control over the Indiana DNR that they are about to sell Traditional Muzzleloaders short... not that they care though, this same bunch is all about inlines, sabots and the rest.

While I KNOW the proposal on the table is not about Traditional Muzzleloading Per-Se, it IS about the right to choose between ballistically equivelent equipment - during the gun season(1), be it PRB, slug gun, pistol or pistol caliber carbine.

If their Kenetic Energy argument stands, this latest attempt by the "no rifles in Indiana" crowd to get their way could have lasting negative reprocussions for Traditional Muzzleloaders.

If you live in Indiana or ever want to hunt in Indiana, whether with Traditional PRB or a Pistol Caliber Carbine, I implore you to take a few moments to take an active stance against any Kenetic Energy argument and send an email to the Department of Natural Resources in support of the Pistol Caliber Carbine proposal (2).

The final disposition Pistol Cartridge Rifle proposal will be decided at the NRC meeting on Monday, March 26 at 6 p.m. (Local Time) at the Garrison Conference Center at Fort Harrison State Park in Indianapolis.

Time for emailing, phone calls and letters have been extended until March 31 - but please submit your comments before the March 26 meeting.

Comments can be e-mailed to either or both:

jkane@nrc.in.gov - who gathers the input and catergorizes it, and/or http://www.in.gov/nrc/contact/

Thanks for your help on this.

Notes:

(1) During "gun" season you are, for now, also allowed to use traditional equipment. as of yet late season "muzzleloader" is not affected.

(2) The proposed deer firearm season rule change language reads:
- The rifle cartridge must:
(A) have a bullet of three hundred fifty-seven thousandths of an inch (.357) diameter or larger;
(B) have a minimum case length of one and sixteen hundredths (1.16) inches; and
(C) have a maximum case length of one and six hundred twenty-five thousandths (1.625) inches.

Essentially, only regular rimmed revolver-class cartridges will be permitted as they all have a ballistic profile that is substantially equal to slug guns and current muzzleloader "technology". Because of population density, hunter density and terminal range to bult-up areas no "rifle" cartridges will be allowed.

Rattus58
03-08-2007, 05:08 AM
No Offense, but what exactly are you saying.. I'm a little lost in what you are saying is the problem.

Kinetic energy... whats that got to do with anything in your argument? If you'd like us to help out, please tell me what the issue is (I'm pretty slow you see), how you're being threatened by it, what it is YOU don't like about it so that whoever writes in on your behalf knows the whole story.

Thanks in advance..

Much Aloha, :cool:

Old Ironsights
03-08-2007, 11:35 AM
There is a faction in Indiana that is opposed to the use of any type of centerfire rifle to hunt deer. Their argument is that "shotguns & muzzleloaders are enough".

They began by arguing that pistol caliber carbines in calibers like .357 & .44 shoot like rifles in .375 or .444. When that was empiraclly proven false, they dragged out the old saw of "If a bullet doesn't retain at least 1000ftlbs at 100yds, it's inadequate for deer.

This is a tactic that has been tried elsewhere to limit the use of Patched Round Ball - which can't maintain 1000@100 &/or change "primitive" muzzleloading seasons to include High Performance inlines - which can maintain 1000@100.

Essentially, I am agitating for support of the DNR proposal because if it fails, and if they succeed in planting the 1000@100 mindset, it will be bad for traditional muzzleloaders, as well as handgunners, and anyone wanting to use a sub 12ga slug gun.

Rattus58
03-11-2007, 03:45 PM
The idea that it takes 1000 foot pounds to kill a deer is also empirically, scientifically, and pathetically false. All that is necessary is for a bullet to traverse the animal and exit. This can be done with a round ball with probably close to 300 foot pounds, and even that is not necessarily accurate.

Round balls have a good enough wound channel to kill anything, even elephants. They were the bullet of choice for a lot of African huntes till some of the big centerfires, black powder and otherwise, came along. That they DID kill elephants is still valid today. That the early hunters all used round balls for hunting is still as valid today as it was in 1550.

I will be happy to send a letter to these folks for you.

send me an email at sunrisearchery@hawaiiantel.net and I'll forward you my comments.

Much Aloha.. Tom :cool:

Rattus58
03-11-2007, 03:47 PM
What exactly are the indiana muzzlellader rules as they stand now?

Aloha... Tom :cool:

Old Ironsights
03-12-2007, 11:01 AM
From the 2006 regs:

Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be loaded from the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.

That's it. Inlines, Scopes, Smokeless are all OK. All Muzzies may be used during "regular" gun season as well.

Old Ironsights
03-12-2007, 11:03 AM
I will be happy to send a letter to these folks for you.

send me an email at sunrisearchery@hawaiiantel.net and I'll forward you my comments.

Much Aloha.. Tom :cool:

Thanks tom. You can send it directly to: jkane@nrc.in.gov - who gathers the input and catergorizes it, and/or http://www.in.gov/nrc/contact/

Thanks for your help on this.