PDA

View Full Version : HPing boolits...

mainiac
01-13-2012, 07:00 PM
This is a question for you guys that drill your hollowpoints. Do you find that the boolits shoot tighter groups after the hollowpoint is drilled?

Im kinda thinking about buying the forster tool,to see if it produces better accuracy.Would it be worth playing with?

runfiverun
01-13-2012, 09:29 PM
after trying about 2 thousand different things,
i'd just get a hollow point mold.
or swage one in.

WHITETAIL
01-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Paper does not care.
I shoot solid nose at paper.
And hollow point at game.:cbpour:

edsmith
01-13-2012, 10:27 PM
I hollow point my boolits on my unimat3 lathe, using a brad point drill bit.

williamwaco
01-13-2012, 11:12 PM
after trying about 2 thousand different things,
i'd just get a hollow point mold.
or swage one in.

I swage mine. Starting with a 150 - 158 grain Semi Wadcutter ( .357 Mag ) Size/Lubbed first to be sure the lube rings are filled.

And Yes, It does improve the accuracy. I don't think the accuracy increase comes from the hollow point. I think it comes from the swaging. Unfortunately I do not have a solid nose punch to test with.

Larry Gibson
01-14-2012, 03:32 AM
This is a question for you guys that drill your hollowpoints. Do you find that the boolits shoot tighter groups after the hollowpoint is drilled?

Im kinda thinking about buying the forster tool,to see if it produces better accuracy.Would it be worth playing with?

I've been using the Forster 1/16" and 1/8" Hollow point tools for about 40+ years on numerous different cast bullets in numerous cartridges. Many claim very good accuracy with HP vs solid cast bullets. I've not had to seperate moulds of the same bullet to test it out. I can say that the 311041HP and the 323471 with the long original HP stems are very accurate cast bullets. However, I have solid cast bullets that are just as accurate.

For the best controlled expansion with rilfe bullets at 1800 - 2200 fps I have shortened the Lyman HP stems so HP from 1/8" to not more than 1/3 the nose length of the bullet. Other wise, even with softer malleable alloys the nose will blow off instead giving controlled expansion. Concentricity of the loaded round is important with the Forster tool if you drill the HP deep. I use the 1/16" drill in .22, .25 and 6.5 Bullets. I use the 1/8" drill in .30 - .45 cals. I do not drill the HP with the Forster more than 3/16" deep in any bullet, even 45-70 bullets although, after HPing with the Forster, I open the HP with a 80* countersink in my .375, .41 and .45 cals if I want rapid expansion.

Something to be said for having a good HP mould but the versatility to make any cast bullet into a HP is well worth the small cost of the Forster HP tools. Takes a few drillings to get the knack but once you do it is quite simple and easy to do it quickly and corectly.

Larry Gibson

With the Forster tool

stubert
01-14-2012, 12:42 PM
I had Buckshot hollow point an RCBS mold a couple of years ago that I could not get to shoot in a 45-70. It was a 45-405 mold that threw a 420 gr. boolit out of Lyman # 2. After HP-ing, it weighs 390 gr. and is MUCH more accurate.

mainiac
01-14-2012, 06:33 PM
The most accurate rifles in the world,,,the br guns, all shoot a handmade bullet that has a hollow point. Dont know fer sure why that is,but suppose its because with the HP,it makes the bullet more base heavy,maybe contributing to better/calmer stabilization?????

This is what im thinkin.............