PDA

View Full Version : Which .45 boolit?

mike3132
03-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Newbie here with a few questions for you experts. Ive got a Ruger Super Redhawk .454 and want to shoot cast boolits for hunting but I don't want to shoot them at .454 velocity. I'm using 45LC cases and want to shoot at velocities between 1200 - 1400 fps. My question is which boolit weight and design to buy. I'm not planning on casting my own so who makes a good boolit for hunting. Should I buy ones with gas checks? Anyone have a good accurate 45LC load they would care to share? Thanks, mike

454PB
03-06-2007, 11:19 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I have the same gun. I suggest you avoid using .45 Colt brass in it, instead, use reduced loads in .454 brass. Over time, the use of the shorter .45 Colt brass can erode the area just behind the cylinder throats. I can't suggest a commercial cast boolit. I've never used them, I cast my own. Bullshop comes highly recommended, and is a member of this forum. A link to his web site is at the bottom of this page.

I like 320gr. to 335 gr. gas checked boolits in my .454's ahead of H-110, WW 296, Lil'Gun, or Bluedot . Since you want reduced loads, Bluedot and Lil'Gun would work best, H-110 and WW 296 cannot be reduced more than 5% from maximum due to ignition problems and squib loads. I use Bluedot for velocities in the 1300 fps. range.

beagle
03-07-2007, 12:40 AM
I'm assuming you're looking for a big bruiser of a bullet.

One of my old shooting partners had a .454 and I've made loads of bullets for him using the RCBS 45-325-FN-U. THis is for the .45 rifles but I've sized them down to .453" for him and they shoot well in both his gun and my Ruger .45 Colt.

It's a round, flat nose, PB. Might be what you're looking for./beagle

mike3132
03-07-2007, 01:12 AM
What I'm learning is this gun shoots 300 + grn bullets best. I'm looking for a pleasant shooting whitetail load, something that wont rock my world. I did change the grips out to Hogue Tamers and that helped a lot. Today it shot very good groups with jacketed bullets @1200 fps with Lil Gun. Ive read that cast boolits shoot faster and with less recoil than a jacketed bullet of the same weight. Ive never shot any cast so don't know if this is true. I have a Lee Production pot so maybe i should just buy a mold and go for it. Thanks for the welcome and info. Mike

454PB
03-07-2007, 01:49 AM
If you decide to cast your own, I highly recommend the Lee C452-300-RF. You can also use the Lee sizing and lube if desired. For less than $50 for mould and sizer, you'll be making your own.

Cast boolits will give higher velocity than jacketed of the same weight, but not less recoil. There is no way to cheat Newton.

Check your cylinder throats, my Ruger won't accept any size over .452".....they won't chamber.