PDA

View Full Version : Big sale at Harbor Freight!

Jim
01-13-2012, 11:03 AM
BIG SALE (http://www.harborfreight.com/clearance?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=0212b&utm_source=1006)at Harbor Freight, guys! Lots of stuff with big price cuts.

ErikO
01-13-2012, 12:28 PM
I'm planning on getting a set of punches and cold chisels, 12 pieces for under $10. They might be made in China but I bet that the steel originally came from MI or PA.

Jim
01-13-2012, 12:58 PM
Janet and I have a list of stuff we're gonna' order, including a $20 live catch 'coon trap. Fold-up allen key sets, wire brushes, a tarp, three $2 headlamps... Just general stuff you see and think "I could use one of those." AND, they have a $7 flat rate shipping charge! Larry could learn somethin' from that.

Tazman1602
01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
Oh man Jim there are some deals to be had indeed!

Art

firefly1957
01-13-2012, 01:58 PM
Jim I have a good live trap and the bigger coon have done some damage to it on a couple occasions they tore out the non-opening end and escaped! I forget the brand but it was from Homedepot the off end opens to remove animal, well not anymore I had to wire it up after coon removed it from inside.

Beagler
01-13-2012, 02:01 PM
going to have to get two more of there 45 watt solar kits to keep my critter feeders powered up

Jim
01-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Jim I have a good live trap and the bigger coon have done some damage to it on a couple occasions they tore out the non-opening end and escaped! I forget the brand but it was from Homedepot the off end opens to remove animal, well not anymore I had to wire it up after coon removed it from inside.

Yeah, they can get a right nasty attitude about bein' hemmed up like that. :holysheep No sense of humor at all! :bigsmyl2:

blademasterii
01-13-2012, 04:56 PM
Just picked up one of their vibratory tumblers 5lb capacity for 60 bucks. That includes the 1 yr warrenty. Then to walmart to pick up corn cob bedding for 4 bucks for like 10lbs.

gew98
01-13-2012, 08:59 PM
Me personally.. I have yet to see much quality and or longevity in the tools HB sells. Having worked in the elevator and electrical trades I would not buy a thing from them...and don't.

palmettosunshine
01-13-2012, 09:18 PM
Me personally.. I have yet to see much quality and or longevity in the tools HB sells. Having worked in the elevator and electrical trades I would not buy a thing from them...and don't.

Exactly. The only things I buy from Harbor Freight are the cheap tools I need ONCE that I can't justify buying from Sears..... I just can't support the Chinese economy by buying from Harbor Freight.

dsmjon
01-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Having worked in .

There's the operative therm... I agree with your statement, but for most folks that may use a tool once or twice a year, HF stuff will suffice just fine and without the expense of buying Klein or SnapOn tools...

Jim
01-13-2012, 09:54 PM
Some of us can't afford the best.

mold maker
01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Most of us don't need the best, and at my age, I'm most sure they will outlast me.

blademasterii
01-13-2012, 10:30 PM
Well for what I bought with a 1 yr warranty I figure its kinda like renting it for 60 bucks a year. If it breaks in that year i'm only a mile from the store.

beanflip
01-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Heres a coupon link for Harbor Freight

http://www.dealsoff.com/harbor-freight-coupons/

DLCTEX
01-13-2012, 11:20 PM
I bought their set of tin snips. Total junk! wouldn't cut and bent easily. So far the sockets I bought are doing the job. Brad nailers don't last long.

starmac
01-14-2012, 12:36 AM
There extra long combination wrenches are good quality, and will match or beat anything sears has. They have three different quality wrench sets, the other two are not worth hauling home if you actually need a wrench.
They have several test lights, the best one is good quality and sells for something like 5 bucks.
I have a couple of their air over hydraulic jacks, that can't be beat anywhere for the money.

I will say most of their stuff is 99% pure junk if you actually need a tool though.

PS even some of snap-on tools are made in china now, and I would bet a lot of sears tools are too.

CLAYPOOL
01-14-2012, 01:24 AM
On the welding and shop sites they say buy the Hort. band saw. It also can be used in a vertical mode. They have a primer on set @ one of the shop sites to bring it to finite specs.

Crawdaddy
01-14-2012, 09:13 PM
Went there today and got a 2000 pound winch for my atv. Cost me $50 bucks with my inside track club member coupon. It is a cheapie but all I need for my atv.

A lot of people don't likeHF but I go there all the time.

frankenfab
01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I bought a new engine for my wood splitter there. It's a 6.5 OHV Honda copy. There were over 100 positive reviews on the product, and I am glad I listened to them. That thing cranks on 1/2 a pull and runs like a top.

3006guns
01-14-2012, 09:27 PM
A word of warning on Chinese hydraulics......I bought one of their folding 1 1/2 ton shop cranes, mostly because it stored so easily. Less than five months after the purchase it almost dropped an engine on the floor. It seems the cylinders are o.k. but the built in control valves are machined in a half hearted fashion.

I looked at one of the hydraulic shop presses not long ago and the welding looked like something from a 7th grade shop class. Watch it.

starmac
01-14-2012, 09:44 PM
I have two of those 20 ton air over hydraulic jacks, the oldest of which has been used hundreds of times, the newest just a few times so far. So far I have no complaints other than the hose and air fittings, which I replaced immediately.

Some of the honda lookalike motors are used on the copperhead boat motors, and getting good reviews. I don't know if they are the same as harbor freight ones though.

Rockydog
01-15-2012, 01:00 AM
With concealed carry big in the news here in Wisconsin, due to it being recently approved by the legislature and signed by the Governor, Harbor Freight has stepped in it big time. Posted all of their stores with "NO Firearms Allowed" on the front door. Losing a bunch of customers here because of the corporate policy. RD

starmac
01-15-2012, 01:47 AM
I have only been in two HF stores salt lake city and amarillo tx, but I never noticed any no firearms signs. I haven't been to one in around three years though either.

Finster101
01-15-2012, 02:05 AM
Never seen a sign on one in Florida either.

Buckshot
01-15-2012, 04:24 AM
...............Rechargable batteries from Horror Fright are junk! The 2 best things I've ever bought there was several years ago I got the 4.5" horizontal band saw (64.5" blades). The sheet metal stand it's on is junk. It was made in Taiwan and the castings were VERY clean, sharp and well done. I figured the motor would have been burned up LONG ago, as when you use it much it gets so hot you can't stand to touch it, but it's still spinning!!???? The current ones they have are made in China and look much more crudely done, but I don't know if that affects their utility or not. They just look much poorer.

The other was thier 1" SDS Rotary Hammer. It's on sale quite often for $79 but I caught it on a coupon for $49. It operates as a regular drill motor, or as a straight demolition hammer, OR as rotary hammer. I bought it for one reason and that was to bust up this unbelieveable red clay we have around here (they don't call it Redlands for nuthin; :-)) I was very impressed.

http://www.harborfreight.com/power-tools/hammer-drills/3-in-1-1-inch-sds-rotary-hammer-97743.html

The motor houseing is a substantial and well formed plastic casting. The gearcase is a well done aluminum casting and it's all ball bearings. It has a serviceable grease reservoir for the transmission and upon inspection it all appears to be very well machined. It came with some green colored clearish grease of some sort in the transmission, and they give you a small container of the same stuff. I didn't trust it and cleaned it all out, then filled it with high pressure moly wheel bearing grease.

Our ground around here is hard. And I mean like concrete! You hit it with a railroad pick and it'll make that pick ring like a tuning fork! I bought it to bust up the ground for our patio as I had to go 3-4" below grade and I'd have had to used a crawler with rippers to do it otherwise. The patio was 28' x 18' and I used a 3" wide SDS spade bit in that rotary hammer using the 'hammer only' function. Crawling around on my knees on the ground was no fun but that rotary hammer just kept on keeping on. The gearcase got hot as you'd figure it would but I spaded up over 500 sq ft with it.

................Buckshot

blademasterii
01-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Florida law says post all the no guns signs you want. If you are a legal ccw holder, you can ignore them providing they are not on the original list of prohibited places. Even disney can only ask you to leave if its discovered you are carrying.

starmac
01-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Now I like that florida law. lol

gandydancer
01-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Most of us don't need the best, and at my age, I'm most sure they will outlast me.
at your age?? at my age I don't buy green bananas

abunaitoo
01-16-2012, 02:34 AM
I used to buy from them untill the shipping prices went through the roof.
Now it's just not worth it.
Stuff they sell is just hit and miss.
Some useable, most just junk.