PDA

View Full Version : Going to Alaska!!

Love Life
01-12-2012, 01:20 PM
deleted

bruce drake
01-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Plan for a week of driving time to get there and back as well if you are driving up from the West Coast. Its a bit of a haul.

Bruce

shtur
01-12-2012, 01:52 PM
To take in the whole experience, consider traveling by ferry from WA or BC. Take additional lightweight items your rig may require. Everything in AK costs more, they have to ship everything in, thus the cost, so take lots of money or plastic. Enjoy the trip.

shtur
01-12-2012, 02:07 PM
The plane leaves McCord AFB every Tuesday to Anchorage for a stop, arriving Fairbanks Tuesday evening. Each return flight to McCord is Thursday.

starmac
01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
If you just have a week, you don't want to drive or take a ferry, flying is the only way.
Alaska is spread out and no way to see it it all in a week, but you can plan for what you want to see and it will be a week to remember.
If I only had a week I would probably fly into anchorage and rent a motor home or car and camping gear, and spend most of the time on the peninsula, but that is me.
Check out alaska outdoors forums. There are members there that rent canoes and four wheelers. Another destination is the lakes on the denali highway, that would be a nice trip.
You could drive north out of anc on the parks then across the denali and back down the richardson and glenn highways. O would for sure take a day or two to see seward, valdez or homer, and take a charter either to fish or sight see.
If you make it all the way to fairbanks pm me and we will get together.
The king fishing was GREAT at clearcreek out of talkeetna last year in july, we had our own boat, but there are transporters there that will take you out for a day for 65 bucks and that is hard to beat for a day of fun.

quilbilly
01-12-2012, 02:15 PM
Depends on what part of Alaska you are going to. If you are looking for sea critters, SE Alaska is the way to go but if you want to see a lot of county with the occasional finned critters, the mainland is the way to go. The most recent issue of "THE REEL NEWS", the monthly Puget Sound Anglers publication, has an article about fishing the Glacier Bay area after flying into Juneau and visiting a b&b in the national park. If that article doesn't fire you up about fishing, nothing will.

MtGun44
01-12-2012, 02:17 PM
McKinley Park is awesome. Do you understand what tussock country is?

It is NOT easy to get around by foot off the road in much of northern Alaska. It is a
lot easier in southern Alaska, but still steep up and down and lots of streams to cross.

An example, get out of the gravel stream bed (easy walking) and head out across the
tussock (VERY hard work walking) and then after a couple miles, run into a beaver "pond" which
first appears as a stream that you ford. Then it gets swampier and swampier and there
are more and deeper channels up to your chest and you are out in the middle of a brushy
cold swamp that goes on for an indefinite time. FUN.

Lots of really wonderful places, do not get me wrong, but just walking off across what
appears to just be grassland and brushy country that is pretty hospitible in, say Montana
or Wyoming, can be a big surprise in parts of Alaska. Been there done, that, was really
surprised.

Don't go unarmed. 629 or 329 on the hip with hot loads is a mandatory item. Also, rain
gear and SERIOUS fire starting gear and a head net if before Labor Day.

Understand that there are "no handrails". . . . . this is the real thing. Any good woodsman
can deal with it, but needs to have proper gear and attitude.

Also EVERYTHING in Alaska is EXPENSIVE, because it was really hard to get it there and this
costs. No way around it, don't be surprised. If you are flying up, make sure you can afford
a car. Not any significant public transport. Did I mention that everything is really expensive? :bigsmyl2:
I stayed 6 weeks and almost never came back. It is a HUGE place, too. Look at some of
the distances.

Mt McKinley and Mt Foraker dominate the skyline from certain parts of Anchorage on a really
clear day, yet they are something like 150 miles away.

Bill

Breadman03
01-12-2012, 02:57 PM
http://i1199.photobucket.com/albums/aa479/Breadman03/IMAG0583.jpg

You might want one of these, a Super Redhawk Alaskan in .454.

Ickisrulz
01-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Alaska in the summer...it's raining, getting ready to rain or just stopped raining.

If it looks like an area that will easy to walk on...it's probably a swamp.

To get anywhere takes a long time. It is a very big state.

To do anything outdoors takes considerable planning and preparation.

Step off any pavement and you are in the wilderness...compass and gun are a must.

starmac
01-12-2012, 03:17 PM
WARNING You can't see all of alaska in a week, but you might see just enough that you wont go back. lol

starmac
01-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Let me put it this way. You have 1 week to spend in Alaska and it very well be your only trip there. Where would you go, what would you plan? I'm not looking to hunt,but would love to do some fishing, sightseeing, and a little woods bumming.

Kenai peninsula, with maybe a day trip to valdez

Recluse
01-12-2012, 03:40 PM
Hire you a bush pilot. You'll go places and see places you otherwise wouldn't.

That would be a "must" for me for at least one of the days I was up there.

:coffee:

Ickisrulz
01-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Charter a halibut fishing trip. Whittier isn't too far from Anchorage (if that's where you are going to base yourself from) and there are people that charter trips there. Whittier is a cool little village that you have to enter by going through a train tunnel with your car. There's one day for you (what will you do with all the fish?).

I don't know if the salmon will be running when you visit or not. There's nothing better than catching salmon in the salt water. This would require a boat though...another charter?

A visit and bus ride through Denali is a requisite tourist thing. There's another day. Denali is several hours from Anchorage.

There's a whole lot of hiking available. This ranges from the paved coastal trail in Achorage to wilderness excursions. There's a mountain called Flat Top Mountain that people like to visit. It's not too far from civilization and no too difficult.

You might want to contact the MWR offices on Elmendorf AFB, Eielson AFB or Fort Richardson for some ideas or schedules of things they might be planning during the time of your visit.

Hickory
01-12-2012, 03:57 PM
I want to make the most out of this trip as it will most likely be a once and a lifetime trip. I will be traveling alone.

One week in Alaska . . . once in a life time.

is like, one lick on an ice cream cone, . . .once in your life time.

You'll go back again, or die with the dream.[smilie=l:

starmac
01-12-2012, 03:58 PM
Spend a little time on this site, You will find a lot of good info there.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/index.php?

In most of alaska the people are like everywhere else, they basically treat you as good as you treat them, generally pretty good attitudes.
The reason I recommended the peninsula is anywhere on it is just a few hours drive from anchorage (which I wouldn't spend much time in) it is basically like any other city.
Seward is beautiful and just 2 1/2 hours out of anc, with a beautiful drive and charter boats running out of it. You can go from seward to the russian river in a couple hours. I was there around the 5th of july there and while it was between runs and the fishing was not so hot, I saw 3 bears (one as close as 6 feet) in a matter of two hours. In another hour or so you can be in Kenai and another hour and a half be at homer another end of the road coastal town.
All along these routes there are small lodges (which consist of rooms for rent, bar and cafe and convenience store with gas) and bed and breakfast places. Whittier is another peninsula town that is worth visiting, and there is some good eating places in all these places and in between.
The reason I suggest the pen, is there is several places and things to do without spending all your time driving, Don't forget this is the season of the midnight sun, you will not do a lot of sleeping.
One of the members of the site I listed runs a very well recommended canoe rental in the kenai area, a day or two canoe trip would be a great way to see some beautiful back country.
Anywhere in this area is some beautiful scenery and many places to hike and see.
Bring a good camera, with a lot of film or memory, and possibly some good binoculars.
If you need any fishing or outdoor gear, the ace hardwear at seward or soldatna, is very hard to beat, and they will know what is biting and where.

starmac
01-12-2012, 04:05 PM
I second Recluses suggestion of a bushplane sight seeing trip. Check around quality plane trips and boat charters don't have to be real expensive.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-12-2012, 04:24 PM
I spent 10days there in 97. Mostly a fishing trip for reds (sockeye).
Based in Soldotna, right on the Kenai, we had an advantage, camped in a friends of a friends of friends yard and had access to he privy and shower in the basement. Made for a very cheap trip.
It did rain everyday, although not hard or constant, but you had to be ready for it at all times. Made a halibut trip from Seward and silver salmon trip from Homer. Very good time except for the 19 foot seas on the halibut trip http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v313/James64/Smilies/yikes.gif

There is a Fred Meyer store in Soldotna, I found the prices slightly higher then here in Mt, but not nearly as bad as it was made out to be, although the further "out" you go it gets higher and higher. Also, at that time, The store left you park and RV with full hookups for FREE in their parking lot. Keeps you buying inside :)
We had no bear issues although we heard of some. We did not go trekking that much though, except to & from the river on established trails.
Your trip will be whatever you make of it so make the most.
One word of caution, do NOT call the natives Eskimos! They prefer to be called natives. At least when I was there.
The biggest surprise I encountered was the produce available. Highest quality I've seen in years and the strawberry's where the size of softballs and outrageously delicious!

IF you are going to bring fish home, pack clothes and such in a large cooler, thinking that you may not need them for a while when you return home.
Pack your frozen fish in the cooler for the flight home, stuff your clothing and such in a box and UPS it home.

starmac
01-12-2012, 04:30 PM
Not far from the fred meyers is a wallmart now too. But like I said before as far as sporting goods, ace hardware has them beat bad.

The wallmart here has campers that spend the whole summer in their lot. I never could understand having your alaska experience in a wallmart parking lot. lol

MtGun44
01-12-2012, 07:31 PM
In coastal southern Alaska, there are mountains right down to the water and it is a
coastal rain forest. LOTS of rain, wet, streams. Beautiful, but the only flat land is on the
islands or very narrow strips along the coast and in some valleys. You head uphill very
quickly if you want to hike anywhere. But it is beautiful country. With plenty of bears.

The main, northern part of the state is very different. Lots of hills, flat country, small
mountains, woods, streams, creeks, brushy country, swamps and big mountains. BUT
there are hardly any roads. I think the first thing to decide is what exactly you want to
see. Maybe you would be best to stick to the relatively smaller area that is coastal
southern Alaska, do some fishing and hiking, maybe get out onto the islands to hike.

The main part of Alaska has the roads, but still only a tiny part of the state is accessible
by road. Bush flights are pretty expensive. Boating trips around southern Alaska will be
much less money.

If you don't have Google Earth, download it and spend time on it looking over the area,
and learn to use the measuring tool to get an idea of distances. Cut Alaska in half and
you'd make Texas the third largest state.

Bill

Recluse
01-12-2012, 08:12 PM
Bush flights are pretty expensive. Boating trips around southern Alaska will be
much less money.
Bill

If you go through the traditional charters, then yeah, bush flying can get a little pricey.

We always called up the local/regional air-carriers and asked if any pilots had some down time. In Alaska, most pilots only get paid if they're flying--paid per flight.

It wasn't hard to work out an affordable, agreeable "day rate" with a lot of the independent guys out there, and they knew the best places to take you.

:coffee:

starmac
01-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Bush flights are generally expensive, but that includes dropping you off and hopefully picking you up at a certain date. Sightseeing flights just to see the country, is generally speaking quite a bit cheaper.
My FIL came up last year and had just finished getting his pilots license. He wanted to fly a float plane, and the price for an hour was not bad at all.

Finster101
01-12-2012, 08:48 PM
I did a motorcycle trip up to AK last summer. Passed right thru Delta Junction and was too stupid to look up Bull Shop. Rode up to Fairbanks around to Denali the took the Denali Highway (highway my butt!) back over to the juntion to head back south. If you are going to drive while you are there you won't get to see much. The distance in between destinations is too far for a week. Pick a couple of locations you would like to see and spend the time there. I am already plaaning a return trip. Fly in with the wife and rent a camper for 2 weeks. I loved it. Spending the month on a motorcycle isn't the worst thing to be doing either. Congats have fun!

James

starmac
01-12-2012, 09:11 PM
You didn't like the denali highway. lol It is even better in the winter, snow machine only. lol

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-12-2012, 10:08 PM
I have a few thoughts to share.

My father talked about going to Alaska to visit relatives, he never went.
I thought if I planned a trip, I could get him to go...He never went.
He is now is his upper 80s and can't travel, due to health issues.

Well, I went alone in 1997 for 2 weeks.
I stayed with my relatives (they are half Native) in Aniak for 9 days.
Aniak is for the most part an Indian village, it lies on an island at the
confluence of the kuskokwim and Aniak rivers, a hundred and some miles
inland. It was early September, the silvers were running, I spent part of that time
fishing (right at the confluence) which was the best spot...No one else there fishing,
most everyone is native and they Netfish earlier in the season...no one sport fishes.
It was just Awesome...I caught all I could dream about.
Also, my cousins took me up the river, we camped on an island, had a fire all night
to keep away the bears. It was a trip of a lifetime. Also, I met many friends of my relatives, spent some time at what they called a State fair...but was more like a
rendezvous, I had some Fish Ice cream there and bought a Martin fur hat.
one evening the comunity center had a dance, that was cool. I spent one afternoon
making a video (with the help of a cousin) to share with other relatives that have never been there (read my Dad !). I was invited to visit Russian Orthodox funeral of a past chief who recently died...that was a whole different thing then I've ever experienced
in a funeral. Then, I spent a couple days in anchorage with another relative...that part of the vacation wasn't so special, it wasn't awful or anything, but honestly I don't even
remember what I did...I can't remember one thing.

My point ?
First, plan to go...and go. unlike my Dad.
sounds like you are already beyond that.

Second, pick one area, preferably not a crowded tourist area.
stick with that area, see and do all there is to do in that area, instead
of driving to denali, then driving down the peninsula, then driving
somewhere else. Find some lodge or outfitter in remote place
away from a major town. Yeah I was lucky having relatives
in a location like Aniak, but there are places that will welcome
you like a relative (for a small fee)

Here is one example.
a former Glencoe resident and now a musher in the Iditarod,
Paul Gebhardt http://www.iditarod.com/race/race/musher/racemusher_52.html
has a lodge on the Kenai near a small town (Kasilof) called Aspen Hollow
http://www.aspenhollowlodging.com/
Good luck in your researching,
Jon

jcwit
01-13-2012, 03:15 AM
Love Life, I sincerely hope you throughly enjoy yourself!

ErikO
01-13-2012, 10:49 AM
If you're bringing firearms, Fed Ex them to yourself. Much easier than trying to drive them through BC.

starmac
01-13-2012, 01:26 PM
No problem driving rifles and shotguns through canada, just no handguns and no restricted guns(assault rifles).

waksupi
01-13-2012, 05:28 PM
No problem driving rifles and shotguns through canada, just no handguns and no restricted guns(assault rifles).

You can take hand guns through, but need to jump through lots of hoops first. Contact the head office of the Canadians Firearms division. This can take 4-6 weeks if you are lucky.
Get permission from the provincial firearms officers next, from the provinces you will travel through. Add on at least a couple more weeks, can be more. Depends a lot on how many times they loose the paperwork, been there, done that.
The guns will have a seal put on them at the border, and they damn well better still have them on when you leave the country. Return full description in triplicate to the border crossing agents.
I have both a non-restricted and restricted license to take handguns into Canada for competition use, and have to have a flier from the event, and travel permission from the provincial officers.
All in all, not worth the trouble, and was easier to just borrow pistols from friends at the shoots.

starmac
01-13-2012, 05:37 PM
I guess I should have said, you could not just show up at the border, with a hand gun and expect to drive through with it.
I know there is a way, but have always just flew up with mine, zero hassle that way, rifles and shotguns, I just drive up with, and have always had zero hassle there too.

quilbilly
01-13-2012, 07:02 PM
Hope you had a chance to read that article in THE REEL NEWS.
Anyway - one week. HMMM!
I would grab an Alaska Ferry with a backpack, camping gear, fishing gear , the Casull, and a mountain bike. Get off at Sitka, Petersburg, or Ketchikan then go for a ride. Before any of that I would also get the National Forest maps for SE Alaska to look for streams near the beach and logging roads along the streams near where you get off the ferry. Bring a 7 foot medium action spinning rod and a reel loaded with 8# plus a lot of spinners and spoons. We can talk more about this at NCBS.

Dennis Eugene
01-13-2012, 11:21 PM
read this. Dennis http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=91991 fixed pictures. sorry

mooman76
01-13-2012, 11:35 PM
Seward Alaska is a coastal town just a couple hours from Ancorage. You will want to rent a car. There is a Glacier there that you can drive part way there and hike the rest of the way. A few hours more is Homer and they have allot of charter boats if you like salt water fishing. Halibut is big there. Also lots of wild life. I don't recall which salmon are running at that time but there will be something.

Dennis Eugene
01-14-2012, 12:33 AM
Fixed pics in post #39

garandsrus
01-14-2012, 12:39 AM
I am thinking of taking my 12 year old son to Alaska this summer to backpack the Chilkoot Trail out of Skagway. It will be a 5 day hike if I remember correctly. We will get some fishing in also.

I have been to Alaska twice before. We spent quite a bit of time on the Kenai Peninsula. Halibut fishing and a glacier cruise would be near the top of my list there.

Camping is a great way to go. It's very cheap. Hotels are very expensive and scarce. Look at Youth Hostels also. You can get a bed for the night cheaply. I think the hostel in Anchorage was less than $20 per night.

Spend the money you save on a rental car so you can do whatever you want. It's also a great place to keep your extra stuff

John

Finster101
01-14-2012, 12:41 AM
You didn't like the denali highway. lol It is even better in the winter, snow machine only. lol

Oh, I liked the highway. It was beautiful. I just didn't enjoy doing it on an 800lb dirt bike. :groner:

starmac
01-14-2012, 12:47 AM
Dennis, I have to say that is one fine thing you were able to do for a member. One of these days I've got to see that country down there, even just to look at it.

quilbilly
01-14-2012, 04:22 PM
When you decide when the trip will be I will tell you what is running up the rivers and what to carry.

MtGun44
01-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Gotta go out on the Homer spit and go back and have a glass of Homer Spit in the bar.

Bill

starmac
01-14-2012, 11:29 PM
Gotta go out on the Homer spit and go back and have a glass of Homer Spit in the bar.

Bill

Well if that is a must, then you might as well go up to chicken and have one of those drinks with a toe in it too. lol

waksupi
01-15-2012, 02:37 AM

Bill

If you go to Homer, I have some friends that own a bed and breakfast there, and also have a halibut fishing service.

starmac
01-15-2012, 02:44 AM
One more thing to think about, if you are going to do this on a budget, you can rent a car and gear, or pick up some gear. That time of year you can get buy with some cheap gear, and a lot of the laundries have showers, you have to furnish your own towels though.

bearcove
01-15-2012, 07:19 PM

Bill

That would be the Salty Dog. We always drink beer there, don't know about the spit. Must be for tourists.

MtGun44
01-16-2012, 02:28 AM
How could anyone that has actually been to Homer not know about the spit? Unless things
have changed a whole lot since the late 1970s, Homer had very little in the way of town,
and the spit was THE major physical characteristic. About 100 yds wide and 1/4 to 1/3 of a
mile long gravel spit.

Who knows maybe the town grew up and the spit blew away.

Bill

starmac
01-16-2012, 04:30 AM
Homer spit is still there THAT is homer. lol I think he didn't know about the drink.

bearcove
01-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Actually its about 2 miles long. First went there 20 yrs ago. Had a slip a few times in the harbor.

bearcove
01-16-2012, 10:40 AM
Never heard of the drink. We drank beer back then