PDA

View Full Version : Pay your bills

Jim
01-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Back before Christmas, a member sent me some lead 'cause I was running shy. I told him I would send him a check for the shipping costs.

He sent me a PM a coupla' weeks ago asking me if I had sent it as he had not received it. I responded and told him I had forgotten and would get right on it. I forgot again.

This morning, I remembered it and like to died, wondering what this man thinks of me. If I have ruined my reputation with this man, I got what I deserved.

If you fail to pay a bill with a business, they sic a bill collector on you. But, if you ruin your reputation with friends on the best forum there is, that's a lot of damage that might not can be repaired.

Moral of this? Listen to the ol' man, I'm tryin' to teach ya' something. Do as I say, not as I've done. Pay your bills to those you buy from here and do it on time.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Can't we just occupy cast boolits and have the mods give us bill forgiveness? :kidding:

Tazman1602
01-11-2012, 12:34 PM
LMAO! YOU'RE OLD! KEEP A LIST JIM!

.......if I don't keep a list I can't 'member nuthin....,GRIN

Art

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
If we could be perfect Jesus would not have needed to do what he did. Your in good company Jim. And a hell of a man to publicly admit it. Makes you an honest man in my book.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 12:40 PM
I'm with Reload3006. I have done it before as well. Recently as a matter of fact.

ErikO
01-11-2012, 12:43 PM
Jim, relax. You're in good company here. I haven't been a slow-pay here but I have been on the internet for a while now...

Muddy Creek Sam
01-11-2012, 12:49 PM
Jim.

Get out your wet noodle and flagellate yourself. Happens to all of us on occasion.

Sam :D

GLL
01-11-2012, 12:50 PM
After I retired I bought one of those small "white board" things and hung it above my work bench. I can use a dry-erase marker to keep a list of "things to do". I see the list several times a day ! It keeps me up to date even though the old memory does not work as well any more ! :)

Jerry

Jim
01-11-2012, 12:57 PM
Y'all talkin' about makin' a list. I forget to make the dang list!:holysheep

C.F.Plinker
01-11-2012, 01:00 PM
I make lists but I can't remember how many there are or where I put them.

Jim Flinchbaugh
01-11-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm only 47 and suffer from CRS, cant remember s___

I had to resort to carrying a small pocket notebook

If the other party is anything like you appear to b, all will be forgiven, provided you made good

williamwaco
01-11-2012, 01:09 PM
Jim,

I can see your beard.

You were just having a "senior moment" ( Or two. )

Been there. Done that. Got the T Shirt.

Hardcast416taylor
01-11-2012, 03:21 PM
I have a feeling that other fella` understands a simple slip of the memory process. I`m proud of you, Jim, for making such a post.Robert[/I]

edler7
01-11-2012, 03:24 PM
Seems like the teflon on the brain gets a little thicker every year.

Nothing sticks anymore.

Jim
01-11-2012, 03:41 PM
It appears that I am my harshest critic and judge. That may be the case, but it is what it is. I make mistakes like everybody does, but I have no patience for negligence and complacency. I was taught that excuses are only acceptable to the one that makes them. Daddy told me "When you screw up, you stand up and own up."

x101airborne
01-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Dont feel bad. A new member here decided to purchase 750 50 cal solids and 250 hollow points from me. I told him 120.00 for the thousand boolits shipped. He told me he sent the payment out on the 5th of December. Never got it, and he started wondering if I was messing him around. On the 27th of December I sent him the first 500 boolits on faith since I still had not gotten the money. 29th of December, it showed up and I shipped the rest of the boolits out immediately. I still dont know if he really believes me or not, but I know I did my best.
I applaud you for your honesty.
When you are honest and fair in life, it is a lot easier to look people in the eye.

OBIII
01-11-2012, 05:34 PM
:cry: And here I've been thinking since I first talked with you in chat, what a fine, upstanding, honest, forthright American this man is. This just helps to prove that I was right.
Semper Fi, Jim. [smilie=s:

mroliver77
01-11-2012, 05:51 PM
I used to be able to keep books in my head. Appointments, car mileage till oil change, torque specs etc. These days I can forget what I am searching for on Google before I get it typed in! Sometimes while hunt and peck typing a reply on the forum my thought evaporates and it whisked off to never never land. Sights going, memories goin we will stop there.
J

Pigslayer
01-11-2012, 06:01 PM
Jim, you are so very right! I don't mind being a little late with the mortgage, or utilities or car payment. Those creditors will survive. But my friends . . . now that's different. Not that I haven't done exactly what you have . . . it's just different.

Pigslayer
01-11-2012, 06:04 PM
I used to be able to keep books in my head. Appointments, car mileage till oil change, torque specs etc. These days I can forget what I am searching for on Google before I get it typed in! Sometimes while hunt and peck typing a reply on the forum my thought evaporates and it whisked off to never never land. Sights going, memories goin we will stop there.
J

You're not alone.

Crawdaddy
01-11-2012, 07:37 PM
Jim, we have all done it. Dont beat yourself up. Apologize to the guy and give him an extra buck. People are forgiving and understand.

DLCTEX
01-11-2012, 07:49 PM
I can totally relate. Not long ago I took an item on PIF and thought I posted an item in return. Later I got to thinking that no one took the item, but I could not find I had ever posted it. May have been one of those that I forgot to click "submit". I posted an item, but it was late. I've caught myself clicking "enter" like on facebook and that doesn't work. DUH! Or is it "post quick reply"?

Harter66
01-11-2012, 11:37 PM
I had a deal like that just before Christmas . A failure to comunicate clearly. We got it squared up he's happy I'm happy.

grisy11
01-11-2012, 11:55 PM
im 38 and that happens to me all the time

Lloyd Smale
01-12-2012, 06:33 AM
Im a bit anal about paying my bills on time. I just dont sleep well knowing im behind. My wife is just the oposite. We have seperate checking accounts and our own bills that are are seperate responsibilitys. Shes constantly getting calls that something is overdue or she bounced a check. It doesnt bother her in the least. I think she does it because she knows when they call ill end up paying the dammed bill! I can honestly say in the 55 years ive been on this world i cant remember ever being late on a bill other then when i was in the bad car wreck and in the hospital but even then when i realized it i had my dad take money out of his account to pay them until i could get out and reimburse him. Credit is the biggest downfall to this country. No other place on earth lets a man buy as much stuff without money and its a total rip off the ammount of money they make off of you when you do borrow but i was raised to believe it you took a mans money under any circumstance you paid him back. You did this before you even went grocery shopping!

Olevern
01-12-2012, 07:40 AM
I'm only 47 and suffer from CRS, cant remember s___

When my granddaughter was about four, she was with us and I had forgotten something, she musta heard the above phrase (CRS) in relationship to my memory from her father, cause she said "Grampy, are you having one of those can't remember".....and here she paused and got a wild look in her eyes, cause she knew grandpa and grandma didn't tolerate foul language.....then continued "stuff moments?" (in relief that her quick wit had saved the day).

Ever since then she refers to it as CRS, without giving details.

cajun shooter
01-12-2012, 09:01 AM
I will say this as a constructive criticism and hope it's taken that way. I'm now 64 and will turn 65 on 4/15.
I had a 3.9 grade average in school and being very fortunate to not even study for my tests.
Well that all changed as I have those CRN moments quite a few times, they are not every week or so but every day. I rely on my wife to back me up along with a pen and paper.
I have found that when I make a purchase or deal with anyone including forum members that during the mail exchange or call I'm taking notes from one of three tablets on my Lap Top desk. As soon as that is done I proceed to make a box label and make up a USPS box. This is done on every deal as soon as the first contact has been made.
The first person in your deal held up his end and you should knowing that you have this problem that we all have done the same.
I did a few swaps that involved the same member and on both deals I sent out his items on the next day. He advised that he was sending his money on the next day also. It never came about and took over a month on both deals for me to be paid.
I will not do any more deals with this person.
If you are going to make deals and are aware of your memory slow down then take steps to avoid them.
You can't receive absolution from the members and should give this guy a little something extra; such as a book, bottle of wine, or if you are short on funds a card will suffice. This will show that you are sincere in what you say by following through this time.
As I said from the start this is meant in a positive tone and I hope it is received that way but a simple that's alright Jim from anyone is not what is needed. Take Care from One who Knows David AKA Cajun Shooter AKA Fairshake

Reload3006
01-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Cajun I hope you take this the right way. Every one has made mistakes. Whether your Christian or not (I happen to be) Jesus died because we cant be perfect. You say make an extra effort. You dont know that Jim didnt do that. I do see and know that He set himself up for public humiliation because he made a mistake and (olny the Lord knows his heart) seems truly repentant about it. If we all had store fronts trust would not be necessary. Cash and carry. But since we are spread across the whole world a leap of faith has to be taken from one of two people the buyer or the seller. Some times we get burned. Most of the time folks are honest. I precieve that Jim was raised the same way I was by men who taught us the our word was our bond. I can still hear my grandfather say "Danny, a man is only as good as his word. If his word isn't any good the man isnt any good." But I also know that forgiveness is a virtue we all should be striving for. Jim certainly didnt have to go public like he did. He could have just PMed the guy and said I messed up. What can I do to make it right. But he didn't choose the easy way out. I for one respect that. Also I view dealings on sites like this the same as lending money to people and I have told all my kids this Do not ever loan money you ever expect to see again. Because you will get burned and it will eat you up. So Mr Cajun holding on to wrongs only hurt you. as far as the guy who was late pay do you really believe he even thinks about you? nope but you are still burned about him. Think about it.

Ickisrulz
01-12-2012, 12:59 PM
I will say this as a constructive criticism and hope it's taken that way. I'm now 64 and will turn 65 on 4/15.
I had a 3.9 grade average in school and being very fortunate to not even study for my tests.
Well that all changed as I have those CRN moments quite a few times, they are not every week or so but every day. I rely on my wife to back me up along with a pen and paper.
I have found that when I make a purchase or deal with anyone including forum members that during the mail exchange or call I'm taking notes from one of three tablets on my Lap Top desk. As soon as that is done I proceed to make a box label and make up a USPS box. This is done on every deal as soon as the first contact has been made.
The first person in your deal held up his end and you should knowing that you have this problem that we all have done the same.
I did a few swaps that involved the same member and on both deals I sent out his items on the next day. He advised that he was sending his money on the next day also. It never came about and took over a month on both deals for me to be paid.
I will not do any more deals with this person.
If you are going to make deals and are aware of your memory slow down then take steps to avoid them.
You can't receive absolution from the members and should give this guy a little something extra; such as a book, bottle of wine, or if you are short on funds a card will suffice. This will show that you are sincere in what you say by following through this time.
As I said from the start this is meant in a positive tone and I hope it is received that way but a simple that's alright Jim from anyone is not what is needed. Take Care from One who Knows David AKA Cajun Shooter AKA Fairshake

This is a very good post and excellent advice for all of us. We all make mistakes and should try our best to compensate for our known weaknesses so they don't become a problem for others.

Jim
01-12-2012, 05:16 PM
Guys, let's park this thread, OK? Everybody's had their say and now it's time to give it a rest.

Ickisrulz
01-12-2012, 05:51 PM
Cajun I hope you take this the right way. Every one has made mistakes. Whether your Christian or not (I happen to be) Jesus died because we cant be perfect.

I'm sorry but this reference to Jesus’ perfection in this context has bothered me a little. Forgetting to do something is not a sin. Making a legitimate mistake is not an offense to God. Jesus was a carpenter and I’m sure he cut a board or two too short. That's speculation, but in Luke 8:30, he misjudged the number of demons the man was possessed by. Not sins.

Perfection is called for and expected in the morale realm, the way we deal with God and each other: “You therefore must be perfect, as your heavenly Father is perfect.” Matthew 5:48.

waynem34
01-12-2012, 06:43 PM
I forgot what I was going to say.

oneokie
01-12-2012, 06:48 PM
Locked by OP request.