PDA

View Full Version : sad news today

wgr
01-11-2012, 12:05 AM
my son called and said he would be going to Afganistan in feb. he,s got a little one that just 10 mo. old. i know he most likely wants to go do his duty. but ill still worry about him. tried to tell him all i could about being in a war but its never enough. thinks for letting me vent some

Alvarez Kelly
01-11-2012, 12:18 AM
My Son-in-law is there now. To say his wife, my daughter, is always worried is an understatement.

There are a lot of brave young men doing their duty as they see it. I am proud of them all.

wgr
01-11-2012, 12:29 AM
My Son-in-law is there now. To say his wife, my daughter, is always worried is an understatement.

There are a lot of brave young men doing their duty as they see it. I am proud of them all.

very proud

largom
01-11-2012, 12:33 AM
I am proud of them also, but it's a shame that their sacrifice will be for nothing.

Larry

Crawdaddy
01-11-2012, 12:37 AM
Be assured that their commitment to country and personal sacrifices do not go unnoticed. I too am proud and pray for all of our service men and woman.

Recluse
01-11-2012, 02:27 AM
I am proud of them also, but it's a shame that their sacrifice will be for nothing.

Larry

How do you figure?

:coffee:

Mumblypeg
01-11-2012, 06:59 AM
I took my brother to the airport last thursday. After a couple of weeks training in the states he will head to Afganistan. He's working through the State Dept. as medical personal, non combatant(until you have to). He recently came back from South Sudan after a year there. I asked him if he had a death wish, he said "No, the money's good.". I do worry some but he's been all over the world doing all sorts of things plus 20 years in the Army. Me... I like staying here.
Here's hoping your son stays safe and comes home before you know it.:drinks:

Rick Hodges
01-11-2012, 07:45 AM

Larry

I don't know where you are coming from Sir, but the man is sending his son to war. Sacrifice for nothing??? Who the hell do you think you are to sit in your ivory tower and proclaim the sacrifice for nothing?

If nothing else men sacrifice for their fellow troops...they help protect each other. No war was ever perfect. No war ever ended war or insured peace. There will always be wars and brave, scared young men who fight them...and they leave their concerned parents and loved ones behind while they do this. And you sir, have the unmitigated gall to declare the sacrifice meaningless!! Nothing!!! You sir, piss me off. You ought to at least have the decency to know when to keep your mouth shut.

jeepguy242
01-11-2012, 08:02 AM
god bless all our troops, here at home, and abroad, may they all return safe, sound, and PROUD, that they protected our way of life!!! and the USA is a better place for having them do what they have done!!!

Thank you...

justingrosche
01-11-2012, 08:28 AM
As was already stated, God bless our troops. Hope your Son returns soon, safe and sound.
I don't know largom (Larry), I don't know what his political ideals are, but I wouldn't think that he meant what he said the way it came across. Be assured, we are Patriots on this forum, one and all.

Hickory
01-11-2012, 08:35 AM
My son was there.
He'll probably be safer there with a gun,
then in Detroit without a gun.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 08:49 AM
First I have a son in the Air-force and one in the Army. My son in the army is requesting to be deployed to Afghanistan. He feels its his duty. My Son that's now in the Air Force was in the Navy and was deployed with his squadron to the Gulf and Iraq several times. I am also a Vietnam vet. I do understand your fear.
we were talking here at work the other day. For the person who feels like our sacrifices were for nothing and for those that think the Iraq invasion was for nothing. It was for a lot. whether intentional or unintentional whether WMD was found or not it took the fight to the enemy and allowed us to fight on ground of our choosing. I have a whole litany of beliefs about the reason for the Iraq invasion. Personally I believe it was more for rel-estate than for WMD but Saddam Hussein gave us a legal justification for it and it allowed us to take the fight to the enemy. and I believe it was very successful. the fighting went on in Afghanistan and Iraq and not in New York , LA or any where in the U.S. so there was a lot of sacrifice and a lot of blood shed but it was NOT FOR NOTHING every evening when you go to bed in the safety of your own home be thankful that Our sons were fighting in the Mid East and not in Manhattan.

cbrick
01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Prayers for the safe return of your son and all of our troops.

Makes me proud of America that she produces young people of such high caliber.

Rick

DLCTEX
01-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I ask each of you with loved ones serving to give them my heartfelt thanks for their sacrifice. And I thank each of you for your sacrifice also. To serve your country honorably is never "for nothing" and is the greatest gift you can give to your fellow Americans and the world.

ErikO
01-11-2012, 11:22 AM
I'd never say that someone's sacrifice is for nothing especially if it is for something I do believe in. Some actions are less noble than others but the action of putting yourself in harm's way so another doesn't have to is at the top of the list.

Good luck and godspeed to all who serve and their support at home.

01-11-2012, 11:28 AM
wgr, I salute your son's committment.

Volunteering to go to war requires much soul searching and no small amount of doubt. When I volunteered to go to Viet Nam, my father, a World War II Army Air Forces veteran, was essentially silent. Recently, my sister told me that he worried the entire time I was gone.

Be assured that the vast majority of Americans support your son and his decision.

Be proud of your son and give him and his family all the support you can. May he return to all of you safe and sound.

Love Life
01-11-2012, 11:32 AM
WGR- I hope only the best for your son. Do you know what part of Afghanistan he is headed to? When you get an address for him over there shoot me a PM. I know what he will need there and will send a care package with all the goodies.

Largom- That did not need to be said.

Firebricker
01-11-2012, 01:38 PM
WGR, Please tell your son there are lots of people here that are very thankful to his dedication to our country. I will pray for his safe return. FB

jcwit
01-11-2012, 02:29 PM
Largom, what a thing to say!

Glad to see most here are proud of your son wgr, and wish him the best and a safe return.

May God watch over him while away.

NVcurmudgeon
01-11-2012, 06:16 PM
Two of the things I thank God for every day are this uniquely free country I am blessed with living in, and the magnificent young servicemen and women who make that freedom possible. Also I pray for the safe return of our troops and the speedy recovery of the wounded.

Reload3006
01-11-2012, 06:20 PM
two of the things i thank god for every day are this uniquely free country i am blessed with living in, and the magnificent young servicemen and women who make that freedom possible. Also i pray for the safe return of our troops and the speedy recovery of the wounded.

amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rafe Covington
01-11-2012, 07:14 PM
God Bless all the men and women who are serving or have served, just a crying shame the Gov't doesn't appreciate it. I sincerely hope your family members make back home safe.

Rafe

hiram1
01-11-2012, 07:30 PM
Thank God for him and the others.or we could be fighting them in are streets

Houndog
01-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Been there, done that (Nam) got the t shirt, along with a bullet hole to prove it. I ask GOD every day for the safety of our patriots in uniform and their safe return. We all should be proud and honored so many of our young people put Country above their own self intrests to protect us. May GOD look over them and bless them forever.

wgr
01-11-2012, 08:19 PM
my son knows that freedom is not free. i think most young men with any upbringing at all know this and are proud to help keep us free

GT27
01-11-2012, 08:33 PM
wgr,have faith in God, and your son,I'm sure you instilled all of you, and your wife's values,and please let him know that we all as a nation appreciate all of his effort to preserve our freedom! May God bless your family!

leadman
01-11-2012, 08:46 PM
I wish all the best for the service people serving in the war zones and the others just doing their job out of the "limelight" supporting others.
My nephew recently returned from Afganistan safely so am thankful for that. I haven't seen him in awhile as we live in Az and his wife and his folks live in Michigan.

Rick Hodges
01-11-2012, 09:01 PM
Wgr,

I apologize. In my wrath of the earlier post I neglected to thank you and your family and offer my prayers for the safe return of your son. I will be thinking of you and him. Thank you.

Rick

Harter66
01-11-2012, 11:24 PM
My boy spent 30 months over there, worried every day of it.

MtGun44
01-11-2012, 11:43 PM
God Bless them all. My niece's husband has had 7 deployments, scares me every time
he goes over. His is back now, hope he stays for a while.

Bill

wgr
01-12-2012, 01:17 AM
[QUOTE=Rick Hodges;1540729]Wgr,

I apologize. In my wrath of the earlier post I neglected to thank you and your family and offer my prayers for the safe return of your son. I will be thinking of you and him. Thank you.

Rick[/QUOTE you sir have nothing to apologize for. and thinks to all of you for your kinds words

beagle
01-13-2012, 11:40 AM
I sympathize with you. Thankfully, I haven't had to send one of my sons in harm's way but I know how he feels. I spent two tours in VN and felt that I was doing right and went without a hassle. First time I saw my dad cry so I know how you feel.

Unfortunately, there is a vast difference between the feelings of politicians that start these things and the Army/Armed Forces that carries out the orders.

The Armed Forces beleives strongly in what they're doing and in their fellow soldiers and want to do their duty and are true professionals.

The politicians don't beleive in anything but what they want, power and the next chunk of graft that is coming their way.

But, we have to pray for our soldiers, be thankful for their dedication to duty and try to clean up the political mess and hope that the faith of our soldiers and our desire to somehow straighten things out triump in the end./beagle

mstarling
01-13-2012, 11:58 AM
wgr,

Please thank your son for his service on our behalf ... and accept our "thank you" for yours in supporting him and his family.

One of my son's and his wife have both spent time at the point of the spear in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is very challenging service. Is not easy to wait at home. Is part of the life for those who serve us so nobly.

God's speed and safe travels to your son and his compatriots ... patriots all!

fatnhappy
01-13-2012, 07:44 PM
thank you for raising a son that values America enough to raise his right hand.

God speed and good hunting.

Bullet Caster
01-13-2012, 08:03 PM
WGR,
Thank you for your son's sacrifice and dedication to duty. And thank you for having to endure it. My prayers are for you and your son as well as all the great military people who sacrifice a part of their lives for us. I'm also a Vietnam vet. BC

snuffy
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
WGR, Thanks for having a son that volunteered for service. My son spent a tour in each sandbox, I aged ten times as fast with worry during that time. He's 82nd airborne, now has decided to continue in the Army reserves as a drill instructor.

I relied on my anchor in the Lords word. His anchor held strong as well, he payed each night and read the bible daily. The prayer warriors back home kept him strong, protected him, kept him alive. Twice there were near misses that without the faith and prayer could/would have killed him and his compatriots.

gew98
01-13-2012, 08:50 PM
I don't know where you are coming from Sir, but the man is sending his son to war. Sacrifice for nothing??? Who the hell do you think you are to sit in your ivory tower and proclaim the sacrifice for nothing?

If nothing else men sacrifice for their fellow troops...they help protect each other. No war was ever perfect. No war ever ended war or insured peace. There will always be wars and brave, scared young men who fight them...and they leave their concerned parents and loved ones behind while they do this. And you sir, have the unmitigated gall to declare the sacrifice meaningless!! Nothing!!! You sir, piss me off. You ought to at least have the decency to know when to keep your mouth shut.

Rick...the guy is from maryland...a demorat stronghold so expect that from that AO.

gew98
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
my son called and said he would be going to Afganistan in feb. he,s got a little one that just 10 mo. old. i know he most likely wants to go do his duty. but ill still worry about him. tried to tell him all i could about being in a war but its never enough. thinks for letting me vent some

WGR ; On a good note...if your boy likes hot sauce PM me with your addy or his APO addy and I'd gladly mail him some moonlite BBQ hot and or very hot sauce. It's the shiznit !!.

cbrick
01-13-2012, 09:24 PM
I am proud of them also, but it's a shame that their sacrifice will be for nothing. Larry

I could be wrong of course and largom has taken a bunch of flack for that comment but when I read it I didn't take it as any sort of slam or put down regarding our troops . . .

Rather as a sad but true commentary of our troops Commander in Chief. If that is correct largom could well be right.

How sad is that?

Rick

wgr
01-13-2012, 09:30 PM
WGR ; On a good note...if your boy likes hot sauce PM me with your addy or his APO addy and I'd gladly mail him some moonlite BBQ hot and or very hot sauce. It's the shiznit !!.

you live in close to the moonlite. i go there from time to time. i live in perry county ind.

Rockydog
01-15-2012, 01:18 AM
wgr, God speed to your son on his mission. I personally did not serve and until my son joined the Navy had no idea the sacrifices that Military families make. Thank him for his service. RD

bowfin
01-15-2012, 01:38 AM
We have a family friend going back to Afghanistan. He is Army Airborne.

What concerns him most is he will be going back as a team leader, so he has two other people to worry about besides himself.

He finds himself wondering what good he can do there. I told him the Good Lord is putting him there for a reason, even if we can't figure out one.