I am looking for Loading Data for a 45 Colt
250 Grain Gold Dot HP
Titegroup Powder

Lefty SRH
01-10-2012, 10:20 PM
*RUGER ONLY LOADS* lists a 250gr XTP starting at 8.0 and stopping at 9.5

MtGun44
01-11-2012, 12:04 AM
You have several loading manuals, right? And you are just verifying that the loads you
already looked up are OK as a double or triple check, right?

If not, you really need to be going to your manuals or to a web site like Hodgdon Powder,
where they have data for Hodgdon, IMR and Winchester powders for free.

Maybe I am taking this wrong, and you know all about this, if so, I apologize. If not,
I am just trying to help you be more careful and stay safe during handloading.

You need multiple, credible sources, not some guy you never met on the web, without a
validation cross check. How about if I told you that just scooping the case full was OK? I
am not saying that the info from Lefty is wrong, just that without you checking multiple
published sources, you are taking a bit of a risk.

That load (full case) I mentioned IS NOT SAFE, but somebody might tell you that and you
would, without any way to verify it, blow the gun to smithereens and maybe hurt
yourself.

If you have books, but just not for that exact bullet, then the thing to understand is that data
for any bullet of the same weight will be safe at the starting level, as a general rule. So, if you
have data for a 250 Sierra JHP, you can use the starting load and then work up towards
what the books (plural) say is OK, watching for pressure signs like excessively flat primers
or sticky extraction. With a different boolit and the differences in individual guns, you may
not be able to get to the max published load without excessive pressures, but the starting
load should be safe.

Stay safe!

Bill

Wayne Smith
01-11-2012, 09:32 AM
Realize that this is your first post here. We don't know you, your experience or lack of it, caution or lack of it, or willingness to push beyond safe limits or the lack of it. A little introduction in your first post would go a long way to address this issue.

Bill is right, and if you don't have lots of data at your fingertips you need to get some before you start loading.

runfiverun
01-11-2012, 10:24 AM
there are a couple of pressure zones that a question like that will cover.
titegroup is best suited to the lower 14k range.

Datsun
01-11-2012, 03:56 PM
Thank you (all) for your comments; I am very new to reloading (since Christmas). The only thing i am newer at is posting on Forums of any kind. I realize that i was not forthcoming with much information. When i first wrote the post i re-read it and seemed like i had written a book. Being a little embarrassed i went as extreme in the other direction.

I have a lot of data and i am acquiring more. I am the type that will look at data from three different places and then still ask everyone's opinion. I have purchased a few books and manuals (ABC's of Reloading, 2012 Complete Reloading Data Manual, Hodgdon Data, Alliant Data). I don't have Speer Manual #14 yet (I plan to order it today). I am a little annoyed that i cant seem to find there data online (after paying so much for there bullets). I have been loading 9mm jacketed rounds with Bullseye, and Titegroup and have felt very comfortable with it (I just use starter loads for now). I just got new dies for my 45 Colt (modern gun but not a rugger; just a knock off). I have ordered a bunch of 200 grain lead bullets and I have data for those from a couple sources that matches up (Data that came with Lee dies, and Hodgdon data). While waiting for the lead bullets I came across a box of the Gold Dot 250 Grain at a local shop. Anxious to try the 45 colt loads i bought them before looking for the Data. After everything i have read i assume that i could use data for the hornady xtp data but i don't want to do anything without double checking it first, and the Gold Dot seem to have some controversy around it as to what the proper velocity should be. I am concerned that a lit load with that bullet may be as dangerous as a hot load.

I have enjoyed reading this forum and look froward to any advice i get here.

If i go with the full scoop idea; do i leave room for the bullet or do i just force it in?

Thanks,

Chad

Bob Krack
01-11-2012, 04:12 PM
Chad,

Your response is very refreshing. As an old man loving to shoot and not really able (much) any more, may I suggest that you keep looking and keep asking. STAY on the low end of the published information until you learn pressure signs.

I'll try to remember to look up some .45 Colt loads by this weekend and I think that the lead boolits are a good way to learn what you are doing and what you want to do.

Welcome to the insane asylum and have fun here!

Bob

454PB
01-11-2012, 04:29 PM
It sounds like you have the right "cautious" mind set. A newbie can get into all kinds of trouble by diving in without referring to good, reliable, published information.

In general terms, bullets (or boolits) of the same weight can be substituted into published load recipes, but it has to be done carefully. Start by using recommended starting loads, and keep in mind the fact that seating depth (which can reduce case capacity) can increase pressure dramatically.

Also, cast boolits produce less friction than jacketed bullets, which changes pressure. Substituting a jacketed bullet of equal weight into a recipe for a cast or swaged boolit is not a good idea, but doing the inverse is generally fine........but remember to mind that seating depth.

Here's one place to get basic load data on line:

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

runfiverun
01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
your scoop should be in the 5=6 gr range for an @ 14k load.

bowenrd
01-11-2012, 09:56 PM
FWIW the 45 Colt loves lead and Unique

MtGun44
01-12-2012, 12:02 AM
Ok, good to hear. Welcome - tried to not be too hard, but we really do worry about new
folks being too inclined to try whatever some guy on the net might tell them. I seriously
want to make sure everyone has a safe and wonderfull reloading experience.

Of course, the only powder that the full scoop works for is black powder and there it
is REQUIRED.

Here is some good data from Hodgdon. Generally, the powder makers provide the data,
not the bullet makers.

http://data.hodgdon.com/cartridge_load.asp

They report that 5.5 gr of Titegroup is a starting load with a 250 Gr Hornady XTP. This should
be OK with your Gold Dot, too. Be aware that this is a smidge of powder in a huge case. You
can fit probably about 4-5 times that in the case, so be careful. I put in the powder with the cases
in a case holder tray and then inspect them all with a strong flashlight. High or low is easily seen.
Others put the powder in a case and then IMMEDIATELY put on the bullet/boolit and seat it.
Figure out what works for you and make sure you get only one charge in there.

Stay safe, and have fun!

Bill

Wayne Smith
01-12-2012, 01:46 PM
AAH, Bill, you beat me to it.

Yeah, the full scoop is a great idea with the original Holy Black Powder. You actually have to leave a little room for the boolit but compress the powder some as you seat the boolit. It's worth a try, the original way that cartridge was loaded. I load my 44-40's that way, it's a blast.

Datsun
01-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Thanks again for all the info; I am inclined to go with the data from the powder i am using (Hodgdon) like Bill said. I was questioning it mostly because the Gold Dot Bullet seemed so unique. My lead bullets finally arrived so i have everything set up for them for now.

I am using a turret press (Lee 4 Hole) with auto powder dispenser. In the beginning i weighed every load before i set the bullet until i was comfortable that it was consistent. Now besides the visual check on each load I weigh every 3rd or 4th round.