PDA

View Full Version : Having trouble having range lead

Jason30-30
01-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Im having trouble finding lead where i shoot! I look where the targets are at and find a couple of FMJ but never more than that. Im used to WW but i would like to pick up the rang lead.

How do you guys find it?

Duckdog
01-10-2012, 09:43 PM
If I don't shoot into my rubber mulch trap, I wait until it rains to settle the sand a bit. But, like I said, I usually just dig them out of the mulch and melt 'em down again!

btroj
01-10-2012, 09:48 PM
I pick up what I can from the berm each time out. Might not be lots each time out but a few pounds here and a few pounds there might equal 100 pounds per year.

It is a long term thing to me.

C.F.Plinker
01-10-2012, 10:26 PM
If you are trying to pick it up off the ground wait until just after there had been a good rain storm. The pickings will be best at the bottom of a berm, preferably after a match if that range is used for them. If you are after more than casual pick up lead you will need a shovel and shaker screen because the boolits will be buried in the berm, not laying close to the surface.

Jason30-30
01-10-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks guys i WILL have to wait till a rainstorm because i shoot (everyone in my area) in a rural hillside of town that is a large area to cover to only find a handfull of jackets.

Jal5
01-11-2012, 12:14 PM
I pick up what I can see lying on the berm or at the base of it where the targets are set up. It is best after a rain storm. I usually can gather half of a coffee plastic container in about 30-45 mins. each time and will collect altogether several 5 gal. buckets full from roughly April - October the normal shooting months in Ohio. That is usually plenty for my casting/reloading needs for the year. Joe

runfiverun
01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
we shoot at a berm i find most of the boolits behind it.

Ole
01-11-2012, 08:54 PM
You could always get a 5 gallon bucket and invest in a 1/4" steel plate for the bottom and fill it up with crumb rubber.

Reuse your own bullets! :Fire:

I realize firing into such a small area isn't always fun.

Duckdog
01-11-2012, 10:41 PM
You don't need the steel plate. A rubber paver in front and a rubber paver in back of a plastic tote filled with rubber mulch, (crumbs), will stop everything I've shot at it yet up to 45/70 and 30/06 @ 2150 fps. Nothing has shot throught the back paver, but a couple have touched it.

Even if you shoot a hole in the tote, $3 buys another one and in about 15 minutes you can have anew one made. It's nice to get all of your own bullets back!